Supplements for osteoporosis

Did anyone watch Dr. Oz today April 12, 2012? He recommended AlgaeCal, a new calcium supplement made from a South American algae. He stated that it improves bone density in 6 months! Does anyone have any experience with AlgaeCal? I would love to hear from you.

91 replies. Join the discussion

Guria, I was gonna post this same question. I saw Dr Oz today. Very interesting. I did go to the AlgaeCal website. For bone growth you need to take 4 capsules a day. 90 capsules cost $30...but this is AlgaeCal Plus which also has K2 as MK7 50mg..Vita D3, Magnesium and Boron. So you could elimate buying those and put the money on the AlgaeCal Plus. I liked that he said it would not cause constipation like the rock calcium does. I think it would be worth a try. I will soon be needing to buy more calcium so I may give it a try. I would like to hear what others have to say that have tried it.

I watched the show. I went on the site too and they offer an AlgaeCal Plus and a Strontium Boost (strontium citrate). If you don't show an increase in bone density after 6 months they double your money back. I'd love to hear from others that my have tried this too.

I wonder if Dr. Oz owns stock in the companies he touts on his program.

@DH151: The company knows that strointium falsely elevates bone density by DXA. Of course they are confident the bone density values go up. WHether or not that means long term you will not break a bone, or will not get some terrible side effect fifteen years from now (which is what happened with other bone building agents) is still open to debate. Do they give you your money back if you suffer a broken bone while taking in? That would be a more meaningful guarantee.

Strontium Citrate has been in use for Osteoporosis for 'n' number of years. Strontium Citrate is an efficacious bone builder. Unlike the bisphosphonate drugs - which stop bone take-up and turnover, eventually leading to brittle bones anyways: bone hardens and hardens and eventually becomes brittle! Whereas, Strontium Citrate helps with bone turnover, renewal and build up, resulting in good bone density.

Strontium Citrate is slow acting, takes about eight years to fully build up. I have been taking for six years (on and off) and have ***Reversed my osteopenia. NO side effects, excepting some constipation - that is easily dealt with (better than dealing with the osteonecrosis caused by the the bis drugs - let alone the humerus fractures and long bone aches and pains...!!)

Coming to the Dr Oz programme. Never, but *ever take Strontium Citrate with other bone buildding items at the 'same' time. One will stop the efficacy of the other, so a total waste of time. Must keep well apart, by at least three hours. Strontium Citrate is best taken at night, just before bedtime and on an EMPTY stomach. Now anyone who is flogging (selling) Strontium Citrate encapsulated/pilled in TOGETHER 'with' calcium is deeply, deeply suspect.

Keep your pennies, purchase Strontium Citrate, pure and simple Stront C. Take it separately. Take other vitamins, supplements, herbals at another part of the day - at least three hours distant from the Stront C

Update. Pharma have as of two months ago stopped ALL sales and imports of Strontium Citrate into the UK and Europe. Appalling that they are being permitted to dictate to whole nations in this manner. Well, be warned. No doubt Nth America will be next! Stront C works, those Bisphosphonate drugs do NOT work - Oh yes, and by the way, the half life of the bis drugs is 10 years, so the possibilities of developing the side effects, including osteonecrosis of the jaw (jaw bone death) will continue for several years AFTER stopping taking the bis drugs! (It's a stinker).

Must point out that IF going for a DEXA scan the radiologist must be advised that you are taking Strontium Citrate as the scanner has to be re-calibrated to take account of Stront C - otherwise will give a totally false reading! Or, stop taking for six months BEFORE going for your scan, then scanner does not have to be re-calibrated. BUT - will need to be taking for about two or three years BEFORE any difference will show up on the scan.

Bet that was not pointed out by Dr Oz. Bet he also didn't point out that six months on the supplement was not going to make any difference. Strontium Citrate is very slow acting. Bone takes a few years to uptake, remodel, turnover, so, to suggest that six months will make a difference is hooey. Am soooo surprised at Dr Oz - had had respect for him, his views and his show, but...

Hello Molly,

Dr. Oz was not promoting Strontium, he was promoting AlgaeCal. I had seen on AlgaeCal's website that they offered strontium citrate as well. Thank you for all of the helpful information. I am just starting to research my options. My hips are pretty bad at -3 and -3.4 due to chemo and radiation I'm thinking. I came across this on AlaeCal's site too.

http://www.algaecal.com/Blog/the-truth-about-strontium-supplements-side-eff ects-dexa-results-efficacy-and-more/11333#comment-348

I bought a 6 month supply of AlgaeCal yesterday after watching Dr. Oz. None of the medications I have taken so far for osteoporosis promise an improvement in bone density in 6 months. I am willing to give it a try. I am desperate because I am still breaking vertebrae in my spine for no reason. It's spontaneous and I need to do something urgently to stop it as soon as possible. I believe Dr. Oz will not lie on TV in order to make more money. Bet he did not make any money with the apple juice warning.

Did you get the Strontium Boost too?

No, just the AlgaeCal, but I believe it also contains strontium and other minerals.

Another concern I have and would like to hear from people who have been on Reclast: Does the AlgaeCal interacts with Reclast? Has anyone who had Reclast taken also AlgaeCal and other supplements? If so, I would like to know what kind of reaction they had if any.

ok, final time I will post this re adjusting dexa for strontium. NOBODY knows how/what/if there should be an adjustment and that is straight from the mouth of one of the researchers in the major strontium study.

Hi DH151 - Algaecal Plus contains Strontium and calcium - the calcium content will obviate the Strontium: the 'calcium will reduce the bioavailability of the Strontium Citrate by 60-70%'. See below.

(Sorry to hear about your hips, but a decent regime - which you are doing - and studious use of supplements and vits and then time, should happily deal with the problem).

Algaecal® Plus is a plant source of calcium and vital bone building minerals such as magnesium, boron, silica, strontium and more.... All derived from a South American Algae called Algas Calcareas™

http://www.osteoporosis-vitamins.com/strontium-citrate.html

----------------------------#

GUIDELINES FOR TAKING STRONTIUM CITRATE

Do not take strontium through a bone-building supplement that includes calcium, as calcium reduces the bioavailability of strontium by 60-70%.

Strontium citrate will only be effective if taken correctly.

Strontium citrate should only be taken on an empty stomach.
Strontium should NOT be taken with meals or a calcium supplement as calcium can reduce the bioavailability of strontium by 60-70%
Allow at least two hours between a calcium supplement and strontium intake
The suggested time to take strontium citrate is on an empty stomach before going to bed-preferably three hours after a meal.
Strontium has only proven effective for the treatment of osteoporosis when taken in combination with 1,500 mg calcium and 800 IU vitamin D supplements
An effective bone health program will also include vitamin K, magnesium and lots of exercise
Vitamin D does not interfere with strontium absorption
This regimen is much more demanding than taking a single pill daily or weekly...and lack of compliance will undermine the effectiveness of the strontium.

They do say it is diff to adjust the scanner - but, in order to side-step that aspect it is suggested to stop taking for c.six months before the DEXA scan.

Hi, can someone answer a question about Stronium for me? I was doing research on it and one site said if you have trouble with blood clots or had a PE do not take Strontium... which I have had. I wanted to address this on here to find out for sure and also let others know if this is true to be careful.

Patty0930 - This might help : http://www.osteoporosis-vitamins.com/strontium-citrate.html
Advice is 'not'...

Suggest discussing with yr GP or/and cardiologist

Now here's one I wouldn't touch with the proverbial -
http://www.betterhealthinternational.com/productDetails.asp?prodID=NC55070

The ingredients are 100mg Strontium Carbonate with 11 additional ingredients including calcium 365mg 37% - very high ratio and is directly mixed with the Strontium. Most horribly, the buffer maltodextrin -
SUPPLEMENT FACTS
Serving size: 1 teaspoon (3.5 grams)
Servings per Container: 90
Amount
Per Serving % Daily Value
Vitamin C (as Ascorbic Acid) 167 mg 278%
Vitamin D3 (as Cholecalciferol) 200 IU 50%
Vitamin K2 (as Menaquinone-7) 67 mcg 83%
Calcium (as Carbonate, Hydroxyapatite, Citrate, Malate) 367 mg 37%
Magnesium (as Carbonate, Glycinate) 133 mg 33%
Zinc (as Monomethionine Sulfate) 3 mg 22%
Copper (as Sebacate) 0.5 mg 25%
Manganese (as Gluconate) 1.7 mg 83%
Strontium (as Carbonate) 100 mg *
Silica (as Horsetail Stems Extract) 2 mg *
Boron (as Citrate) 1 mg *
Lycopene 1.7 mg *
* Daily Value Not Established
** Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.

Other Ingredients: Maltodextrin, natural cherry flavor.

Always read all through labels. Check everything, including medications - be surprised 'what' they might use as an excipient, carrier. Having given back mercury in eye drops; aluminium for gut problems; aspartame in many meds - and so it goes on. There is usually an alternative, so save time, have your doctor check even before the doctor writes the script.

OK. Take care all -

I do believe that this discussion is about AlgaeCal not Strontium.
AlgaeCal does not contain strontium. I take strontium but not at the same time as my calcium.
Let's get back to the original question. For those who are taking AlgaeCal what are your thoughts on it?...is it actually better than taking the "rock" calcium supplements?......and where can you buy for the best price?....it is a little pricey but the AlgaeCal Plus does contain K2 (as MK7) so for us who are taking that then we could stop buying it separately...also contains magnesium, Boron, and D3....so it could be cheaper in the long run.

It seems that no one who replied has tried AlgaeCal yet. We would like to hear from its users first hand, if possible. But I do believe AlgaeCal Plus contains strontium, does it not?

Guria, go to the AlgaeCal website and you will find a list of what these calcium supplements contain and strontium is not listed. You are not suppose to take Strontium and calcium at the same time. They do have strontium supplements for purchase (AlgaeCal Plus Strontium Boost)...but it is not in the AlgaeCal Plus calcium supplements.

Guria, AlgaeCal does not contain strontium, Topelo Honey is right - it comes in a separate bottle. You need to have a DEXA within a certain length of time when you start the Algae-Cal and another when you stop taking it ( for comparison ) to get your money back. All that should be available on their website. Lara P. takes AlgaeCal, she also writes a blog on their web site, many good articles there. I take it, have not had any issues, but I take less than the recommended doseage for each product. Strictly my routine, if this isn't working when I get DEXA this summer, will increase the amounts. There is a discussion here ( can't think of the title ) where her sister only took 1/2 of the recommended dose for strontium and had great results. I am not interested in an increased DEXA, I want the decreased fracture risk and hopefully this will help. I think highly of Lara's opinion, and this is an easy way to get most of the supplements in one purchase.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support NOF

Help the National Osteoporosis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Osteoporosis Foundation

Learn more about osteoporosis awareness and prevention

Discussion topics

Links and resources from NOF

Community leaders

Disclaimer

The National Osteoporosis Foundation would like to remind visitors and community members that the views and opinions expressed on this site are not necessarily those of NOF. Please consult your personal healthcare provider regarding any medical information that is shared on this site.