New member looking for support & advice

Hello to all,

I just this week got the results of my last BMD test which indicated my osteopenia is worsening..my most recent Z score was 2.4, which means I am 1/10th of a point away from a diagnosis of osteoporosis. I'm absolutely terrified and am looking to find out more about my options. I am only 46 years old, and have always been healthy and active. I exercise regularly, I eat a healthy diet, I only have 1-2 cups of coffee a day, I have a few glasses of wine a week, I don't smoke, I don't take any regular medications like steroids or beta blockers...I know what I'm supposed to do and I've been doing it! But over the last three years, since my first test, my scores have worsened. I've been trying to take my calcium supplement more regularly (I'm an awful pill taker!) over the past year, since my last BMD. My mother had really bad osteo, but she also had a hysterectomy in her 40's without any HRT, which is what I always had assumed was the main cause of her condition. Now I'm not sure. My doc just had my Vit D levels checked and I'm waiting on the results. I thought I wanted to just begin biophosphonate treatment because of it's effectiveness, but after recently reading up on the side effects I'm having serious second doubts. What options are there? I see a chiropractor who uses a whole food supplement line called Standard Process, and I am sure he will have a recommendation for me...I haven't spoken with him yet, but I'm not always sure I fully trust his plans.

Any help any of you can give me would be truly appreciated. I am very concerned about my future and I will do what I can to help myself be healthier! Thanks for your support.

Beth

9 replies. Join the discussion

Hi Beth,

I would suggest you first read everything posted on this site. There is a lot of good information on here. I have been diagnosed for 8 yrs now. I took all the over the counter meds, but like you never remebered half the time. Mine is very bad now and they want to do this reclast infusion, but I am scared of it. It is so new and I am not sure they know the side effects of it yet. I woudl say from what I read eating lots of calcium rich foods. Yogurt , spinich I have heard is good. Take Vitamin D and calcium for sure. Not one of my Dr's in 8 yrs told me to do that. Good Luck with your decisions. Remeber there are a lot of good people on this site to help you with your questions and answers.

I'm using the Standard Process protocal - lots of supplements. I' just started a week ago, so I'll let you know how it goes. I'm an active triathlete - not a casual exerciser - I compete regularly and train up to 20 hours a week. I'm sure my problem stems from not eating enough when I was young and not starting my period until I was 22. I plan on testing my bone resorption rate after 6 weeks on the program.

I also compete in triathlons and workout up to 15 hours a week. I have 4 weeks to go on the 50,000 iu of Vit. D and then back to the dr. to see what is next. He was trying to get me to take the forteo but I will not do that. I am looking into trying Strontium Citrate. I could not believe that all that I do, I would have osteo. I had skin cancer in 2003 and really try to make sure I have sunscreen on at all times. Now I have read that we must get at least 15 mins. of sun a day without suncreen on to help the Vit. D to be absorbed by our body. Vit. D plays a very important part in process. I read everything I can and hope and pray that someday we will have something that works and does not hurt our bodies at the same time.

Hi Julie
Can you share with me what you are taking? I haven't even told my chiropractor yet about this diagnosis- he has me taking supplements because he thinks there's something going on with my thyroid. Which, based on what I've been reading, could have an effect on my bone density.
Thanks,
Beth

Hi, I too have ostepenia that start in my forties. I got worse two years ago. My Spine a -1.8 and neck a -2.4 .
My doctor of course suggested meds. I decided then to rev up my exercie to 45 to an hour of vigourous execise, running one 12 minute mile and lots of weight bearing exercise , three to four days a week. I eat food with high calcium three to four times a day and drink a glass of soy milk before bed, I've improved my routine to include Vitamin D and magnesium tablets. When I went back my scores have improved a little to -1.6 and- 2.3. I also just completed menopause which I believe should have made my scores go lower but since I improved, a bit I am going to continue this regime. A nice person on this site reminded me it is my body....I do what I want to. By the way I am 52 now. Good luck

Biost - 6/day
Cal-Ma Plus - 3/day
Calcium Lactate- 6/day
Chlorophyll Perles - 2/day
Calcifood Wafers - 6/day
Raw Flax Oil - 1 tablespoon per day

Since Feb I've been making smoothies with SP Complete and taking Cataplex G and MinChex - which got rid of my night sweats.

My journey started because I was racing poorly and went to a friend who is an endocrinologist in Dec - he found I was Vitamin D deficient and very low in progesterone. That has now been corrected and I just raced a half ironman and had the best race ever - beat several that I have never beaten before and won my age group by 21 minutes.

This is an experiment - my friend wants me to use Forteo, but I'd like to try this first.

Don't be afraid, Beth. Medical science is your friend. I was diagnosed with osteoporosis at age 61. My density was -4.7. Thats below the chart. It ends at -4.5. I've been taking Fosamax for 7 years now. My density is up to -3.5, still in the red but some improvement anyway. We're all different, but I have not experienced any side effects from the Fosamax. My lifestyle hasn't change much because of osteoporosis. I am very careful not to fall again. I'm 68 now. I have a large garden so do a lot of rototilling. I also cut down trees and cut them up for firewood. I use a lawnmower, brush cutter, and snow thrower. I'm fine as long as I don't fall down again.

Thanks everyone for the responses. I found out my Vit D levels are on the low side (29.2) so my MD is having me increase my intake to 1000 iu (?). I am also getting an appointment with an endocrinologist to get a second opinion about treatment options. I also plan to start the Strontium supplements as well. Where can I buy those? What about the calcium and Vit D supplements quality of production...is generic store brand as good as the "whole food" or organic approach which tout more "bioavailability". It's all so confusing, the more I read, the more overwhelmed I become!

Beth,
I'm glad you will be going to an endocrinologist. They are the ones who treat osteoporosis.
I take 2500 IU of Vit. D a day. Sometimes he puts me on 50000 IU a day.
Osteporosis can be caused or worsened by a malfunctioning thyroid as you previously mentioned. An endocrinologist will check a lot of blood ingredients, but from my experience Calcium, Vit. D, and the thryroid ones are the ones they talk about most (to me anyway).
Let us know how the endo appointment goes.
Ron

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support NOF

Help the National Osteoporosis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Osteoporosis Foundation

Learn more about osteoporosis awareness and prevention

Discussion topics

Links and resources from NOF

Community leaders

Disclaimer

The National Osteoporosis Foundation would like to remind visitors and community members that the views and opinions expressed on this site are not necessarily those of NOF. Please consult your personal healthcare provider regarding any medical information that is shared on this site.