What are the right dosages of calcium, vitamin d, k2, and magenesium

I have slight osteopenia in my spine. -1.4 I also have low vitamin D, value of 24. My blood calcium level was normal at 9.9. So I want to start a supplement regimen, and I'm really overwhelmed. I need help figuring out the dosages, the types, and what times to take the supplements. I know some disturb sleep, and I know some shouldn't be taken together. Can you help please?

Calcium: How much, what type?
Vitamin D: I'm thinking at least 3,000iu. Can it be all at once?
Magnesium: How much? What type? Can it be all at once?
K2 Mk4: How much? What time(s)?

What times do I take each? I know magnesium and calcium need to be taken separately right?

9 replies. Join the discussion

if you are low in D you should start at 5000 but check with doc.

Buy and read "Your Bones" by Lara Pizzorno.

Hi mgarcia10

I'm shocked that your doctor hasn't advised you about dosage of vitamin D and calcium. Make sure you buy the D3 form and not D2. Unfortunately everyone who posts an answer to you will have slightly different ideas on what and how much you should take. I totally agree with Penalopy that you should really check with your doctor. Many of us have osteoporosis, so our requirements may well be different to yours

I had a normal calcium level, so I aim for about 1200mg total calcium per day. You must take into account what calcium containing foods you are eating.

As a rough guide 100ml of semi skimmed milk contains 120mg of calcium and 11mg of Magnesium. Hard cheese like English cheddar contains about 730mg of calcium and 29mg of Magnesium per 100g. If you eat a lot of dairy products it is well worth measuring the volume of the milk and the weight of the cheese to calculate the amount of Ca and Mg you are getting from these products. You can find lots of information about the assay values of common foods by looking on the internet, books and food packaging.

I believe that the ratio of Calcium : Magnesium should be between 1 ; 1 and 2 : 1. I weigh as much of my food as possible and if my calcium intake is say 1200mg, I would aim for say 600 to 800mg of magnesium. I eat quite a lot of dairy, so my intake of calcium from supplements is quite low. At the moment I take calcium carbonate but I want to change over to a form which is easier to absorb. Other folk will tell you which is best. I've been told that calcium citrate is better than the carbonate.
I buy chelated magnesium from our local health food shop (Holland and Barrett) which is the glycinate form and easy to absorb., without upsetting my guts.

I believe that calcium is best taken with food and don't take more than 500mg TOTAL calcium at anyone time. I think this is the maximum that the body can deal with and you certainly don't want any 'spare' to be deposited in arteries etc. Although Magnesium can be taken with calcium, its best to take it at least 30mins after a meal, as magnesium is very alkali and can alter the acidic pH of your stomach contents, which may slow down the absorption of certain nutrients contained within the food. I believe vit B12 is one of these.

Any fat soluble vitamin showed be taken with fat containing food to get the maximum absorption. This includes vit D and vit K2. If you look on the Dr. Mercola website you can get information on K2. I believe that most of the work looking at preventing the buildup of calcium in the arteries was done on K2 MK-7. I take a 45mcg tablet (Dr's Best) twice a day.

Vitamin K2 MK-4 has a short half life and is active in the body for less than 2hrs. It is used as the standard OP treatment in Japan at doses of 45mg. This is a high dose and is expensive to buy. I assume that this would be taken in small doses, at varying times during the day. to give a total of 45mg. It hasn't been tested to the same extent as MK-7 in humans, in relation to stopping calcium being deposited in the arteries. Dr Mercola has stated that it has been tested in animals and would appear to help to stop Ca buildup. If you want to take vitamin K2 to stop Ca buildup the MK-7 may be a better buy. On the other hand if you are taking it to aid bone quality the MK-4 at a higher dose may be better. I take 5mg of MK-4 per day, but wonder whether I am wasting my money taking it as one tablet, with it having such a short half life.

My OP is more severe so I also take prescription medication ie strontium ranelate. This is not available in the US, but strontium citrate is. I have tried both and had no problems with either. Recent papers suggest that the citrated form is probable as good as the ranelate. I used to buy the Dr's Best Strontium Bone Maker and take 680mg per night ( 2 X 340mg tablets). Strontium must be taken on an empty stomach with no food within 2 hrs of taking it, to get the best absorption rate.

After you have gathered all your information, I would suggest that you see your doctor again before spending out a lot of money on supplements, some of which you may not need.

Good Luck

Thank you so much for all your responses! LynH, thanks for taking the time to type all of that out. I really appreciate it.

My doc recommended 3,000 iu of Vitamin D, and 1,000mg of calcium. I think I get enough calcium from other sources though to lower that calcium recommendation. So, let's say I take a 600mg dose, do I take a 300mg dose of magnesium, or do I take a 2:1 ration of all of my daily calcium?

I've been taking a calcium carbonate and vitamin D3 combo, but after all my reading here I know I need to add K2 and magnesium. Also, the supplement is cacium carbonate. It makes me really nauseaus and I get headaches if I don't take it with a lot of food. So I want to try to switch to calcium citrate and see if I fare better.

If I'm fairly young, 35, and don't have any history of calfication or heart issues, would taking just 1-5mgs of K2 MK-4 be ok? Will it still help with not developing plaque in my arteries? Can it be taken just once a day? I read about heart palpitations with MK-7, and a lot of medicines already make my heart feel strange. I have a feelign I'll be one of those with this weird side effect.

M,

I think you may have better luck with calcium citrate. It's a little more expensive but is more easily digested.

Tom

I forgot to say, I take just K2-Mk4 (menatetrenone) 5mg without any Mk7. That way it won't affect my heart. I take it at breakfast, with my largest Ca supplement and Mg, and D3. That way it will be in my body when the other supplements are being digested.

Thanks Tom! Good advice. I will also look into Celiac Disease like you suggested.

Hi mgarcia10

If you are taking 600mg of calcium supplements ( hopefully not all at the same time, remember 500mg MAX at any one time) you could aim for 300mg of magnesium. BUT If you take dairy products which are rich in calcium, you really need to take this calcium into consideration too and take additional Mg. You can be flexible with the quantities, its all a matter of convenience and what strength of tablets you buy. As I said in my previous posting:

As a rough guide 100ml of semi skimmed milk contains 120mg of calcium and 11mg of Magnesium. Hard cheese like English cheddar contains about 730mg of calcium and 29mg of Magnesium per 100g. If you eat a lot of dairy products it is well worth measuring the volume of the milk and the weight of the cheese to calculate the amount of Ca and Mg you are getting from these products. You can find lots of information about the assay values of common foods by looking on the internet, books and food packaging.

The main thing is: don't worry about it, As long as you are taking some Mg it will help. If you have cardiac problems you perhaps should ask your doctor about the K2, although if he is anything like mine, he won't have heard of it!

Hi LynH,

I should take more than 300 mg of Mg, but I know that I'll get the runs if I do. Like you, my pcp and even my rheumatologist had no knowledge of K2 Mk4 or Mk7. Their focus seems to be on Rx meds. I did go to a lady doctor with a cold, and she told me that Vit-C will not help shorten a cold once it starts. She did say to take zinc lozenges (cold-eze, etc.) at the first sign of a cold, to coat the throat. That helps to shorten a cold and reduce the symptoms

Tom

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support NOF

Help the National Osteoporosis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Osteoporosis Foundation

Learn more about osteoporosis awareness and prevention

Discussion topics

Links and resources from NOF

Community leaders

Disclaimer

The National Osteoporosis Foundation would like to remind visitors and community members that the views and opinions expressed on this site are not necessarily those of NOF. Please consult your personal healthcare provider regarding any medical information that is shared on this site.