Vivian Goldschmidt Book?

Vivian Goldschmidt author of a book called 'The Bone Health Revolution'
http://saveourbones.com/get-started2.html#getstarted
Of course she reveals how to make the cure with no prescription drugs etc providing you buy her book (not availiable in shops). It's not cheap either so altruism ain't the motive.

Has anyone purchased this book and if so is the revelation worth knowing. Or is she someone else cynically exploiting the afflicted?

46 replies. Join the discussion

Hi Caff55! :-)
I actually ordered this book when I started my search on natural approaches to osteo. Basically she's advocating an alkaline vs acidic diet as well as supplements, exercise, and exposure to sun.
Her ideas aren't out in left field...they're pretty standard, and complement other readings I've done. It's easy and enjoyable to read, and there are some good recipes.
The book The Bone Building Solution also deals with this approach, and is probably one of the best I've read. I like that actual doctors support what Graci is saying, and I did start using the Greens+ Bone Builder product, although his book is so clear on what's important and required, that a person, (with the time and inclination), could probably create a very reasonable "green product" using their own food.
Hope this helps.

Hi Jo Anne

From I sample chapter I read online I got the impression that the info was already out there (as are lots of info).

You sort of confirm that in the main she is saying nothing new. Maybe it was new when she first said it. I don't know!

Is there any ecidence to that the suggested diet works?

Thanks for the reply.....Caff

I'm not familiar with the basics of the diet. Anyone willing to share?

I have Vivian Goldschmidt's book and it works. I had my bone density test done 2 weeks ago and my bones improved since my last scan. I followed what she says to do.

I also read Susan Brown's book but think that The Bone Health Revolution was less technical and easier to understand.

Vivian even helped me over the phone when I had a question. I have nothing but great things to say about this book. I hope this helps.

I looked at the author's ad. I'm always skeptical about those kinds of ads, the ones that don't really say anything. I've ordered her book (free!) through interlibrary loan from my local public library. I did this with "The Myth of Osteoporosis". I found that book to be interesting but in my mind, was not totally convinced that all I had to do was to get more sun, eat certain foods and BAM! my osteoporosis would reverse itself! Yes, osteoporosis has a different definition today than in 1994. But that being said, I for one do not want to end up like my mother, hunched over in a wheelchair, or like my grandmother who broke her hip and spent the last years of her life confined to a nursing home. It's hard to believe that every single drug company and nearly every single doctor in this world is out to 'get us' women by scaring us into believing that we all must take drugs to reverse this condition. Every doctor I've seen about my osteoporosis has also discussed nutrition, exercise, calcium supplements. etc. If your local public library does not have a copy of this book, save your money and ask them to borrow it through interlibrary loan. Michele

If you put in 'alkaline vs acidic diet' into google, you will get all sorts of interesting hits to read. All of them are selling something of course, but one actually had a list of so-called alkaline foods and acidic foods. For instance grapefruit was alkaline but oranges are acid. Of course, the acidic foods are mostly the naughty ones: meat, protein, dairy, junk food, pop, etc. Anyone going from the usual American diet of crap to an alkaline (mostly vegies, good oils, some fruits and nuts) is probably going to feel better and lose weight. Americans DO eat way too much meat, dairy and junk food, so naturally removing them from your diet is going to make you healthier! Whether or not this can reverse osteoporosis IN THE MAJORITY OF US, I doubt it. That's what these books claim. Before I believe that someone using just this diet reversed their bone loss, I would want to know more about their previous eating habits and life style. Just my opinion. Michele

Hi all'
The consensus seems more or less as I suspected in that the book has no revelation to reveal as all the advertising 'blurb' would have us believe.
Thanks all for your input! Caff

I have Susan Brown's book and have started adding more 'good' alkaline foods to my diet. I was officially diagnosed with osteop. two weeks ago and am on the warpath to stay off the drugs and reverse the problem naturally. I (like many of you) have read mucho data... and I believe there is something to the alkaline balanced diet - if you read the way the body works - it makes all the sense. I know it's a lot of info, but worth it. I highly recommend researching BOTTOM LINE - a periodical that presents LATEST findings by experts -- June's issue is titled FRACTURE PROOF YOUR BONES. In a nutshell - it says "to build bone collagen, you need vitamin k." We're not supposed to have hard bones, but supple bones. It goes into detail about which vegs. to eat, drug interaction and studies relating to - well... bone health. Note: "...drugs are less effective at decreasing fracture risk than vit. k..." Again, to each their own, but I wanted to share as much info as possible.

amazing info re vitamin k and reducing fractures

Yes Alli, it is amazing... but what's amazing is that my doc. didn't even blink twice when I mentioned routes other than the drugs. He's a great doc. and listens to me etc... but for this I'm following my gut and exhausting the other avenues before I 'risk' the side effects of the drugs.
I have found creative ways to eat kale, collards etc... check out a product called osteo-k -- I'm looking into that as well.
Be better, be strong.

Just signed up for this website and am very grateful to learn about this community and idea sharing

This series of replies has been very helpful. I, too, was wondering if Vivian Goldschmidt had anything new to offer. I will Google alkaline vs, acidic diets and the Bottom Line article. I have always eaten a lot of Kale and collards as we grow them in the summer and make soup out of our over abundance which we freeze to eat during winter. Yet, 3 years ago I was diagnosed with osteoporosis. I take a baby aspirin once a day to keep my blood flowing well through my arteries. I has been my understanding that vitamin K thickens the blood. I am wondering if too much vitamin K might make a person more likely to have a stroke. Any ideas on that?

skippermax, welcome to the community. Sandi

I'm trying to figure out if there is a way to increase the bone density of my spine. I took fosomax for 2 yrs, then forteo pen for 1 & 1/2 yrs, then boniva for 6mths, now fosomax again for a year. I kept switching meds because the bone density tests were worse each year. Last year, I bought a leg exercise machine - magic leg- or something like that. This year my hip density was slightly improved - maybe it was the leg exercises - I'm not sure. BUT my spine density is quite a bit worse this year than last year. So, I'm trying to figure out some way to increase the density of my spinal column. I asked my doctor if my spine would deteriorate clear to the spinal cord - & she said no, it will just break. Well, I don't want it to break! So - I'm going to have to educate myself more about this disease and try to strengthen my spinal cord somehow...

I too have read Vivian Goldschmidt's book from the local library. On her website, it says that her email address was posted inside the book. But, I didn't see it. Or perhaps it was on a page that was ripped out (there were a couple of pages ripped out of the book). Does anybody have the email address?

having just purchased Vivian's book and pamphlets I thought I would comment on this site.
My background is nursing. I am an RN(for 24 years). I returned to school for 4 years to study acupuncture and Chinese medicine.
Many of my clients are menopausal women who are looking for ways to manage their hormonal and bone health without resorting to drugs with serious side effects.
Vivian's book is excellent for women who want to use a diet and exercise approach. Her book is very accessible for a wide group of women, not just professionals.
I admit I am not keen on the "infomercial" at her website but I do think it comes from a sincere belief in what she is suggesting is a better way.
For those who need daily plans to help them stay on track, this book provides the way to do that.
Also the food lists are easy to read and are a great quick reference.

Finally the section on the current drugs being used is very thorough and EVERY woman who is considering drugs needs to be aware of what risk vs. benefit means!

I had been taking Fosamax for 5.5 years and the bone density in late May showed that my Osteopenia had gone to osteoporosis, with - 3.0 and - 3.2 in the hips. I immediately went off Fosamax. I have serious emphysema, I do try to exercise a couple times a week. After going to the rheumatologist, taking tests and telling him my history, he determined that the only thing he would recommend for me is the once a year IV, Reclast. As I read about it I saw the many serious side effects os the drug, so I began to look for alternatives and came across Vivian's book.
She is a good marketer, and did have a number of favorable comments from many individuals. I have read portions of the book and some of the supplements. I have ordered the new exxpanded book and a number of supplements. I don't know if I can eat as many fruits and veggies as she suggests. I try to get out in the sun a few times a week. Basically, her diet is that you can eat one fifth meat, fish, etc. if the other 4/5 are fruits and vegitables. It's worth a try as Is do not need more problems than I already have. We'll See. Jim, age 73 and light weight, so I sure do not need to lose more pounds!!!

Hi, I am new to this forum. I am 56 and recently went from osteopenia to osteoporosis. I took Fosamax for about 7 years and recently decided to go off of it and try to treat this myself. I am very athletic. I weight train and have for years several times a week. I do yoga , walk , tennis ect. I just can not believe I have osteoporosis. I am the only one in my family. I want to build bone the natural way but am so confused over all the supplements to take. Can anyone give me a idea of what I should be taking and the amounts daily for someone who has osteoporsis. I do not have good health insurance and am only allowed 2 visits a year to discuss my results from tests and everything with my doctor. I am very frustrated and do not want to end up all humped over. Please help

I have communicated with Vivian and she was very quick to respond...
There is no doubt in my mind she is very serious about peoples' well being and this is a huge commitment for her.
The support of Dr. Robert Salter for her work is quite significant.
Google him if you have any doubts...

Vivian is first and foremost a businesswoman. I have her book which is good but doesn’t say anything new.

Soon after I purchased her book she had a promotion in which she was selling a couple more books. If a customer ordered these books on a particular date and time he or she would gain considerable benefits. However, Vivian wouldn’t say what the price was until the last minute. She stated she hadn’t worked out a price yet. Something I find hard to believe.

Apparently we were supposed to be sitting at our keyboard ready to pounce when she finally told us the price.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support NOF

Help the National Osteoporosis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Osteoporosis Foundation

Learn more about osteoporosis awareness and prevention

Discussion topics

Links and resources from NOF

Community leaders

Disclaimer

The National Osteoporosis Foundation would like to remind visitors and community members that the views and opinions expressed on this site are not necessarily those of NOF. Please consult your personal healthcare provider regarding any medical information that is shared on this site.