Ultimate Bone Support??

Has anyone tried the 'Ultimate Bone Support'?
Just wondered if this is any good and if people have done well with it.

17 replies. Join the discussion

http://www.solgar.co.uk/SolgarProducts/Ultimate-Bone-Support-Tablets.htm

Checked it out - not too bad and Solgar has a good dreputation. Minus? GMF by way of the soy content, so for myself, I would not take!

Suggest you go over to INSPIRE and see what Lara suggests - very good supplement containing all the basics you'll need to support yr bone health. You might also want to add in Strontium Citrate - excellent, I turned around my own osteoporosis by using Strontium Citrate and the supplements.

Take care - Go well

Thanks Molly - I did not know that bit about GMF. Well, that knocks it on the head for me. I am on Protelos since last Jan this year - live in Spain.

Yes - It is a right pain that Solgar started to use soy, and the problem with soy is that summat like 90% is GMF, comes in from the USA - they have made a real big 'world' market for the stuff... Sigh.

But check out the other link I posted, from INSPIRE, on the NOF (National Osteoporosis Foundation) forum. Very good indeed. Check this one out: http://www.nowfoods.com/Supplements/Products-by-Category/Minerals/Full-Spec trum-Minerals/M004241.htm
no soy and has the right nutrients. Though, insufficienbt D3. Suggest getting D3 checked out, should be between
60 ng/mL- 80 ng/mL

I have a few notes: Swansons / NOW Foods - CAPS

NOW Foods Cal-Mag Caps 120 Caps - Swanson Health Products
www.swansonvitamins.com/NWF803/ItemDetail
Calcium and magnesium have become synonymous with bone health. And as two of the most important nutrients we can feed our body, NOW ...

http://www.swansonvitamins.com/Calcium-and-Bone-Health/_/n-22d

You need D3 - as cholecalciferol - at 5000 units minimum per diem as a loading dose for one month, then down to 3000 per diem
BUT *first get D3 levels checked. Need c.60 - 80 ng/mL - most people are deficit. Once at 80ng/mL then keep at a maintenance dose of say 2000 per diem
See NOW Foods, below...note that they have D3 but only at 400IU, useless. Won't do owt for anyone at that limited dose! Will need to take additional D3, otherwise the NOW etc supplement is OK.

Calcium Citrate - or see below NOW Foods... (C. carbonate is not readily bioavailable - so forget it. This is the stuff being pushed in Europe - my local pharmacy is stacked with boxes and boxes of it...waste of money)

Strontium Citrate - 340mg x2 per diem (this is the *major bone builder) - but might have to get from America, as the Protelos Strontium Ranelate is being pushed in Europe and in the UK, to such an extent that, as of Feb 2012, Strontium Citrate is now (!) unavailable in the UK. Sigh. The Protelos is chemicalised version of Strontium Citrate, then buffered with the excipients: Aspartame; Maltodextrin; Mannitol. Many have thrown side effects to the Protelos. (I couldn't cope with it - MSG and Aspartame is hopeless for me) but Strontium Citrate, terrific. As said before, I reversed my osteoporosis. It is slow'ish to act, but no side effects, excepting for some constipation, soon dealt with.

Vit-K2 - or Vit-K2-MK4 (NOT MK7) IF on blood thinners then best to check with doctor re Vit-K2. (straight Vit-K is pretty useless!) but do need Vit-K2. See the discussion and input from Lara on the INSPIRE site, Osteoporosis Foundation refers. She knows her stuff.

Hope this has helped some. The information is such a mine field, that's why it is useful to make notes as you go along, define your goals, and stick to them, but still keeping an eye on the ball - information gets updated on a regular basis. One needs to keep up.

But take care - go well

Hi, I ordered an "Ultimate Bone Support" after reading about it on another part of the website. This one is from Advanced Bionutritionals. I think whoever posted about it must work for them. Since I was new to this I didn't have all the numbers in my head, now that I've been reading more of the reports I ordered Strontium Citrate from Swansons, and Carlsons Menatetrenone (K4) from Sansons as well. My UBS doesn't have sufficient strontium or K2 (and it is Mk7) plus it has minerals that are duplicated in the Now Full Spectrum Mineral Caps, So I have 3 more bottles of the UBS, but at least it doesn't have soy. I'm sure living in Europe makes it a bit more difficult so hopefully you can find adequate equivalents. The link above is good to guide you. Best wishes.

And everyone remember - take the Strontium Citrate at least three hours away from other supplements, specifically calcium. AND, on an empty stomach. ALL this can be checked out on the internet.

Take care - Go well -

Many thanks to both of you for all the info. Living in Europe one does not think about GMF as in most countries it is not permitted. I can however buy Swanson products on Amazon. At the moment I can get all sorts of good vits/mins from Higher Nature in the UK which my Holistic Doc said were the best ingredients. Just need to watch now that I don't double up on things or I might have other side effects. I am still getting whole body cramps particularly in the morning when I am just waking up. Really unpleasant and they have in the past fractured my spine. Need to get to the bottom of that as well.
So many things - I think I am falling apart, hehehe
Just as well I have not lost my fighting spirit yet :-)

Wow! those are serious cramps. Hope you find the cause soon, and do keep up the fighting spirit. Maybe somethin on Lara's discussion or in her book will give clues to the morning body cramps.

Nan Kathyrn Fuchs, who lives in my area, bought a newsletter I subscribed to ten or fifteen years ago, the Women's Health Letter. After she bought it, she used it to promote various products. Since I refuse to pay for advertising, I stopped subscribing, however, I am still on her mailing list. I get 8-page mailings from her at least once a month. She was the one who alerted me to the use of strontium for bone building, back in 2005, when I was diagnosed with lupus and had to take prednisone, which is bad for bones. However, I did not buy her product, Ultimate Bone Support. I did my research and bought strontium citrate from www.swansonvitamins.com ($8.49 for 60 340 mg capsules, now on a 2-for-1 sale with free shipping if you spend $50). The rest of the needed minerals come in NOW Full Spectrum Minerals CAPS (about $16 for 240 caps, 2 months' worth, also available at Swanson). The formula is:

Vitamin D (as Cholecalciferol) 400 IU 100%
Calcium (from Hydroxyapatite*) 500 mg 50%
Phosphorus
(from Hydroxyapatite*) 193 mg 19%
Iodine (from Kelp) 225 mcg 150%
Magnesium
(from Magnesium Oxide and Citrate) 500 mg 125%
Zinc (from Amino Acid Chelate) 15 mg 100%
Selenium
(from L-Selenomethionine) 100 mcg 143%
Copper (from Amino Acid Chelate) 2 mg 100%
Manganese
(from Amino Acid Chelate) 5 mg 250%
Chromium
(from Chromium Chelavite®) 200 mcg 166%
Molybdenum
(from Amino Acid Chelate) 100 mcg 133%
Potassium
(from Potassium Chloride) 99 mg 3%
Boron (from Amino Acid Chelate) 3 mg †
Vanadium
(from Amino Acid Chelate) 50 mcg †

† Daily Value not established.

* Hydroxyapatite is a phosphate complex of calcium that occurs as a mineral and is the chief structural element of bones.

Other Ingredients: Gelatin (capsule), Rice Flour and Magnesium Stearate (vegetable source).

Suggested Usage: As a dietary supplement, take 4 capsules daily, preferably with meals.

Contains no sugar, salt, yeast, wheat, gluten, corn, soy, milk, egg, shellfish or preservatives

I also take about 6000 iu Vitamin D3 daily. Using this regimen, I increased my bone density more than 25% in 5 years. I think you also need Vitamin K2, and the best product for the price I've found is Vitacost Ultra Vitamin K with Advanced K2 Complex, 90 softgels (3 months' worth) for $11.69. I wasn't taking this when I increased my bone density, but I'm taking it now.

In addition, I take 375 mg magnesium taurate daily. I started taking that for atrial fibrillation back in 2005, but now I take it because I think I need the magnesium. Magnesium taurate does not cause diarrhea, unlike some other forms of magnesium. However, it's hard to find. Swanson also sells that--100 mg, 120 pills for $10. The only store I've seen it in is Vitamin Shoppe, where 180 pills, 125 mg cost about $26.

I don't understand why anyone would spend all the extra dollars to take Ultimate Bone Support, and still have to buy extra D and K2, plus calcium and magnesium. And why would anyone take the risk of eating all that manganese? UBS contains 10 mg manganese, and the maximum adults are supposed to take is 11 mg, including what you get in food and there's quite a bit in food. http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/infocenter/minerals/manganese/

Nan Fuchs provides good info, but I think the products she pushes are unnecessarily expensive. Since I take a lot of supplements, I try to keep the cost of each one as low as possible.

Whoops, I copied the post above from an earlier discussion, and didn't notice that I said I was taking Vitacost Ultra Vitamin K. I had to stop because the MK7 in it was keeping me awake. I tried taking it every 3 days, and even that didn't work. Now I am taking Carlson's Menatetrenone (MK4).

But I was taking no supplemental K when I had the scan in Dec. 2011. I did eat kim chee, free-range eggs and butter, all of which contain K2.

Lilypads, thanks for your program, I'd been trying to find it. I'd ordered the UBS from reading a post on Lara's discussion and hadn't informed myself fully or wouldn't have, going to see about sending it back, when I saw the minerals in it caused me concern, not sure they were listed in her advertising, sorry, justifying myself. I like what you recommend and have started following it. Just had a DEXA so will be a time before the results, but looking forward to improvement.

I just got a sixteen-page promo magazine for Ultimate Bone Support today from Nan Fuchs. I was dismayed to see the outright lies on page 9 regarding the costs of other supplements (trying to make UBS look cheap). She says strontium costs $32.95 if you buy it elsewhere. Actually, a month's supply of the strontium citrate I get from Swanson's costs $8.49--unless it's on a 2-for-1 sale, which it often is, then it's $4.25. And that's for 680 mg daily, whereas UBS only contains 500 mg. She says Vitamin D3 costs $12.50 for one month. I think I got 300 caps of D3 2000 i.u. from Swanson for $4.99--enough for 6 months taking 4000 i.u. a day, while UBS only provides 800 i.u.--nowhere near enough. The total monthly cost she gives is $154.97 if you buy all the supplements separately. Preposterous!

Not counting my MK4, which is expensive, I pay less than $20 a month for strontium citrate, Vitamin D3, and NOW Full Spectrum Minerals CAPS, which include calcium and magnesium. Fuchs make NO MENTION of magnesium, even though half of Americans are magnesium deficient and magnesium is a MUST for strong bones. She says we get enough calcium from diet, and do not need ANY in supplements. UBS contains only 40 mcg of "K2." Nowhere does Fuchs say whether it's MK4 or MK7, but I'm willing to bet it's MK7.

Her explanation of why the Mayo Clinic never followed up on their small 1959 study of strontium for osteoporosis is completely invented. She says "When the drug companies found their patented form of strontium used in the studies, called strontium ranelate, was no more safe and effective as [sic] the non-patented natural forms, they decided not to sell it." (p.2)

Strontium ranelate did not exist in 1959. It didn't exist until it was developed by Servier some forty years later. The Mayo studies were done with strontium lactate and strontium carbonate.

After reading this advertorial, my previous opinion that Nan Fuchs provides "good info" is retracted. This is hogwash! It's designed to deceive people who don't do their homework.

Lilypads, You are right , the UBS MK is 7, so with the Carlsons I get some of both.

If you no longer want to take the Ultimate Bone Support, it comes with a money back guarantee from Advanced Bionutritionals, even if you return a partial bottle or an empty one! I haven't actually tried to return anything to them, but may do so too. I hope they live up to their guarantee.

Joyden, I hope so as well. Will post when I find out. j

Swanson and Vitacost also have money-back guarantees. I am going to return Swanson's Hair, Skin & Nails, which gave me a thumping heart and overall weird feeling, and Vitacost Ultra Vitamin K With Advanced K2 Complex. I think it's a great product, but it keeps me awake, even if I take it every 3 days. I'll let you know the results.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support NOF

Help the National Osteoporosis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Osteoporosis Foundation

Learn more about osteoporosis awareness and prevention

Discussion topics

Links and resources from NOF

Community leaders

Disclaimer

The National Osteoporosis Foundation would like to remind visitors and community members that the views and opinions expressed on this site are not necessarily those of NOF. Please consult your personal healthcare provider regarding any medical information that is shared on this site.