Osteoporosis exercises

Any suggestions on safe exercises for a person with severe osteoporosis?

15 replies. Join the discussion

My rheumatologist strongly cautioned against yoga, but recommended tai chi. There are great resources on the National Osteoporosis Foundation website, including some archived webinars about exercise. Finally, you may find specifically-designed fitness programs at large hospitals--Vanderbilt University Med Center, where I am a patient, has a "Better Bones" fitness center. Good luck to you!

I posted this link a few days ago, some good stuff here.
http://www.sciatica.org/yoga/12poses.html
Be sure to do only the exercises for those with osteoporosis.

Hello prizm2000, just a suggestion that while you wait to find the proper exercises, water aerobics are the very best 2nd helper! And if you can and/or are permitted by your doctor, seek the more energetic water aerobics. Good luck to you!

TO arrowsp, thanks so much for the link to the yoga exercises which link from Dr. Fisher's I used to have but lost. Even though I find yoga in general too difficult for me (while I'm very energetic in other exercises) I still like to have the link and try it from time to time... lol! Thanks again. Leidi

I strongly recommend the Skeletal Fitness DVD available for purchase on the NOF website or Amazon. I have "unusually severe"
Osteoporosis and have done this video workout 2-3 times a week for over a year. It's a good safe overall workout, and
leaves me feeling good following the last exercise which focuses on stretching.

tai-shi is a googg exercise - 3 times a wek - mainly for persons around 60 years old. Anyway, ask a good instructor before starting.

Same as above. And good luck !

I take Tai Chi for breathing, muscle strengthening and balancing. I also take a Healthy Bones Class, aquaexercise, and another class that also includes weight bearing, resistance and balance. When I cannot get to the classes, I try to do the exercises at home. It was suggested that I allow myself a day of rest in between the resistance and weight bearing exercising. I also try to get in some walking 3 days a week wearing a weighted fanny pack. The cold weather has reduced my walks so I am walking around and going up and down the steps in the house!
I am now searching for a good physical therapist who can give me more strategic help.
This has become my full time job!
Thank you all,
Winespritzer

Thanks for all the great info!! Will research these!

Water aerobics could be good cardio and is easy on the joints, but it will do nothing for your bone density. You need weight bearing exercise to stimulate bone growth. Bike riding is also not helpful for that reason. Just walking or standing up instead of sitting helps.
Walk farther in the parking lot, don't drive between stores at the mall, etc.

I have Sherri Betz's DVD which is Pilates just for people with osteoporosis and the same skeletal fitness DVD mentioned above. Also go to Curves.

Thanks for all the great input!!!

I do the exercises in the book Strong Women, Strong Bones by Miriam E. Nelson every other day and walk 40 minutes the other days. I started with 5-lb. weights, but am up to 8-lb. weights. I do the exercises as slowly as I can, and I do more reps than prescribed if my muscles haven't reached maximum fatigue. I'm still a little achy when it comes time to do the exercises again two days later.

Tai-shi-shuan and/or stretching are very good exercises. It is important to ask an instructor before starting,

Hello prizm200
I've started using a new dvd that I will share more with the community in the next few weeks, but thought you might like the information now.
"Pilates for Buff Bones" with Rebekah Rotstein. Rebekah is a certified Pilates instuctor and is a member of the osteoporosis community. Rebekah has osteoporosis. One of my fitness instructors met Rebekah while on a trip to NY and came back with very good reviews of her class and instruction for safer, effective osteoporosis exercise.
Since this is new dvd, the libraries probably won't have yet, but you may want to request that the library purchase the dvd.
As I continue use of the dvd, I will be sharing my experiences with the community. A plus using the dvd is that any questions can be sent through community message to Rebekah.
Hope this helps.
Sandi

I want to take a belly dance class. My L-1 is at osteoporosis level (T-2.6) and I have a bit of scoliosis. Any opinions on this?

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support NOF

Help the National Osteoporosis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Osteoporosis Foundation

Learn more about osteoporosis awareness and prevention

Discussion topics

Links and resources from NOF

Community leaders

Disclaimer

The National Osteoporosis Foundation would like to remind visitors and community members that the views and opinions expressed on this site are not necessarily those of NOF. Please consult your personal healthcare provider regarding any medical information that is shared on this site.