Slim Pillow best for posture whilst sleeping for osteoporosis

My physiotherapist has recommended using a slim pillow ( as slim and flat as possible), for sleeping.
She said that the modern trend of sleeping with lots of pillows is bad for your neck and back posture, in that they push your neck and head forward. So a flatter pillow would keep your head and neck in better alignment with your back.

12 replies. Join the discussion

I've always preferred a flat pillow, but they seem impossible to find these days. Several years ago, when I needed to replace my old flat pillow, I couldn't find a new one anywhere. I finally settled for a small rectangular throw pillow, placed inside a child's pillowcase. For me, it works fine.

I was interested in this posting because I just returned from a cruise and slept with two pillows (made only for cruise lines, unfortunately) which were 55% cotton and 45 % polyester. They were very flexible and much flatter than the pillows I normally used. After several days I noticed that I had no head or neck pain even though they didn't seem to have any support because they were "squishy." However, I was able to push part of the pillow under my neck and I think that helped.

Interesting discussion; I too have been having neck pain that I think is associated with too bulky a pillow. Big, fluffy pillows seem to be popular. I am trying an older down pillow that gives a lot when compressed. There are these neck pillows, made of memory foam, that have a round ridge for the neck, are otherwise fairly flat, but they do not give much when used.

Very good information. I have some neck pain lately and I think it is because of my pillows. I will look for a
slimmer pillow.

I have successfully used a down pillow which I crumple up to provide support under my neck but otherwise is fairly flat, but I currently love my memory foam pillow with the neck support. I never waken with neck pain. I agree that fat pillow that push your neck forward are not good.

I am a flat pillow-believer, but I just bought a Comfort U-shaped body pillow and as a side-sleeper, I find it very comfortable and no more neck pain! Plus the long sides of the U support my back. I have a memory foam pillow with the neck support, but find it like sleeping on an indented bag of cement.

Hi,

I have never seen or heard of the type of U pillow you are talking about. Where do you get them?

Thank You

llots

Hi,

Does this mean you should always sleep on your back? I use a flat pillow but always wind up on my stomach. I wonder if that is bad.

Thanks

llots

I was wondering the same as llots . Do you all
sleep on your back with this flat pillow?
Also what about a pillow under the knees to
take pressure off the back, good idea or not.

Thanks,
Wellness

My Osteopathic doctor recommended I get a pillow she has used for years, and "once tried, you will never go back to the regular type of pillow again."
It's one of those contour type pillows. I bought it at Walmart for $10, memory foam contour's are more expensive, but the same concept. Many other stores carry them as well, but range from $40- $70.
She said it keeps your spine in line, all night, and keeps your neck and head from turning sideways, once asleep, and causing neck aches in the a.m. for those of us with Osteoporosis.
So, I bought one, and like she said it is different and takes time to get used to, but I noticed many good things happening after using it.
# I wake up rested, like I did get a good nights sleep.
#2 I don't wake up with my neck and back aching.
#3 My neck at times will readjust itself during the day, as though it is realigning into place, that it hasn't been in for years! I will also experience a surge of blood to my brain, because my spine is not pinching off things in my neck now.
There is no pain with it when it happens and my neck feels stronger. I used to get my neck manipulated by either a Chiropractor or Osteopath and now my doctor says , no way can you get that done now with Cervical Spondylosis or Osteoporosis.
The Contour pillow is larger at one end and rounded and flat at the other end, made of foam and has charcoal and Green Tea it in !" Detoxing my brain while I sleep" LOL!
I think its for odors whatever!
I sleep on my back on the contour side, it feels like a bunch is under your neck , and that is what is hard to get used to, but as you rest your neck into it , it also prevents you from turning your neck side to side during the night. That way you aren't kinking your neck and causing neck pain or mis-alignment during the night. If I want to sleep on my side I use the flatter side.
Anyway, I feel much better in the mornings now and sleep so much better and wake up feeling like I had a good nights sleep. I wouldn't go back to using a regular pillow now either!
I can't wait to tell my doctor when I see her again!

Since I broke my back and have to be flat I use a U shaped pillow. The kind you fly with... NOT THE BLOW UP KIND.... but the cloth one. WORKS like a charm. It is flat and really ONLY supports your neck. After 4 months I can not sleep with any other pillow. TRY it... hopeit hleps
VIcki

The neck support question is really something that is hard to give a good answer when you don't know the patient, where the deficit is located. etc. Most experts advise a cervial roll for sleeping or lying down especially supine. Even a small rolled towel can help.
Robin McKenzie, the author of "Treat your own Neck" and "Treat your own Back" has good advice, and some simple exercises. You Can find these books on Amazon, Ebay or just google it. Even with that you need guidance from your therapist.
My rule of thumb is "know your own body" Figure out what pillow, position or whatever makes you feel better then do it. If it makes your neck feel better, then it is the right one.
Yes, you should have a pillow under your knees when you rest on your back along with some cervical support if needed.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support NOF

Help the National Osteoporosis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Osteoporosis Foundation

Learn more about osteoporosis awareness and prevention

Discussion topics

Links and resources from NOF

Community leaders

Disclaimer

The National Osteoporosis Foundation would like to remind visitors and community members that the views and opinions expressed on this site are not necessarily those of NOF. Please consult your personal healthcare provider regarding any medical information that is shared on this site.