reclast infusion

hi, i would like to speak to people who have had reclast infusions. are you feeig any bone /joiint pain/discomfort 2 months after the infusion or longer?

41 replies. Join the discussion

Hi Bumble,

I have not heard much good about this stuff. I have not had it but was told I needed it. You need to read this whole site. It sounds to me from what I have read that this stuff is failrly new on the market-That makes me scared. I have also read that the Forteo causes bone cancer in rats. They can forget that on me. Find out all you can cause if your like me the Dr's tell you nothing other then you need it.

I had Relcast in March and other than the initial aches and chills in the first 24 hrs (lasted only a few hours), I've not had any pain.

thanks for replying, i feel a lot of dull aching in what seems like the tops of my femurs, but i walk alot , and i'm hoping this is good pain/discomfort!! i'm hoping my bones are gaining density!! and does osteoporosis cause generalized aches and pains in bones? some days i ache all over, i'm very active.

thanks for your reply, yeah i did forteo for a year but my levels got worse! so i went back on fosamax, i've maintained my poor levels for about 6 years , so fed up with taking fosamax, and after a lot of research opted to take the reclast infusion, so i hope it helps, i'm feeling it will, but i do have this aching in my hips....

I had the reclast IV in late Jan. Other than the initial flu like symptons I had immediately after, I have had no other aches and pains. But then I had compression fractures all down my spine and my doctors hope was to hopefully have the reclast build my bones back up to where I could walk again without having surgery.
I do have to tell everyone that this drug has helped me so much. Not only was I walking within a month, I am almost off all of my pain meds and I only wear my back brace when I am either working or when I know I have to be careful.
I run our local farmers market every summer and I start that job this Saturday. That means dragging road barriers out and setting up and walking up and down a street that is a slight grade. Plus setting up tents and tables for a booth. I will have lots of help, and I will be very careful, but I have faith that this Reclast has worked on my back. All of my friends have been amazed in what it has done.
So to all the naysayers out there that are afraid of what this medicine will do for you, I say that I'm a living example of how well it worked and how fast it helped the fractures in my back. I also had a positive state of mind that I was going to get better in a short period of time. I couldn't imagine living in the pain and not ever being able to walk again.
Tricia

Reclast (zoledronic) has been "approved" for osteoporsis since last August but has been used for years with cancer patients- so there is history out there to read. I had my treatment 2/5 and other than first 24 hours fever and chills I have had no other problems. I found out after the treatment that hydrating prior to the infusion could have helped the flu like symptoms.

I had Reclast four months ago. My only uncomfortable reaction was some bone pain on Days 2 and 3. After two months I experienced relief from a troublesome symptom; my hip used to slip out of joint a lot and now it no longer does. I can't guarantee cause-and-effect here but the timeline is interesting. To the person who "has not heard much good [about Reclast]", in a controlled study it reduced hip and vertebral fracture by impressive margins. That's pretty good. Here's another good thing: Reclast doesn't upset your stomach as the oral pills do. I understand your concern that this drug has been used only since about 2000 (first for bone cancer then for osteoporosis as well). My husband is a pharmacologist and VERY conservative about drug use---he is the one who is always saying "Wait, we don't have longitudinal data"---but re Reclast he agreed with me that my risk of fracture and disability outweighed the risk of adverse effect from the drug.

trisha - could you tell me what reclast IV is? I have to make a decision as to take reclast or not - I'm doing research now. Thank you. Linda

Reclast is a fairly new osteoporisis medication administered via an IV. Its about a liter bottle and takes about 15 minutes to drain into your vein. It goes directly into your bones to make them stronger and prevent breaks and fractures. Its a once a year treatment.
I did have flu like symptons for about 48 hours after having it, but like everyone else has said--they told me to drink a glass of water before having it done. I think I should have been way more hydrated before and after. My doctor told me I should not have these symptons as bad the next year.
If you would like more info, just google Reclast and it will bring up some websites.

I still feel that reclast should be a last resort medication. My Dr just told me this week that if you have a bad reaction from it , they cannot get it out of you. He feels if you tolerate the pills and take them faithfully they are just as effective. Also a lot of insurance companies are not paying for it, as it costs around 2100. You have to have a good diagnosis and no high deductable or plan on going broke.

I am getting an infusion of reclast this Thursday and after reading the entries on this site - I feel really good about my decision. Thanks so much to all of you posting your exiperiences. I have 6 spinal fractures and a fracture in my leg below the knee. I think I broke my foot walking today. I will wait for 2 weeks for the calcium to show on the xray since it never shows up right away and I waste time going to the doctor if I go right away. Thanks all!!!

great story Tricia .. everyone is different and so glad it worked for you

I had the infusion in March, I did not have a noticeable effect. I am very glad I had it, I plan on having another one in 2009. We just have to hope this is the right med. My Dr. told me if I had a fracture I could be in a wheel chair, so its sure worth the try.

My doctor said it was only about $1200 but that my insurance was likely to pay for most of it. That's just a little more than my Fosamax. I was also worried about not being able to "stop" it but he said it either goes to your bones just like Fosamax or leaves the body in a day or two. I'm probably going to schedule the appointment. Good luck and feel good whatever you decide is best for you!

Hi everyone, I just had my first Reclast infusion last Monday. The RN who did the infusion called me last week and told me about drinking plenty of water before and after. She also had me lie down that afternoon for 20 min. I actually fell asleep so that turned into 40 minutes. So far, I've had no side effects. I tried all the pills but they all gave me stomach problems.

My research was that reclast is 2100. The insurance will cover it only if you have met your deductable. Depending on your plan. Reclast has not been on the market that long. They don't know that much about it. Do a lot of reading on it before making your decision. I was told not to get it by one of my DR.'s as it can have debilitating effects. If you react to it , your stuck! They cannot get it out of your system for over a yr.

1 month after reclast and feeling great. Craving dairy. So glad I did it. My flu like symptoms after were worse than most listed here. But I am still glad I did it.

I have an appt Sept 4 to decide to get Reclast or not. Any Advice out there will be much appreciated. Thank you

My twin sister took the Reclast IV procedure about 3 months ago. Prior to taking Reclast, she was a very active person. Now, she is unable to do things for herself. The Reclast injection has had a very debilitating effect. She is in constant SEVERE pain. The possible side effects disclosed by Reclast in no way describe the true pain. She can't even hardly walk or lift her arms because of the pain. And, it is getting worse each day. She has to have help going to the bathroom, showering and even feeding herself. She is very opposed to taking addictive meds (narcotics), but has finally had to start taking hydro. And, even that doesn't stop the pain. The next option would be morphine!! What a terrible thing to happen to a perfectly healthy woman. Her physician totally agrees that it is the side effects of Reclast. Has anyone else experienced this? If so, please let me know. Thanks.

Hi morning132,

I have not had Reclast but do have some experience with the drug also known as Zometa as it is used for cancer patients.

My husband had metastestes to his bone from kidney cancer and had several Zometa treatments. He always was well hydrated before the iv treatment and had a 4 hour iv hydration drip afterwards to be sure to flush the kidneys since this drug can be hard on kidneys.

Also a big warning... be sure to have any and all invasive dental work done and healed before treatment. While rare, my husband developed ONJ (oesteonecrosis of the jaw) as a result of the drug and dental work. He has no evidence of the cancer for now, but the ONJ is quite troublesome.

He had the flu like symptoms for a day or two after treatments and has fluctuating bone pain now 2 years later, we can not be sure if that is a result of the Zometa or the cancer or arthritis. As I learn more about biophosphanates I am leaning towards the treatment as the cause for his pain.

In the course of treatment for his ONJ the experts have told us they are not really sure how long the Zometa would be active in his sytem.

I took the once a month Actonel and had significant bone pain for 10 days. I can only imagine to the person senstitive to biophosphantes that the once a year iv (12x the monthly dose) could cause severe bone pain.

Wishing the best for your sister,
Eileen

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support NOF

Help the National Osteoporosis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Osteoporosis Foundation

Learn more about osteoporosis awareness and prevention

Discussion topics

Links and resources from NOF

Community leaders

Disclaimer

The National Osteoporosis Foundation would like to remind visitors and community members that the views and opinions expressed on this site are not necessarily those of NOF. Please consult your personal healthcare provider regarding any medical information that is shared on this site.