Allergy testing while on immunosuppressants?

I'm pretty sure I've read somewhere that skin prick testing for food and environmental allergies is ineffective while on immunosuppressants like pred or ciclosporin but does anyone know if blood tests (RAST) to check for food and environmental allergies are accurate while on immunosuppressants?

If you have had testing done, did it show anything (like wheat allergy or pollen allergy) that you have been able to treat and reduce proteinuria that way?

Edited September 7, 2009 at 6:25 am

10 replies. Join the discussion

My daughter had allergy testing done (it was highly recommended by an MD at Stanford) but the skin test was inconclusive due to the Prednisone. Then she had a small break from the Pred. (off for about 3 days ) and we took her in for bloodwork for alllergy testing (since she started spilling again by the third day, so this was our biggest window in a long time) but again the tests did not show much and the allergist felt b/c there was still too much Pred. in her body. She continues to rub her eyes/ face constantly and has tummy aches everyday, but she has not had anymore allergy testing (now on Cytoxan).

I'VE BEEN WONDERING THE SAME THING ABOUT ALLERGY TESTING WHILE ON PREDS. MY CHILD WANTS A PET, BUT HAS ASTHMA. I WANT TO FIND OUT IF HE'S ALLERGIC TO CATS OR DOGS. HAS ANYONE BEEN TOLD THAT THEY CANT HAVE A PET BECAUSE OF STEROID USE, OR THAT IT'S NOT A GOOD IDEA WITH HAVING NS?

Hi Gailrd,

We have been told that pets are fine. We always had many animals at home and when our son got sick we were told that only reptiles were not okay (risk of salmonella). Our son was diagnosed with FSGS over two years ago. He has been on several meds, but mostly rituximab and cellcept. We have a dog, cats, rabbits, birds and fish and we have never had any problems because of this. Actually when he first got sick and we spent three months living at the hospital because he was too sick to go home, we were allowed to keep out pet bunny at the hospital with us. Most people find this hard to believe but our Hoppy lived in our hospital room for two months with us. The nurses even brought some of the other kids to visit her. That really was the most horrible time of my life and having her around made things a bit easier. I find having pets relaxing and my son just loves them.

We just got a dog too and it has made a horrible year a lot better. I had my daughter tested for dog allergies first and she tested negative (unfortunately my other daughter has turned out to be allergic to dogs). When the doctor does the skin test, they do a histamine test first to make sure that your body is responding. We were on the full dose of prednisone during both of our skin tests and found out that our daughter has horrendous food and seasonal allergies. We have eliminated the foods, but the seasonal ones are tough. I often wonder if her MCD would improve if we could prevent, cure the seasonal allergies?? We are going to try sublingual immunotherapy (drops that are similar to allergy shots) to see if it helps with the seasonal allergies. I will keep everyone posted.

My son has been on prednisone constantly for the past 2 years for his Nephrotic Syndrome. He has finally made it to 3 months off prednisone and we have noticed a HUGE increase in his allergies and skin reactions. His eczema has flared up and he has had a few bouts of hives as well since stopping the prednisone. His doctors have told us that while you are prednisone, it suppresses the allergic reactions, and it often used to treat severe hives and allergic rashes. I am having figure out all over again what he is reacting to, but I will take that over prednisone any day!

Hi EthanMom
Sorry to hear about his allergies - pred masks most allergies because it dampens down the overactive immune system that causes them.

Have his allergies caused him to relapse at all?

Hi~ We see a natural DR. on top of our Neph. When I was looking for info on testing for allergies we were told you have to wait at least 6 months after stopping Pred to get accurate results. We're still waiting...

I was told a few weeks ago by our midwife that they have a test that Chiropractors use. I guess they place a test strip on your tong and it can tell possible allergies. I don't know the name but I will look it up and post it.

I also read on this board of a mom who logs her childs food and found results. I will post the link to it also.

Good Luck!

His allergic reactions have caused him to relapse and spill protein in the past. But since he completed his Cytoxan treatments he has been doing great. Other than the skin reactions, he is growing and feeling so much better than he has in years. I am going to start keeping a food log as he just broke out in hives 2 days ago again!
I am hoping that the more time he is off prednisone the better his body will get at reacting?

Hi liqdsnk2

Thanks for your reply. I woud be interested to hear what the chiropractor uses - I've never heard of that before.

Ella

LauraG - that's really interesting that the skin test worked for you while on full dose of Pred. I'm going to look into that for my son now.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders