strontium ranelate

My friends on the other side of the world have told me that this drug is used in most of the world to treat oestroposis. They said it is a great drug with NO side effects. For some reason it is not approved for sale in US. Does anyone know about it and is it available for purchase via internet.

23 replies. Join the discussion

Dear Really:
It is not approved in the US and the French company has no plans to get it appproved in the US. There has been discussions on the website regarding this product and you might try a search. No, it is not available on the internet as it is not an approved drug and hence cannot be imported or sold here.

As to side effects, I have seen posts where there are side effects. I have also read studies that it changes the basic bone cell structure. Biophosphates also change the cell structure but the cell structure changes are different.

I think you have just started your Osteo education and would encourage you to take the time to study all of the possible approaches to this "osteo maze". There is a plentitude of approaches that people are trying and there are no easy answers. The first question "Is do you have a problem". Have you suffered a fragility fracture? You can't believe DEXA scans to give you the correct answer as to your risk. Read " The Myth of Osteoporsis" as a starter. Also do a search on this website for comments on the book.

All of the Rx stuff have their downside. Do you forgo these and take the lifestyle change of diet, excercise, vitamins,etc.? If you have had a fragility fracture, then you are in different category than 99 out of 100 people who are concerned about "osteo".

Most medical professionals are have limited exposure to the Osteo maze and will quickly advise meds as their education has come from the drug companies. So you really need to educate yourself and choose what risk you are willing to take, what lifestyle changes you will do, for a chance that you are the 1 out of 100 who needs to do this?

Good luck on your journey. Take your time. Osteo is a long slow process in most cases and taking the time now to educate yourself is really the best course .

Hi Really,

You can buy Strontium Citrate in the Usa.
You do not need a perscription for the *Citrate, and can buy it at a health food stores without a perscription.

When you take your calcium, D, etc.You have to take Strontium about 3 hours before or after, as they will compete.
Also do not eat Calcium at the same time either..

Good luck,
April

Thanks for the information. I had a small fall 3 years ago that resulted in me coming close to losing my arm. I had double compound fractures and then developed multiple infections. They had suspected at that time that I had oestro, but had to deal with me keeping my arm and not dying. Now that I am past that, they did bone density test and it did confirm the oestro. I have several other issues related to the aftermath of the fall and the treatment. I found out I have epilepsy a year ago. I also broke another bone during my recovery period. I have bone/nerve pain every day of my life and the oestro meds in the market in US are terrible for someone with my problems, plus I have to be able to not interfer with my seizure meds. So at this point, all I can do is take calcium. It was actually an online friend in my E community that told me about this drug. Do you know why the company does not want to pursue approval in the US...I am seriously thinking of traveling to another country since there are no approved meds that I can take here. Do you know if you can get this in Canada or Mexico or is it just Europe. I did a search on here but got a lot of unrelated posts

You can buy strontium citrate in the US. I live in New Zealand and get it from a US company, it's not especially expensive either.

Is strontium cirate the same thing as strontium ranelate? I was told they are different

I also have some concerns about strontium citrate because I read there is some concerns about kidney problems. The type of seizure meds I take make me high risk for kidney problems and I don't think my neuroligist would be ok with that.

My Take

it is simply too expensive to go through US trials for this product. A US company is taking a similar strontium product through the maze of US clinical trials. Last I checked it was completing Phase 2 trials.

Strontium Citrate is OTC but no one really knows if it has the same effect as Strontium renelate. Maybe it does or maybe it does not who knows.

Strontium Renelate is not available in Canada I am not sure of Mexico. The french manufacturer of this stuff lists the countries where it is approved. you could check that list.

Really,
Someone here said that UC Davis in California was starting to do testing on Strontium Citrate, but only for 3 months.
My personal opinion is, 3 months is not long enough for any type of testing!

You might want to check out www.google.com .
write in Strontium Citrate, , then Strontium Renelate, and see what you think!

It is true if you have a kidney a problem then any Stronitum might not be right for you.
What does your Dr. say about your condition, and what to take?

Take care,
April

I have taken OsteoValin which has strontium carbonate in it. No side effects, take at bedtime, at least 2 hours after any calcium. But...I am rethinking about whether to continue. My condition did improve but now I understand there can be false readings.

Here is another thing to think about. The body needs to be in an alkaline state in order to be healthy. If we are acidic, the calcium and magnesium in our bones are leached out to get back to the alkaline balance. The older we get, (I am 75), the more difficult to keep the balance. And the things we love, dairy, wheat, red meat, sodas, coffee, etc, are all on the acid side. I am changing my diet to an alkalizing diet to see how it works. I will miss my one cup of java, and my home baked bread only a little. I will enjoy the challenge and hopefully will feel better.

By the way, has a doctor ever tested anyone to see where their body pH really is? Not me, seems somewhat basic.

Keep searching,

Gigigirl

Gigigirl,

Have you had your dexa test taken again after you have stopped taking the strontium?

I started taking strontium citrate, but I have not seen Strontium Carbonate!
Does anyone know if the Carbonate and Citrate work the same?

Does anyone know if Strontium is a *Salt? As I know its a Mineral.

I did buy strips to tell if I'm alkaline or acid.
But truthfully keep forgetting to use them!!!

I'm not a coffee, soda drinker, or bread, but do drink Green Tea, and now heard to drink black tea.
Black tea might be a good alternative for you Gigi!
I know if you drink green tea, and add about 4 drops of lemon in your cup it doubles the Antioxidents. It has to be from a real lemon, not lemon frozen juice.

Take care,
April

I don't have kidney problems at this time, but the AED I am on metatabolizes in the kidney. So neutro keeps close watch on what could affect my kidneys any further.
So far, my neuro and orthodic surgeon are in agreement that I should just take only calcium. I had bad experience on the actenol. I will have to ask them about this OTC...I have to be very careful because a lot of OTC cannot be taken with seizure meds. I think everyone is in agreement that the seizures are my number one priority as there is a concern about me having another trauma injury to my bones if my seizures return.

Gigi Girl
Without being too technical Strontium on its own is an element so when combined with other chemicals to form it's citrate, carbonate or even ranelate it is, within chemistry, regarded aas a salt.
In theory once any of the salts of strontium are dissolved in the stomach the salts ionises realeasing the strontium.
Again in theory most salts of strontium should work equally as well as it is the strontium that supposedly does the bone building.
Strontium Ranulate is a man made molecule not existing in nature. That's why it was chosen by Servier because it then becomes patentable and thus a money spinner.
If only drug companies were interested in curing people rather than just making money!
I stopped drinking tea because in fact I read that there is in fact quite a bit of caffeine present even in green tea. I now drink dandelion, nettle and chamomile tea and am looking into Rooibos tea; all caffiene free alternatives.
Good lick!

Caff,
Thank you for your info.

I was wondering if Strontium is a salt, as after taking it for a few weeks, my left Ankle is swelling! I have skinny ankles.
I have not taken Strontium for acouple of week now, and it has gone down, but now I notice that I just started taking, Glucosamine, Chondronitin , MSM, and Hyaluronic acid, its swelling a little bit again also, but not as bad as when taking strontium!!
I do not salt my foods. I only use Herbs.

Think I'm going to call a Cardo Dr.
This is all so confusing!

It's true that green tea has Caffeine, but it metabolizes much slower then coffee, and does not harm your stomach !.. That said, I cannot drink coffee cause it causes me to get an irregular heartbeat, even decaff.
I had a ulcer for years, and coffee would cause me so much pain, but green tea or any Herb Tea has never bothered me!
When I make tea , I usually use green tea and also another herb tea, sometimes Chamomile, or others.
Dandelion is excellent for your Liver. I don't think I have ever noticed Dandelion tea, but now I'm be looking for it.

Take Care,
April

Thanks Caff55, I appreciate the information on strontium. There are lots of smart people here!

Another tea suggestion is ginger tea. Just grate the root into a cup and add some hot water. Good for digestion and delicious.

Gigigirl

Thanks Caff55, I appreciate the information on strontium. There are lots of smart people here!

Another tea suggestion is ginger tea. Just grate the root into a cup and add some hot water. Good for digestion and delicious.

Gigigirl

Dear Really:
If you are really interested in strontium ranelate, you might find a friend visiting in Europe and ask them to buy some for you. My sister was in Spain and visited a pharmacist and he would sell all you want without a prescription. Not sure what the problem might be when coming back to the US.

Sounds like you have some real issues. Best of luck.

If Strontium Citrate is the same as prescription Strontium Ranelate, why wouldnt someone want to take the Strontium Citrate which is easy to buy ,and natural?

Just wondering?

April995: Who says (aside from the faddists) that Strontium Ranelate is the "same" as Strontium Citrate? Until there are head-to-head studies, nobody knows if they really have the "same" effect. Here's something to wonder about: the fact that Strontium Ranelate is in suspension form seems to imply that it is not efficiently absorbed in pill form. Does this mean that Strontium Citrate is possibly not efficiently absorbed in pill form? If so, that could be a big difference between the two compounds.

A Lab Women from "Doctors best", who manufactors Strontium Citrate called me today.
I will share what (I can remember) she had to say about Strontium Citrate, or you can also call there.

She said there has NOT been any proof that you would have to stop taking Strontium before taking a bone density test, she wants to know who spread that rummer, and what facts are to back it up?
" Doctors Best" Strontium comes from Utah, the lab is in California. Nothing comes from China. Although she said there are makers of vits that come from China, that are owned and run by Americans that live there.

I was getting a swollow left ankle from taking Strontium citrate!!. Since I tore the muscle of that leg about 14yrs ago, she suggested I get acupunture, to see if there is a blockage! Also to take down swelling. Mix fresh lemon juice with natural cayanne juice, and a small amount of pure maple syrup. Drink it.
It's also a healthy drink for everyday.

It says on the bottle, you should not take Strontium it if you have reinal failure. They have not had any problem with Strontium unless your on dialysis she said.

Strontium ranelate is a perscription, and works the same as Strontium Citrate, which can be bought at a Health food store, and is natural.
I'm just telling you , what Doctors Best told me.

April

RE: Doctor's checking pH of patients. Dang! I knew there was something I was going to ask her to do today. She has checked my pH in the past, I think I was a bit acidic at the time. I'd really like to know if I've improved since. I wonder if my aquarium strips would work? :) ~ jan

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support NOF

Help the National Osteoporosis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Osteoporosis Foundation

Learn more about osteoporosis awareness and prevention

Discussion topics

Links and resources from NOF

Community leaders

Disclaimer

The National Osteoporosis Foundation would like to remind visitors and community members that the views and opinions expressed on this site are not necessarily those of NOF. Please consult your personal healthcare provider regarding any medical information that is shared on this site.