Osteopenia

I have osteopenia which has stayed stable for the last 4 yrs. My last 2 density tests were in 2006 and this year, Sept 2009. My doctor thought that I should get Reclast. There are a lot of side effects and at the age of 51, I don't relish adding more aches and pains. I've heard some war stories that cause me to rethink having the infusion. I work as an CMA at a Urology practice and we give Zometa infusions which is just another form of zoledronic acid just a lesser dosage. It's given once a year instead of the higher dose of Reclast given q 2 yrs. My PC office said they were not the same which also concerns me because I know they are. Is there any other way to keep my bone density stable? Should I do more than what I am doing now by diet? Osteoporosis runs rampant in my family so if I need to do something now that will positively affect me later, then I am all for it. But if what I'm doing is fine then I just want to stay my course. Would love any input, advise, support I can get.

4 replies. Join the discussion

Hello littlenana,

I'm new to this site, so I hope others chime in here. My impression from what I've read is that you have many, many options. If I were in your place, I'd resist Reclast, too. Strontium citrate supplements and bone-building exercises seem a better way to go at this point. You don't even have osteoporosis yet!

Another site that I've found useful in my research is this one:
http://www.osteopenia3.com/index.html

Almost everything I've read there is validated by people's experiences here in this discussion group.

Good luck!

Mary

littlenana, why does your doctor suggest a med if you have maintained over the years and are osteopenia? Please have Vitamin D test. Also, please Search my discussion post: Ask the Professionals and search the community members discussion posts for lifestyle changes, exercise for bone loss; etc. which may help you with your decision.

Hello, I had Aclasta [reclast] last March- no side effects whatsoever! Research has been good for it. I am 55 and bones sre breaking! I'll do anything to help. I've also read some bone buiding drugs end up causing brittle bones. so Aclasta for me.

Search the site. Reclast is extreme for osteopenia, in my opinion. Listen to sdivas here and search through the site for plenty of discussion on this issue.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support NOF

Help the National Osteoporosis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Osteoporosis Foundation

Learn more about osteoporosis awareness and prevention

Discussion topics

Links and resources from NOF

Community leaders

Disclaimer

The National Osteoporosis Foundation would like to remind visitors and community members that the views and opinions expressed on this site are not necessarily those of NOF. Please consult your personal healthcare provider regarding any medical information that is shared on this site.