osteoporosis

I am reading the pros and cons of taking a calcium suppliment and eating dairy products. What is the truth and what is myth? Also, what is the safest treatment for .3 osteoporosis

13 replies. Join the discussion

A calcium supplement by itself will probably do nothing for osteoporosis. There are many women here whose doctors told them to take calcium and Vitamin D 5 or 10 years ago, and who now have severe osteoporosis and are wondering why.

There are at least 7 minerals and 5 vitamins needed for strong bones. You can learn about them in Lara Pizzorno's excellent and inexpensive book "Your Bones."

Many people on this site have benefited from taking strontium citrate, in addition to calcium and the other nutrients. You can read their sucess stories here: http://www.inspire.com/groups/national-osteoporosis-foundation/discussion/s till-more-sucess-stories/

Thank you for your help, I am a believer in vitamin suppliments and will take your advise. Going to learn as much as possible so anything you can recommend, I am anxious to hear. Thanks again, Georgia

The importance of Vitamin K2 can't be overemphasized, and few doctors know anything about it. Another good book is "Vitamin K2 and the Calcium Paradox," which was published this year.

Here are a couple of articles about K2: http://www.lmreview.com/articles/view/Vitamin-K2-Essential-for-Prevention-o f-Age-Associated-Chronic-Disease/

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2011/03/26/the-delicate- dance-between-vitamins-d-and-k.aspx

Is there a significant difference in the Strontium Citrate sites where it can be ordered. The prices vary a little it seems so cheap, not complaining but I don't want to order something that is not the best I can get. Thanks for the answers Georgia

I have been buying products from Swanson for a long time. They have worked for me, which is the best recommendation there is. Swanson is one of the few companies licensed by Albion to sell its chelated minerals under their own (Swanson's) name http://albionminerals.com/ Strontium citrate is not one of the minerals Albion makes, but the fact that they approve Swanson has a lot of value IMO. Swanson also has a no-questions-asked return policy. You can return anything and they will pay the postage.

In addition to the Swanson strontium citrate, I use 3 NOW products: Full Spectrum Minerals CAPS (not tablets!), Buffered Vitamin C-1000 (calcium ascorbate) and Vitamin B50. I buy those from Swanson also. And I use Swanson Vitamin D 2000 iu.

NOW Full Spectrum Minerals CAPS contain ALL the minerals needed for strong bones. The calcium is in the form of hydroxyapatite, which is one of the most absorbable forms and is recommended for those whose bone loss is caused by steroids.

There are many companies selling "bone" products that charge much more than the products are worth. Many of these products do NOT contain all the needed minerals and DO contain too much calcium. Or they contain Vitamin K1 instead of K2. Or they make a big deal about being RAW, which is meaningless, IMO. It's just the latest health food buzz word.

Everyone has to make SOME money from their business. We can't expect supplement manufacturers to give their products away. But as we know from other products, like clothes and cars, there are cars that do the job and there are others that cost 10 times as much and don't get you there any better than cheaper ones. Some retailers are always angling for the high-priced market. In the old days General Motors had cars in 5 market positions. If someone drove a Chevy, you knew he wasn't a high roller--but if he drove a Caddy, well, maybe he was. . . . If I buy a purse for $5 on Ebay, it still holds my stuff just fine. But if I carry a Gucci, it SAYS something about me (at least in some circles). Convincing people to buy the COSTLIER product increases the PROFIT MARGIN.

Many retailers try to carry over this kind of thinking to health-related products. People with plenty of money will pay more for the same substance believing that "you get what you pay for," just like people with money will buy a Lexus instead of a Camry.

Most of the companies selling the products under discussion get their ingredients, or sometimes the whole pill, from a wholesaler, in which case they're doing ONLY marketing. To me, it makes sense to buy from a company that actually manufactures the product. That eliminates a whole layer of middlemen. In the case of NOW Foods, I've never actually seen their products promoted anywhere. They do get a lot of shelf space in stores, however.

The fact that a company has a fancy marketing campaign would make me LESS likely to buy their product, because I want to pay for the product, not the advertising.

I take supplements for my skin and supplements for my brain, in addition to those for my bones. I take additional supplements for lupus. So I do my best to keep the cost of each one down, as long as I'm confident that the product is a good one. Torn2Tears has found a site where you can buy supplements in powdered form by the kilo, if you want to fill your own capsules. I haven't done that yet, but I might do it later.

I think it's a waste of time to be constantly trying to find the "best" calcium. The COMB study http://www.hindawi.com/journals/jeph/2012/354151/ didn't even USE calcium, and got good results. The most important task is to get all the needed nutrients and use them consistently, along with whatever exercise can be managed safely. Women in the United States consume more calcium than women in any other country AND have the highest rate of osteoporosis. If calcium were the answer, that wouldn't be the case.

It's true that I started with osteopenia, not osteoporosis. But Charella and her 95-year-old Mom started with osteoporosis.

That is a wealth of information, thank you so much. You roused my curosity about what you take for your skin??? I would love to know that, since my thyroid was removed, I am finding that my skin is looking more like my Mom's at 96 - well not quite that bad but getting there. How on earth did I get my Mom's arms. I have always worked out but somehow they found their way to my upper arms. Now I am nervous about some of the things I was doing for exercise until I feel a little more aware of what is safe. Thanks again and please share your skin secrets. Georgia

I read Dr. Perricone's book a long time ago, and he recommended quite a few things: ascorbyl palmitate (fat-soluble Vitamin C), alpha-lipoic acid (now there's an r-lipoic acid, which I haven't investigated) DMAE (both topical and supplemental; I only used the supplement briefly; it had some negative effects--can't remember the details.) I used the topical DMAE for a while, and it definitely worked, but then I became allergic to all my face creams when I got lupus, and had to stop everything, so now I only use one hypo-allergenic moisturizer. Can't remember all Dr. P's recommendations, but I'm sure you can find his book. By now it's probably 10 cents on Amazon! He may also have a website. I also take NAC, can't remember if that's on Dr. P.'s list or not. I never bought anything from him. I found the substances elsewhere.

The best thing I've ever found for my skin, however, is Vitamin K2 as MK4. It has gone a long way to healing up the rough knuckles I've had for many years. My hair seems thicker, too. But the best thing is that it clears my right-sided sinus congestion--though just for 8-9 hours. Then I have to take it again. It worked with a low dose, 1300 mcg. It worked with 5 mg., and now I'm trying an experiment with 15 mg 2-3 x a day. I can tell it lasts about an hour longer, and at first I thought my knuckles were going to heal completely, but yesterday I noticed two were cracking again. It may be because my friend's dog licks my hands constantly when I go there. I'm going to put a stop to that. If it doesn't heal my knuckles, I see no reason to use more than maybe 2 mg, which will make it much less expensive. I will divide the 15 mg capsule into 7 piles and take each pile in a spoonful of coconut oil.

The studies done on MK4 for osteoporosis used 15 mg 3x a day and it reduced fracture risk 60-90%, though it did not increase bone density. Apparently it improves bone collagen, which provides tensile strength.

The book "Vitamin K2 and the Calcium Paradox" is worth buying, IMO.

P.S. The book I read by Dr. P. was "The Wrinkle Cure." I know he has written others, but I didn't read those.

Again, thank you for the information, I am going to look for his book. Georgia

Here's a good article on the "calcium myth": http://www.womentowomen.com/bonehealth/calciummyth.aspx

hi, i just came upon this in utube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nsCBEUzkOc

Nutrition and Bone Health (Part 1) - Calcium & Vitamin D

Lilypads, when animal (your friend's dog) loves you, it tells much more about you than silly Gucci bag.

Ha ha ha! I've had my current bag for about 5 years. It cost $2 at Big Lots. By the way, I saw "The Wrinkle Cure" on Amazon for 1 cent.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support NOF

Help the National Osteoporosis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Osteoporosis Foundation

Learn more about osteoporosis awareness and prevention

Discussion topics

Links and resources from NOF

Community leaders

Disclaimer

The National Osteoporosis Foundation would like to remind visitors and community members that the views and opinions expressed on this site are not necessarily those of NOF. Please consult your personal healthcare provider regarding any medical information that is shared on this site.