Vitamin D 50,000 iu Daily

I just found my D levels are very low (23) My doctor prescribed 50,000 iu of Vitamin D daily for 3 months and then I will be tested again. I questioned her to make sure she said daily, every where I looked that is a weekly dosage. She said is something new they are doing to bring the D up fast. I started 2 days ago, so far so good. My question is - are any of you taking that much vitam D ? and if so, how well are you tolerating the dosage?, how often you test your blood ? and do you have any results? Thanks, LRFL

163 replies. Join the discussion

Hi Huessysignoret, my understanding is that the FDA has not approved D3 therefore all the prescribed vitamin D is D2. I am taking 50,000 D2
Amazon.com has D3 - 50,000 iu - I don't know of the quality of it but it looks like a decent lab.

LRFL -- you're right, but my pharmacist has obtained D3 in the 50,000 IU dose, and while insurance won't cover it, if a doctor will write a prescription for it, my pharmacist will sell it, as an uninsured prescription, for $16 a year. I forgot to ask, but it may well be that my pharmacist found the D3 50,000IU at the site you cite. He did say he found it on the internet. We could use more people like him!

Yes, we need proactive people like that. By the way the price for 100 pills of D3 at Amazon.com is $43 no prescription needed

I learn about 50 000 units vitamin D if you are not loaded with calcium at least 1200 mg daily for 2 weeks or forgetting to take calcim, high dose may cause "hungry bone syndrome" ; severe lassitude, confusion, severe bone pain, my rheumatologist told me this was my issue. I changed from liquid calcium citrate to pill took for 2 weeks and restarted therapy (my sppon was smller then I thought and I did not have enough calcium in liquid form), your body has to have enough calcium before you start therapy to avoid problem, but even if that happen it was O.K., not so bad...
Also many people do not know that iyou take any antiacids they chagestomach PH and calcium carbonate will not absorb, need to take calcium citrate, I also learn that I made mistake how I took calcium, body can absorb maximum 500 mg at the time, so if one takes 1200 mg daily for fast fix, only will absorb max 500 mg from that dose, now have to take around 1500-2000 mg calcium and in ivided doses and we checked it by measuring my 24 urine alcium level, so if you think you are not taking enough calcium request 24 urine calcium from your doctor to check.

Woody,
Just to add my most recent experience. My Vit D level was low at 30, so my doctor had me take Vit D 50,000 IU weekly for 8 weeks. After redrawing my blood my level had actually dropped lower to 26. Yesterday I had to have more blood drawn to check for parathyroid problems and my doctor may want me to see an endocrinologist(is that correct?) I have an appt. to see a nutritionist next week who works at a Bone Center, so I'm hoping she can give me some good advice.

My VIt. D was very low too, probably for many years. No doubt this contributed to my osteoporosis that everyone swore that I wouldn't get because I was on Premarin for 18 years. Live and learn. I now take about 800 IU daily (it comes with my calcium supplements) plus 50,000 IU of Vit. D3 (prescription) once every two weeks. For the first 6 months I took it weekly. My endocrinologist checks the level every 6 months. I suspect that I will be on the 50,000 IU dose every two weeks forever. Michele

Duzy -- if you need an antacid, but are concerned about calcium absorption because you need your stomach acid, there's an OTC product called "Prelief" which takes the acid out of food but leaves your stomach acid alone. It's available at Walgreen's and at a number of sites on the Web.

Does anybody knows if Vit D3 that is not a softgel is as good as the softgel ones? I bought one from Wallmart (Spring Valley brand) that is not a softgel. I wonder if it good?

Given below is a link to a scientific article -from leading vitamin D researchers which shows thats that vitamin D2 and vitamin D3 are equally effective in raising vitamin D levels.

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?tool=pubmed&pubmedid=18 089691

SBen

My Dr. not only checked my vitamin D levels before he put me on any meds., but has continued to test my blood every 3 months. He told me right off the bat to use D3 ( can be found in any pharmacy,health food store or even your grocery. Not hard to find. I agree with Heussy, bathing suit days are long gone and the weather in Ohio makes that comical! 4000IUs a day. But he thinks everyone should be taking more D3. Vitamin D police, his nickname. ( that and Dr. Kantancerous) Deb

HS,
Have you tried the Prelief? Have you verified that is safe for those with osteoporosis? Any side effects?

Dear Osteochick: Yes, I've tried the Prelief. According to all the literature, it does not interfere with your stomach acid, so it's ok to take if you have osteoporosis. Absolutely no side effects that I can discern.

I'm in a similar situation. My vit d level was 30; after taking 50,000 iu for 8 weeks, it went down to 27. My dr has now put me on 1.25 mg vit d (50,000 iu) permanently every other week. But, I just noticed it was vit d2 (generic name drisdol) - not d3. I'm going to request d3. Let me know how you make out with your nutritionist at the bone center. Thanks!

Everything I have read speaks of 400-800 IU daily. I would specifically ask her WHY so much, just because your levels are "low" shouldn't you bring them up gradually? I have only three months ago started on a Ca, D, & Mg regimen so I don't know yet.

Dear huessysignoret,

You don't need a prescription or a pharmacist to get D3. Go to a health food store or internet sites for Vitamins and other non prescription supplements. I use Vitacost and Swanson Vitamins and the local natural remedies store in Bethesda,MD called The Apothecary. I prefer to get the CARLSON bottle Vitamin D3 which provides 360 softgels each 2000IU, and I currently take 2 softgels each day in addition to Calcium-Magnesium pils. The Carlson bottle costs me $7.95 and lasts 2 months. I also got the NSI (Nutraceutical Sciences Institute) brand of D3 from one of the internet sites mentioned above that has 260 1000 IU softgels and is also not expensive-- if you want to start by taking 1000 IU of D3 you can get that. I prefer taking these daily doses rather than taking 50,000 IU in one pill once a week. Physicians and pharmacists do not seem aware of how easy it is to get the less expensive appropriate D--D3 from your local natural supplements store.

I actually take 100,000 units daily now. I used to take 50,000 units daily, but due to my GI problems and malabsorption, I have to take two of them which equals 100,000 units. My doctor said I will be on them for the rest of my life (though the dose could change).

Mimi

I take this alarming amount as well & get tested weekly. Due for test tomorrow so will report again. I am also taking 3 tablets of Magnesium plus a spray on magnesium since it was advertized via internet that it will absorb better thru the skin.

Also, taking 2 heaping tsp of diatimaticous earth which is a natural form of calcium & much less expensive thin everything else.

I have a sick gut which is undoubted reason I the calcium & D doesn't get absorbed through the gut.
My biggest problem is that I remain constipated! I'll check back to discuss in couple days if body has responded to everything I'm doing.

Personally, I think 3 months is too long as my doctor had me coming in weekly before we left for 3 week vacation. Donnalc

I take this alarming amount as well & get tested weekly. Due for test tomorrow so will report again. I am also taking 3 tablets of Magnesium plus a spray on magnesium since it was advertized via internet that it will absorb better thru the skin.

Also, taking 2 heaping tsp of diatimaticous earth which is a natural form of calcium & much less expensive thin everything else.

I have a sick gut which is undoubted reason I the calcium & D doesn't get absorbed through the gut.
My biggest problem is that I remain constipated! I'll check back to discuss in couple days if body has responded to everything I'm doing.

Personally, I think 3 months is too long as my doctor had me coming in weekly before we left for 3 week vacation. Donnalc

Ok, I am toally freaked out by all these postings. I am barely 40 and I just tested at a 7.6 Vitamin D level and my doctor says I need to do the 50,000 IU weekly for the rest of my life. I am horribly exhausted and dont know if I should be alarmed based on your scores of 20s and low 30s being deficient (I know the very bottom of the range is 32) BUT ladies I am 7.6 - should I be worried???? I have spinal problems but have never been tested for spinal/density measurements - should I?

Please, do not "freak out"  you are a young woman and there are many things you can do. The main thing right now is to get your D back to a normal range, the statement "to the rest of your life" is very radical - we are learning new things all the time. It will not hurt you to take 50K IU weekly the FDA recommended dosage of D is very low and they will change it soon. Also taking 10 to 15 minutes of direct sun light will help. I am 59 years old very active and healthy. - I think I had low bone density all my life ( problems with milk consumption as a baby and childhood – when I was a baby they did not have baby formula) - regardless of my low bone density I was in sports, and presently do heavy exercising 1 hour 5 days a week (heavy weight lifting as well as cardio) -- bones are living things with good nutrition and exercise they improve -- if you can get a bone scan that will be good but do not panic if you have low density - get information as how to improve your odds and if possible avoid the medications there is no enough information regarding long term use. - The most important thing to remember is you have the ability of improving and avoiding future problems - a healthy diet and physical activities are the key to solve many of our medical issues. Relax and enjoy life
Best of luck LRFL

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support NOF

Help the National Osteoporosis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Osteoporosis Foundation

Learn more about osteoporosis awareness and prevention

Discussion topics

Links and resources from NOF

Community leaders

Disclaimer

The National Osteoporosis Foundation would like to remind visitors and community members that the views and opinions expressed on this site are not necessarily those of NOF. Please consult your personal healthcare provider regarding any medical information that is shared on this site.