side effects of reclast infusion

16 hours after the reclast infusion we were in the hospital with heart failure, water on the lungs. Every medical problem mom had was amplified. Im so upset and yet there are no answeres. After 5 months she is doing better with her heart and lungs. But now she is showing signs of Dementia. Ever since the infusion there has been signs of memory problems, confusion weakness . Has anyone experienced these problems.

22 replies. Join the discussion

Sorry to hear your mom is having so many problems. I have a lot of medical problems myself. So when I discussed the option of reclast with my doctor, she told me this drug is still considered "experimental" and patients with other medical issues, like myself, should not be considered good candidates for this treatment.

How old is your mom?

Hi, Mom just turned 80.

I had a horrible reaction to this drug on my second infusion. First infusion went fine, so I thought the 2nd would too. I have systemic lupus, so I think I built up antibodies to the drug after infusion #1, then the reaction was swift, severe, and has lasted over 2 yrs.
I think people with autoimmune disease should stick to oral bisphosphonates, so they can stop the drug if any reactions occur. This drug stays in your system 1-2 yrs, and there is no way to get it out once it is infused. I wonder if your mom has lupus or any other autoimmune (rheumatological) condition that caused her severe reaction.

I have heard that, when pharmaceutical companies are getting people for the studies on a new medication , they get the youngest and healthiest people available. I received my first Reclast IV when I was 75 and the second when I was 76. What I know now is that people who are chemically sensitive anyway and are along in years should NOT take the first Reclast. Did our doctors know this when it was first put on the market? I think that, as usual, the pharmaceutical company was dishonest with their original findings. Now there are MANY side effects listed on the internet.

I am reading Sherry Rogers, MD's book on "Detox or Die" and doing what I can to detox. It is beginning to help, but I still have MANY phyosical problems from the IV.

I've had the reclast IV twice now. I had severe compression fractures in almost every verterbrae in my back plus my pelvic bone cracked last winter. My bone density showed very low t-scores. I will be 50 in August. The 1st time I had the reclast, I had the usual flu like symptons they talk about. The 2nd time, I made it thru just fine(lots of water drinking and some Tylenol). I feel that this medication has helped me get better. I also do not depend on alot of drugs and do alot of walking. Sure I'm still in some pain, but its muscle pain. And it gets worse the more I slow down and do nothing.
I have a good friend who I have watched get worse and worse the last couple years because she doesn't work at trying to get better. She has a negative attitude towards everything and takes alot of pain drugs. I think the drs. have given up on her because of this.
My point is that I think to get better instead of worse is not to blame the drs. and the drugs that are prescribed, but look inside yourself, and think a positive life and do something about it. Sure its hard-but I look at myself and I could still be lying on that couch and withering away while the drs keep giving me drugs. Little steps will move onto big steps if you let it. I don't think these drs. know the answers to any of this, but I'm not going to depend on them to try and get better. I will improve things myself and do the things that I want to do!!
I know the older you get the harder it is, but my grandmother is 92 and her attitude is the same as mine!!

Thank you, Tricia2, for your comments. I too work at being positive about my osteoporosis and taking care of myself. I'm 61 1/2. My doctor talks about Reclast when I finish Forteo this Nov. I've read other web sites with comments from women and for the most part, they are very complimentary about Reclast. The flu-like symptoms didn't last beyond two weeks, and their bones continue to stay healthy. MOST patient information sheets (that come with a new prescription) say that the drugs were not tested on the elderly. Anyone who is 80...I would question the doctor thoroughly before I let someone that age take Reclast or just about any other drug. I'm nervous about taking Actonel, or Boniva or the like whe I finish Forteo because I was on Actonel for 6 years prior to starting Forteo and continued to lose bone mass big time.

Thank you for the nice reply, I kind of get aggravated on this site because there are just so many negative things said. Every person is different with the kind of meds that might work for them. And I do think that being positive about your indiviual situation is so helpful. I know if I didn't work on that every single day, I could just be laying around in critical pain and never have a life. I work very hard at my business to keep it going and people are always coming up and asking how I manage to do it knowing the pain I have. I do look like I'm 80 yrs. old(I'm hunched over) and some days feel it, but I still get up in the morning and get myself moving. All I'm saying is no matter what, keep a positive outlook on everything. The more negative things you think about and let the drs. do to you, the worse off you will be. Thanks for letting me vent!

Tricia, you are so right about attitude having alot to do about everything. Being positive is the key. I wish we had asked more questions about reclast. wish i had thought to look it up. Mom is going to be okay. Im glad the reclast is working for you. I'm thrilled your positive actions are proving to move you forword.

Hi...I am a 73 year old male and I do have a very positive outlook even though I have serious emphysema, O2 24/7, and macular degeneration.
I was on Fosomax for 5.5 years and ended up with osteoporosis. I went to a rheumatologist and after the tests and giving him my history, he advised that;I go on Reclast. That was the early part of June, 09. I have read so many adverse reactions to Reclast, that I really don't forward to messing with it. I exercise 30 to 40 minutes twice a week on the treadmill, armcycle and bicycle, and also use 3 weight machines for arms and legs. I have reviewed Vivian Goldschmidt's stuff and will at least try to eat more of what she suggests. I am taking 1260 mg of Citrical and 100 iu of Vit. D amd try to sit in the sun for 20*25 minutes most days. What I do not need is reactions to Reclast or breaking a bone and ending up getting an operation and not getting off a ventilator, as the doc says could happen. I stand straight and am in no pain. My hips are - 3.2 and - 3.0. I am not sure a second opinion will help my decision. Any advice? Thanks.

Slkanowitz,

I was concerned after reading your post. I also have systemic lupus. My lupus has been inactive for 18 years. I'm supposed to get my second Reclast infusion on Aug. 25. I had absolutely no side effects from the first one. But I'm thinking the same thing could happen to me.

Was your lupus active when you had your first infusion?

I am definitely going to discuss this with my rheumatologist.

Karen 698,
My lupus was under reasonable control on Placquenil, Methotrexate (max doses). I was not on Prednisone at that time, but have been on it since and cannot get off it. I don't think there is any research on this issue, so if there is any way you can take the oral bisphosphonates, like Boniva, etc., I would. I would hate to see your lupus flare up after 18 years of inactivity. I am now switching to Cellcept because the lupus is so out of control and even affecting my kidneys now, which it never had before.
That is since the infusion, and I have not been the same since. They called it a serum sickness reaction.
Hope that helps you.

I had a bone mass exam in April of this year. I started on
Evista medication. My age is 74. Even with my plan D prescription,the medications are very expensive. My friend has had the Reclast IV and Medicare paid for it. I was turned down for the infusion because I had not taken all three medications and they did not work. Has anybody run into this problem of not qualifying?

I had a bone mass exam in April of this year. I started on
Evista medication. My age is 74. Even with my plan D prescription,the medications are very expensive. My friend has had the Reclast IV and Medicare paid for it. I was turned down for the infusion because I had not taken all three medications and they did not work. Has anybody run into this problem of not qualifying?

I am in my early fifties with several chronic conditions such as asthma and hypertension. I had my first Reclast infusion about 1.5 years ago. My side effects were minimal (next day I was little tired, next week I had some bone pain for a week or two). My repeat bone density a year later was improved. Just yesterday, I had my second Reclast infusion. So far, I am having no side effects. So for me, Reclast plus calcium and plenty of vit. D ( I have a problem with it always being low) and walking seem to be the best option. But we all should do our homework before starting any treatment and find what we feel is safe and fits our lifestyle and health beliefs.

Hi Really...I was interested in your doc's comment that reclast is still experimental. I am 73 and my rheumatologist suggested Rec;ast in early June. I have not gone on it because I have emphysema and that puts my auto imune system pretty low. I don't need any more problems, and while I am positive thinking, and I exercise, and my eating habits are not the greatest, I am still hesitating to take the drug. Jim

I am 58 and was diagnoised with osteoprosis 3 years ago. I tried fosamax but it did not improve my bone mass. I am active, exercise regularly. My doctor recommended the reclast IV. I am concerned about taking any medication that is such a large dose at one time. The side effects are scary, especially because many profiles include muscle and joint pain. I am self employed, a jewelry designer and the use of my hands and being mobile are esssential to my livelyhood. I travel to show my work and looking at this time for more natural ways to address osteoporosis. If anyone has found any successes or suggestions that might help my quest for a more natural approach to building stronger bones, please let me know. Thanks

I am 65 years old and have osteoporosis. After taking Fosamax for a year and Boniva for a year, I was given Reclast infusion. No side effects. But with-in one year I lost 2 teeth that I had root canals and crowns on. The oral surgeon had me sign a paper that because I had taken all three of these drugs that he would not be held reponsible for any damages to bones in my jaw. I feel there is some connection with these drugs and loosing teeth. No more of these drugs for me.

Hi Carolejean I had my Reclast infusion 5/4/09. I am having severe gum problems. Swollen red inflamed. My doctor is concerned. I am have had many serious side effects and the term they used to diagnose me was serum sickness. The pain moves in my body and is on the right side of my body. Is anone else affected like myself?

Has any experienced reduced thyroid stimulating hormone levels as a side effect of Reclast? I have also experienced significant hair loss and I underastand now that hair loss is pretty common.

Does the hair eventually grow back? I understand the side effects can last for a long time-1-2 years.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support NOF

Help the National Osteoporosis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Osteoporosis Foundation

Learn more about osteoporosis awareness and prevention

Discussion topics

Links and resources from NOF

Community leaders

Disclaimer

The National Osteoporosis Foundation would like to remind visitors and community members that the views and opinions expressed on this site are not necessarily those of NOF. Please consult your personal healthcare provider regarding any medical information that is shared on this site.