Taking magnesium citrate pills!!

Does anyone have any idea of how to take large magnesium citrate pills. I went off the powder as it gave me so much gas;. Well, I ordered some at a good price (200 mg tabs) . Each time I take one I almost ag or feel like I am choking. Not sure I can pulverize it into a powder to drink or not.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I am also taking Calcium as well as other supplements and vitamins and taking the supplement Strontium Citrate. The other stuff did not seem to help me except for 2 years ( the max) on the Forteo.

Please give me any suggestions if you can. I made an error in ordoring and I have 4 good sized bottles of this stuff.

Thanks in advance.
Granni

35 replies. Join the discussion

Dear Granni,
You may want to consider adding this to your regimine:
http://www.nbihealth.com/p-10-osteo-k.aspx
It supposedly works as good a Fosamax!
Mike

Wiki How to Swallow a pill
I'd also suggest that there are other forms rather than tablets.
Capsules, caplets, softgels may slip down easier.
While you can crush the magnesium citrate this will end up the same as the powder and have the same side effects. You want it in tablet/capsule form so it's past the burp point before it dissolves.
Magnesium is best absorbed with taken with food so perhaps crushing it into a meal would be better.
If it's time release form of tablet than you are wasteing money because the time release effect won't happen if the tablet is crushed.

Maybe you could buy empty capsules and crush the magnesium tablets filling the capsules with the powder. Just a thought. I guess if the tablets are time release this wouldn't work as Ted suggested.

granni - just another thought, I have had diffisulty in swallowing large tablets, but now take a huge mouthful of water and wash them down, works for me.

Hi: I take magnesium citrate (for constipation issues) by Solgar 200mg each pill, and they aren't hard to swallow at all. I take Calcium citrate and those are huge pills and difficult to swallow sometimes.

Thank you all who have posted so far. First of all I was wondering if I could crush the pills and that would be OK. Haven't even tried to crush them yet. They are VERY hard. Dopey me, when I ordered I thought they were capsules and not caplets. They are not time released. Do you have to use a crusher to crush them? I would probably send them back but I am sure the box is already gone and not sure I still have the receipt. Will have to check that out too.

Osteomike - I may have seen this info already but when I saw the price I said, no thank you. I am already paying for enough on supplements for my other problems too. I have seen many products especialy those "Special "vits and minerals put together for difference medical problems including osteoporosis. I am already taking Super K with advanced K2 complex as Menaquinone 4 and 7, along with Boron. Also taking calcium. Most of the pills (supps and vits) I take are capsules or soft gels.

******I am not afraid or having problems taking most pills. This one is just big and hard. If it is OK to try crushing I will TRY to do so. I was taking the powder for sometime, not to cheap either, but it gives me a lot of gas.

Does anyone know if magnesium citrate or taurate comes in capsules and not caplets? I just have a lot of these caplets to use up before buying anything else unless I can send them back. Not sure if you can mention the name of the company I get them from on line or not. They will refund me I think if I can find the box and receipt.

Any other suggestions so I can use up the bottles that I do have? Where can you buy empty capsules? I never have seen them? Hope they will crush. I tried one time to crush one of those hard pills (not mag) I couldn't even get them to smash or crush very much. Any ideas. Seems if you have to do that for all of them it will take some time also. I am trying to find caps, etc. that are perhaps at least 200 mg. I had Mg. Oxide which is OK but you have to take so much more of them that I have found, and are not as absorbable to the bones I had heard.. I understand with osteoporosis you need to take about 1500 mg. of Ca. and 1/2 of of that dosage in Magnesium (or at least as much as you can tolerate stool wise.)

I think what I am taking is called a caplet but is still fairly large, long and thich shaped sort of like an oval - long and round at the edges. Any suggesions on crushing or anything else.

Ted - I will read what you sent on swallowing pills but I usually do not have problem with most pills caplets.

Thanks again in advance and to those who have already posted.

Blessings,
Granni

I take magnesium citrate 150mg. They are pretty normal sized *capsules*- like the flexible capsules with powder inside. They are made by Webber Naturals. I got them at the drug store.

It sounds to me like you have hard, solid pills? They sound like my calcium citrate pills. I have crushed these- they are easy to crush. Pretend they are like a clove of garlic and press down with the palm of your hand on a knife placed sideways.

My calcium citrate solid pills also dissolve in water- they don't totally disintegrate but they do totally breakdown into granules. Try that. I did not need to crush the pills first.

HighImpactLover,Ted, and all,

I haven't tried to crush or dissolved them yet but if I did esp in water, wouldn't possibly cause me to have the same side effect (gas). I don't burp a lot is is more from the other end (:!! I can't even drink much soda as it makes me burp and gives me total gas (:!!

I have been on the lookout for capsules and somehow when I ordered them I thought it said capsules not caplets. I will see what I can do. I ordered so many of them by accident now I have so many to use up.

Will be listening to see if anyone else has some good ideas. I have looked in a couple of drug stores and have not found any Magnesium citrate or taurate, just oxide pills that I have now. The oroblem with them is I would have to take so many of them. They are not very strong pills.

I ordered these on line where I get alot of my things. May search to see if I have the receipt and maybe I can return some of them. We'll see. I think they usually do and that we do not have to paya th epostage but it is such a hastle. My husband sees an empty box and he starts breaking it down to throw away - ugh !

Thanks again so much.
Granni

I cannot swallow big pills either. I crush my magnesium citrate in a mortar and pestle. Then I pour in some olive oil and a teaspoon of almond butter. Sometimes add cinnamon or cloves. Stir it up..Very tasty little snack which I eat with a spoon..

I also crush mine with a pestle and mortar - if you stand the tablets on their sides it is a bit easier. Then I put the resulting powder in a small cup and add some thick yogurt or peanut butter or sometimes jam and a tiny dob of butter! Can be quite tasty. I wouldn't try to swallow them whole.

Thanks Sea Coral,

Where did you get the mortar and pstle. Did the regular drug store have it? I would imagine so. Do you remember the approx price of them? I have never had almond butter but I guess they have it in the reg. grocery store . Is it in the with reg. butter or gourmet specialty items. Hope it doesnt cause more indigestion but it is wortha atry. Thanks so much.

Tried to swallow one last night and thought I was going to choke myself. Sometimes it isn't to awful and other times it is. Hate to take the chance and don;t look forwards to taking them.
Hugz,
Granni

I take mine while eating my oatmeal....goes down easily

Sorry Tupelo-Honey,

Sounds like a good way but I can't stand to eat oatmeal. That is one of the few things I can't eat, and other hot cereal too. A thing from childhood (:!!

Hugz,
Granni

I bought my mortar and pestle from Amazon.com . A set of 3 was $12.. I have prime membership so I get free shipping.
Peanut butter would work just as well as almond butter, which is expensive. I get almond butter at my food coop or in the health food section of my grocery store. You could try applesauce or yogurt, too. I just like the taste of the nut butter and olive oil mix.
Best of luck~

Thanks to all, I will probably try and get a mortar and pestle. Those pill crushers never worked for me.

Did anyone of you put it ina drink to dissolve and then drink besides food?

Blessings,
Granni

It wasn't almond butter just ordinary butter (I'm not sure if in America it has another name) it's the stuff made from cow's milk - I use it with the calcium citrate caplets which contain vitamin D because the fat helps dissolve the D. I only use a small piece. I think I'll try dissolving them in a drink - that might be easier.

It's bad enough having OP without all these meds!

I just got Swanson's magnesium taurate, and it's in large tablets. But the more expensive Cardiovascular Research brand mag. taur I've been taking for 6+ years is in capsule form.

Granni,

You can get an inexpensive pill splitter at your drug store. Perhaps if it's half the size it will go down better. If a pill gets caught, nurses say you should turn your head to the left or right while swallowing large amounts of water. It's helped me.

Tom

Granni,

Another trick now that Tupelo-Honey has reminded me. If you like apple sauce, you can take a pill with a spoonful of applesauce. My wife has a swallowing problem but typically mostly with food. Hers is due to an earlier stroke, but I've read that old age can also bring on some of the swallowing problems.

Tom

I can buy two different sizes of capsules at the local health food store. They are 4 cents apiece. But I think taking with food or dissolving them in water is a better idea. Crushing them and putting the powder into capsules is a BIG JOB!

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support NOF

Help the National Osteoporosis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Osteoporosis Foundation

Learn more about osteoporosis awareness and prevention

Discussion topics

Links and resources from NOF

Community leaders

Disclaimer

The National Osteoporosis Foundation would like to remind visitors and community members that the views and opinions expressed on this site are not necessarily those of NOF. Please consult your personal healthcare provider regarding any medical information that is shared on this site.