Prolia (Denosumab)

Has anyone had prolia for treatment of their osteoporosis? Saw my endocrinologist today and recommended Prolia. She said there were less contraindants with this than Reclast. I had a Reclast treatment May '10 and had a negative side effect. I'd sure like to hear from anyone who has had this treatment. Thank you.

28 replies. Join the discussion

Here is the latest on Reclast from Consumer Affairs:

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2011/03/osteoporosis-drug-reclast-lin ked-to-kidney-failure.htm

The FDA has yet to warn the public about renal failure and put a warning on the drug. I do not do anymore drugs, and am trying strontium citrate and Ultra Bone Up.

Sally48, How much strontium citrate do you take? Have you been taking it very long?

My Dr. wants me to take prolia too. after a bad reaction to Boniva I am worried about taking it. I too dont want to be a guinea pig because it is so new. I have lots of other health issues & dont need any more. my tests have not changed in two years so I think I got time.

I had my first (and last) reclast 12/02/10, by 01/10/11 both wrists, both shoulders are in pain, any pressure on them is awful. i assume this is bone pain. my most important question is will this go away by the end of the year, or am i stuck with it for life.?
thanx, rachel

I saw my Rheumatologist today and he wants to start me on either Reclast or Prolia. I finished two years of Forteo in February. When I told him about my concern re: the Reclast side effects, he said that evidently they don't last that long. The other option is Prolia, but when I read the info, I wonder if I would be jumping from the frying pan into the fire.
I asked him about Strontium and he said that the effective form isn't available in the US, but it is in Canada.
However, I am 3 1/2 years post 20-level spinal fusion , my 8th back surgery, and he states that if after finishing the course of Forteo, I don't start on something else, the effects of the Forteo will begin to 'degrade' (my word, not his). The prospect of more spinal surgery scares me to death, so I'd be grateful for any input about these drugs.

I am curious about the Ultra Bone up. Is the hydroxapatite more easily absorbed? I have also been concerned about the phosphorous content. Do you know how much phosphorus it contains? How many do you take a day?

Thank you!

What is Ultra Bone Up? I haven't heard about that before

Benjimom, you said "I asked him (the dr) about Strontium and he said that the effective form isn't available in the US...."

That is an incorrect statement. The doctor should have said "the PATENTED form isn't available in the US." The patented form, SR, is not more effective than strontium citrate, just more expensive.

Other ingredients have been added to Strontium Ranelate primarily to create a product which can be patented and trial tested, and marketed as a prescription producing a profit. Strontium citrate is a natural supplement, available OTC and dirt cheap by comparison.

Google it!

Has anybody taken Prolia? That was the question posited. I will ask again: has anyone taken Prolia?

Raven,

I wouldn't want to take Prolia/denosumab, due to the fact that it messes with the immune system. Too easy to become infected with just about anything when the immune system is suppressed. There are some nasty infections out there nowadays.

Tom

Thanks for your input. I'll check it out.

Dana22
I take 6 a day 2 with each meal. The label says Easy-Solv tablets. The phosphorous content, none listed. I researched different forms of calcium and I decided this is the best one for me. Here is a web site I foundhttp://www.naturopathicdoc.com/template.cfm?page=1.that compare calcium. I have calcium deposits and wanted one that would not deposit more in my soft tissues. Also, one that is food sensitive, as I have many food intolerances. I also take Jarrosil(a biologically Activated Silicon) with the Ultra Bone-Up, which was recommended for best results on the label. I have been taking it about four months now along with the strontium citrate before bed. I am working out, walking, doing Tai Chi, and trying to have a more alkaline diet. My own program after years of trial and error by the doctors. Fosamax, Fosamax plus Evista, Fosamax plus formulary HRT, Soy derivatives, Menostar, all had side effects. So far no side effects. I chose Ultra Bone-Up because it seems to have all the nutrients for bone building. I hope I answered your questions.

Marjo225,
I have found a site that tells more about Ultra Bone Up with reviews. http://www.iherb.com/Jarrow-Formulas-Ultra-Bone-Up-240-Easy-Solv-Tablets/82 02?at=1 It is a form of calcium from bovine bone free range from AU. http://www.naturopathicdoc.com/template.cfm?page=1. , here is another site that shows the different forms of calcium. I am using both the Ultra Bone-Up with Jarrosil, and strontium as I have just posted to Dana 22. I just can't do anymore drugs. This is my own program with no help from the doctors. I think I will fare just as well or better. Hope this answers your questions on Ultra Bone Up...

Thanks for the info

I have not taken Prolia, and will not take it. I once read of a doctor that would not prescribe any medications to his family or friends unless they had been on the market for 10 years. 10 years you will be able to see just what damage to the body they do. Doctors test and get a negative result, if they do not try to correct it, they could be sued if you fracture. They are only trying to do what they were trained to do. Prolia has been on the market less than a year. I believe Better Bones web site has an article on osteo drugs.

The question asked: has anyone taken Prolia?

Sally 48,

Thank you for your response. I also have trouble with calcium deposits in soft tissues and absorption issues. I have been taking Calcium Citrate, but I think I will try the Ultra Bone Up, based on the link you sent as well as other articles which indicate that the calcium hydroxyapatite has better absorption. My hips have stabilized but I keep losing in my back. Although I have been resistant to meds, I decided to try Bio identical HRT. So far it seems okay and I am sleeping better, plus my NTX test showed less bone loss. However, I still have a high urine calcium excretion.

So thank you for answering all my questions. I hope you have a great weekend.

"Question: Is anyone taking Prolia?"

Unfortunately, Prolia is so new, that you might have trouble finding anyone who is taking it. Most of us don't want to be guinea pigs by being the first to try a new med until knowing how others have done with it, which of course, is why you're asking!

When I first read about Prolia, it sounded great and I was hoping it would be the answer for my severe osteoporosis. However, as time went on, and I read the "rest of the story", I decided there were more downsides than I was willing to accept. My rheumatologist was hoping I would agree to go on Prolia. I think he was anxious to get someone on board with it, mostly so he would have some first-hand experience with the drug. Understandable from his viewpoint, I suppose, but no thanks - find someone else!

I agree I'm a bit reluctant to be one of the guinea pigs, also. I had been waiting anxiously for this medication, thought for sure it was the absolute answer to my osteoporosis. After it was approved, I started reading about the side effects and naturally became somewhat hesitant. Of course, the drug companies have to list all possible side effects, but when you're reading through the list you just become apprehensive. I'm really hoping that someone out there has tried it and would truthfully give us some positive/negative feedback. I am feeling somewhat more positive about this drug than the others. I like the way this drug is stopping the bone destruction and rebuilding, rather than just putting a hardener on the bones. Please, spread the word and encourage those who have had it to let us know their experiences.

Hi Dana22,
When you said you had a high urine calcium excretion, my first thought was sodium. How much sodium are you using? I try to keep my sodium to 1500mg a day. Here is an article I read on a study of high calcium excretion that found potassium citrate helped, meaning more fruits and vegetables. I eat very little meat more to flavor foods, and more vegetables plus a salad. I find I have more energy. Here is the link:http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11994333. Also filter your water, and add some lemon to it.

Have a wonderful week, it is finally spring here in the Northeast! Sally

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support NOF

Help the National Osteoporosis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Osteoporosis Foundation

Learn more about osteoporosis awareness and prevention

Discussion topics

Links and resources from NOF

Community leaders

Disclaimer

The National Osteoporosis Foundation would like to remind visitors and community members that the views and opinions expressed on this site are not necessarily those of NOF. Please consult your personal healthcare provider regarding any medical information that is shared on this site.