Strontium Warning

I was taking Strontium for about two years and recommending it to everyone I knew. My Dexa scans were improving, and I was able to stay off osteo drugs completely. However, my hair started falling out in patches. At first, a possible connection to Stronium didn't even occur to me. Then I came across an article in The British Medical Journal saying that Strontium may cause alopecia. Here's the link: http://www.bmj.com/content/338/bmj.b1494.extract.

Unfortunately, that diagnosis was recently confirmed in my case. I'm passing this information on to all of you just so you know. I'm sure many women who take Strontium will never have this happen, but people should know, nevertheless.

46 replies. Join the discussion

NSD, Darn you, I was about to take
Strontium, I Don't have much Hair
now, And this could happen to me lol. Is your Hair coming
back in ? One thing I don't unstand took it for two years befor U hair fell out ,could it be from other things? I like to hear from other that been takeing Strontium.

NSD:

The study you cite involved Strontium Ranelate. Googling strontium
Because you live in NJ you must have been taking Strontium Citrate, is that correct? What dosage do you take?

Maggie

Yes, to clarify, Strontium Citrate. Dosage: two capsules per night (don't remember how many mg) -- whatever was recommended on the label. I used Doctor's Best. To further clarify, I noticed the first patch of hair falling out not too long after I started taking it. Never had anything like this happen before. Had a complete blood panel done -- no thyroid or other issues. Doctors not sure what prompted the hair loss. I found the article on my own and showed it to them.

Well, that's not good. We're damned if we do and damned if we don't! I do take Doctor's Best Strontium also. I will continue to take and will be on the lookout for issues with hair. I appreciate the heads up! Thanks!

I've been taking strontium citrate for four years, and have noticed no significant hair loss, other than that considered normal for an 80 year old.

Even if strontium was shown to cause hair loss, I would definitely continue on it. It helps my bones, and they are much more worthy of preservation than is my hair. Who would choose to risk sitting in a wheelchair just to keep a full head of hair? Considering the ominous side effects of all the osteo meds on the market, hair loss is so benign as to be insignificant.

And at "only" 70 years old, Deronel, I have to say I agree with you. There are always wigs. In fact, I still have one from after my last craniotomy.

Priorities!

Lee

NSD,

Below the aforementioned article on strontium causing alopecia is a rebuttal:

Answer to Sainz et al article
Philippe MUSETTE, Professor Dermatologist
Rouen 76031

Dear Editor,

I read with interest the article Strontium ranelate may cause alopecia, by Sainz et al, which recently appeared in the BMJ (published online 22 April 2009). Alopecia is often diagnosed during dermatological consultation, but it may be difficult to distinguish from seasonal hair loss and identify the cause in a single individual, particularly in the absence of objective measures. Alopecia is frequently described and is reported in between 15% to 30% of women aged over 30 (1) and nearly 50% of women aged over 50 years (2). Indeed, alopecia has a number of known causes, which include menopause, nutritional disorders, thyroid disorders, anemia, iron deficiency, psychological stress, and alopecia areata, which may be spontaneously reversible. Moreover, hair loss is associated with a considerable number of widely used medications: anticoagulants, cholesterol-lowering drugs (fibrates, statins), ACE inhibitors, Beta- blockers, digitalics, antidepressants, antiepileptics, proton pump inhibitors, NSAIDs, bronchodilators, antibiotics, benzodiazepines (3), and recently 1720 spontaneous adverse reaction reports of alopecia in association with alendronate were reported between July 1993 and January 2008 (4,5).

As the cause of alopecia is very difficult to determine due to the many possible etiologies, the relationship with strontium ranelate speculated in the above mentioned article needs to be confirmed by further studies. In addition alopecia cannot be considered as a sign of the syndrome of drug-induced hypersensitivity (6), which involves generalized drug rash, fever, lymph node enlargement, and systemic involvement.

In conclusion, alopecia has been reported as a side effect of many drugs, including antiosteoporotic treatments, though causality is often difficult to establish; it cannot be considered as a symptom of drug- induced hypersensitivity.

Yours sincerely, P. Musette, MD, phD Dermatologist department, Rouen University hospital, France

References:

(1). Birch MP, Lalla SC, Messenger AG. Female pattern hair loss. Clin Exp Dermatol. 2002;27:383-8.

(2). Rogers NE, Avram MR. J Am Acd Dematol. 2008;59:547-66.

(3). Litt JZ. Drug Eruption Reference Manual. 14th ed. Informa Healthcare. 2008.

(4). European Medicines Agency. Fosavance. Summary of product characteristics. Available at: http://www.emea.europa.eu. Accessed: 14 May 2009.

(5). European Public Assessment report revision 6- published 16.12.2008, procedural steps taken after authorization

(6). Valeyrie-Allanore L, Sassolas B, Roujeau JC. Drug-induced skin, nail and hair disorders. Drug Safety. 2007;30:1011-30.

Competing interests: None declared

What has Strontium done for you in the 4 years that you've been taking it? I just started 2-3 weeks ago and I am very hopeful that it will reverse my osteo...

Hi Bone Lady, I wondered if you had any further info on VTEs and Strontium? I know that its mentioned on the Strontium Ranelate prescribing info (PI), and would assume it applies to Strontium Citrate since it's the active ingredient (Strontium) that causes this. Do you have any other literature on this one way or another, that proves-disproves this?

Also, I wondered if you had any info on the following quote from the Protelos PI: disturbances in consciousness (2.6% vs. 2.1%), memory loss (2.5% vs. 2.0%) and seizures (0.4% vs. 0.1%).

http://www.servier.com/Pro/Osteoporosis/Protelos/Protelos.aspx?id=367#cp4

These percentages seem low to me, but I suppose it depends on how you interpret them. My Dr. uses Strontium Citrate in certain populations, but is seeing an increase in seizures among some of her patients. What I can't figure out is if this is totally related to the supplement, or something else. The population is at a Veterans Hosp, where there is more incidence of seizures; but she's seeing an increase in this for some using SC. Just wondered if you'd heard any of this?

Thanks for any help you can provide. Hope you're doing well on your regime...

NSD, that is very interesting since the strontium might have an affect on the parathyroid which when out of wack can result in hair loss/ This happened to me with forteo which wasnt listed as a KNOWN side effect but search the internet and its there. check out hyperparathyroidism and hair loss is there.

We cant expect to alter some natural happening in our bodies without effecting some other process, especially with calcium and bone. Stronium isnt going to be for everyone just as each person has a different reaction to different drugs. sadly we arent all clones with the same needs and results.

NSD,

I took Strontium Citrate for 6 months at 226mg per day (one third the recommended dosage)

My hair growth INCREASED greatly during this time, due to putting Rogaine on my hair. (I use a low dosage of Rogaine also)

It definitely did not hinder my hair growth. Keep in mind I was using a Low Dosage of Strontium.

How was your bone gain with this low dose of Stronium c?

Bits,

It's a complicated question.

I gained 3% in my spine and 2.8% in hip in a six month
trial using Strontium and Cal/Mag/D3). BUT I had taken Alendronate Sodium for a one year trial. I'm told this medicine has an effect on bone growth even after it is discontinued.

If there was an after effect, it decreased my bone density in trial 2, but increased my density in trial 3. Go figure!!

Trial ONE (Alendronate)
spine +4.7% Hip +1.2% INCREASE

Trial TWO (Calcium -Magnesium-D3)
spine -1% Hip -2% DECREASE

TRIAL THREE (Strontium and CalMagD3)
Spine +3% Hip +2.8% INCREASE

I hope this is helpful.

Coveman

I started taking Drs Best strontium this year and so far, no hair loss, but I'll definitely be on the look out for it. It might not be the worst thing for me. If it all fell out, at least I wouldn't have to worry about coloring it anymore. :)

Each serving contains aspartame?! That's not good.

The aspartame remark was referring to the link for Protelos. Sorry, I shouldn't write posts when I still haven't awakened!

Hi Coveman,
That is complicated lol
What were your actual dexa scan results for these trials? I've read that Stronium is heavier& being on a trial, I'm sure they were aware of that.
I was on an Actonel/Fosamax trial my 1st two years. I lost 4 points & at the end of the trial was told I was on Actonel. Esophegeal burns, GI tests confirmed this.
They discovered I wasn't absorbing the calcium& D because my numbers were so low , so they changed me to Aredia.
I lost 20lbs on that& believe me I didn't want to lose weight. Then I was put on Fosamax. My very first pill, my stomach contents came up without warning, like fire. I stopped that.
I was started on Boniva injections & everything improved dramatically in 2 yrs. Now, my fear is the harmful side effects I keep reading on Bisphosinates, so I stopped that.
Stronium seemed like a blessing & now people are warning us of that. Now I don't know what to do.

I have taken Strontium Citrate for four years with no side effects except an increase in bone density; I no longer meet the criteria for osteoporosis. I had 4 fractures (three while on bisphosphonate drugs (Fosamax; Actonel). Also, I suffered a significant fall onto an asphalt driveway in 2009 and did not break any bones.

I've posted my case study reports (2008; 2010) on my website:
http://saradehart.com/index.php?page=health-articles

fantastic

I do want to say on NSDs behalf that to belittle the hair loss vs bone loss import isnt quite the issue. If she is having some kind of major side effect which shows on top of her head, she may be one of the few who end up in the studies having some major internal effect. Although the study would then say its a minority who end up with some sort of severe problem- if its YOU havng the problem, its significant- we all agree on this. Caution and repecting your body is important. Since experiencing my own major side effect and reading what happens to a few, I am more tolerant of those who become cautious. Anyone of us can become the statisitcial minority who doesnt count except to us.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support NOF

Help the National Osteoporosis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Osteoporosis Foundation

Learn more about osteoporosis awareness and prevention

Discussion topics

Links and resources from NOF

Community leaders

Disclaimer

The National Osteoporosis Foundation would like to remind visitors and community members that the views and opinions expressed on this site are not necessarily those of NOF. Please consult your personal healthcare provider regarding any medical information that is shared on this site.