Vibration Machine for Osteo?

Has anyone heard of or tried using a vibration machine to help build bone density?

19 replies. Join the discussion

Hi SparkyLynne...

I purchased a Qunatum brand vibration machine (online $200)....as with all things I am doing I won't know for sure until next year when I get scanned if I am making any difference with my bones...I like my machine, use it every other day for 15 minutes...I built up slowly, there was one post on here I saw that was a lady who tried it at a gym or some place and got very bad swelling in her legs...In the beginning I did one minute on and one minute off...and slowly worked up to 15 minutes on...I change positions, stand, sit, squat, tip toes, all positions feel a little different...a nice side effect I have noticed is my knee that usually swells with over use, rarely does anymore...I vibrate after my six mile walk and all is well...Listen to your body...keep a journal of everything you try and how your body responds...I only add supplements one at a time so I know if something does not agree with me. Good luck with bone building adventure...

CaliRose

It was me, I was doing sguats also, now I am very careful and just kind of stand on it so far have not gone past two minutes, its one of those big an powerful machines.

I'm waiting for the Marodyne LIV tablet to go on sale. They said it would be in April. Anyone heard anything more about this?

Hi SparkyLynne,
I have no experience as yet but I have read and believe that a LOW INTENSITY "machine" is a safe alternative for me with osteoporosis and the one that I am going to buy. This web site http://www.livtherapy.com/ have told me the "machine" will be ready for the market in April 2011 (well that is now... maybe I should send them a mail?). You could try to ask Woody (SequoiaHealth), a member of this forum, about this for more information. Woody and Sara Meeks is in the video displayed on the livtherapy web site. Good luck Lela

Lela - The low intensity machine sounds like a good way to go. I hope they release it soon to the public, so I can look into purchasing one. Thanks for the info.

Hi All, I've signed up for the updates on the release of the Marodyne, so if any of you find out when it will actually be released - aside from the date we already have of April 2011 - could you post back here? Thanks for any help you can provide.

I posted on their Facebook wall asking when they were going to release it for sale to the public. Hopefully soon!

I have been following this closely too, as I am waiting to purchase one too! Marodyne is now saying the product for-sale date is going to be delayed until May.

CCB

Today I went to a store that sells gym equipment and tried a vibration machine out. Yowsa! It is very high intensity, even at the lowest setting. After just 3 x 30 second intervals on the machine, I could feel it in my feet/legs and was feeling kind of woozie in my head.

I am actually interested in the machine for my daughter's use. She's 23 and has lots of medical issues in addition to a -4.9 T-score! She's been on Forteo for 1 year so far. Her orthopedist wants her to do more weight bearing exercise but she has trouble walking. So she suggested a vibration machine. There is no way she could handle the vibration machine I tried out today. Her doctor mentioned that the company that made the best one went out of business and that a new one was coming out sometime this year. I'm pretty sure the Marodyne LIV tablet is the one she's referring to. I will discuss it with her regarding my daughter.

My bone density is low so I can benefit from using it also.

My child (CP) also tried these higher intensity vibration machines and could not stay on. So aside from the bone and brain safety issues, these machines simply are not usable by anyone with imperfect balance.

Mary W

Addendum to my post above- I was saying my child could not stay on the WBV high intensity machines. I can't wait to hear how everyone feels about this lower intensity machine. Please keep me posted!

Mary W

The Power Plate Pro6 is a similar type of device & there is a chiropractor in Central NJ who has a new one (Bryan Berger in Jamesburg, NJ).

Power Plate claim:
"Bone Density/Bone Mineral Density Claim: Power Plate training can be a beneficial tool/intervention to increase bone density and prevent bone mineral density loss related to aging. Definition: Bone density (or bone mineral density) is a medical term referring to the amount of matter per cubic centimetre of bones."
Instructions - http://www.powerplate.com/resources/doc/user-manuals/pro6-user-manual-mdd.p df

It is also supposed to be a good workout for those without osteo.

That is the brand of vibration machine that I tried this week. It is at Gym Source in Gainesville, VA. I could work my way up gradually to using it. It was a smooth vibration, not jerky, but intense. I could feel it throughout my entire body and had trouble focusing on the control pad while vibrating, talking was a challenge also. My daughter would not be able to handle that strong vibration at all. I tried it on the lowest possible setting.

Also, these machines are expensive ~ $4,000 +. It was an interesting experience to try this machine.

is there any proof that the vibration machine actually increases bone density?
all I can find is some study on it increasing sheep bones density
for me this is not enough to make me spend a lot of money on something that may or may not
increase bone density

What is the Marodyne LIV tablet ? I would love to know.

HealthyArt here's the link to the company. http://www.marodyne.com/products/index.html

Before folks jump onto one of these, you may want to review:

http://bme.sunysb.edu/people/faculty/docs/crubin/safety-1-11-06.pdf

There's a graph (fuzzy but readable) the gives you safe levels of g-force, time, duration and frequency. Keep in mind that these are for healthy bones and that if you have osteporosis, you may want to begin at a much lower level.

Apart from the cautions mentioned in the article, vibrators may help develop stronger bones, but you will want a machine with a g-force adjustment.

This is a link to a page on Marodyne showing the difference between their vibration tablet and a regular vibration plate.

It is under "Research" "Vibration Education" (in case the link doesn't work).

http://www.livtherapy.com/science/education

No matter what, you should always check with your doctor to be sure it is OK to use any type of vibration therapy before starting.

This is a brochure from the National Osteoporosis Society of UK - although published in 2009 - still has some relevant info on Vibration Machines.

www.nos.org.uk/Document.Doc?id=511

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support NOF

Help the National Osteoporosis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Osteoporosis Foundation

Learn more about osteoporosis awareness and prevention

Discussion topics

Links and resources from NOF

Community leaders

Disclaimer

The National Osteoporosis Foundation would like to remind visitors and community members that the views and opinions expressed on this site are not necessarily those of NOF. Please consult your personal healthcare provider regarding any medical information that is shared on this site.