Agent Orange

Hi everyone. I have not posted in awhile, but I could really use some feedback. My daughter is almost 12 and was diagnosed with FSGS in July of 2010. Just this past month, I lost my step mom. I have now reconnected with my step sister. She was very close to my dad. She just shared with me the cause of my dad's kidney loss was being exposed to agent orange during the Korean war. I was always told he drank his kidneys away. I am going to get in touch with his V.A. benefits personal to see if they can help me get more information. I am just wondering if any of you have ever heard of this? I did do a search on this site,and found a conversation from awhile back that addressed agent orange as part of a serviceman's kidney loss, but could it be possible that this is why my daughter has FSGS? If so, is there different treatments? I am sharing this info with her nephrologists,but I would love to hear from any of you on this subject. Thanks!!

1 reply. Join the discussion

I am pretty sure that they didn't have Agent Orange until the Vietnam War ... might be wrong.

I do know that Round-Up has half the chemicals to make AO in it .... available at your favorite retailers, right now.

As far as your dad passing this on, through you, to your daughter, and her contracting FSGS ... I have read a lot of theories about FSGS. One conclusion that stands out is that even if a parent has FSGS, the odds of passing it on to a child seems to be very slim to none. So, two generations make the math slimmer.

The idea that most researchers prescribe to is that there is a genetic predisposition to FSGS within the patient to begin with and that some environmental trigger sets it off. We can second-guess this all day, and come up with as many answers as we started with. Lord knows, I've done that.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders