"YOUR BONES" by LARA PIZZORNO and DR. JONATHAN V. WRIGHT

UPDATE -THE AUTHOR LARA PIZZORNO POSTED COMMENTS HERE ON THIS DISCUSSION. (10-31)

Just checked out a new book "Your Bones" by Lara Pizzorno and Jonathan V. Wright, just recently published. It has a lot of info that would surely be beneficial to anyone with osteoporosis.

Edited November 2, 2011 at 10:36 pm

155 replies. Join the discussion

I so appreciate that you posted about this new book. I'm looking for interesting information and anything to stay away from prescription bone building drugs.

I just started therapy for my legs, where I have so much pain from Reclast. I was fine before and went to the gym 2 to 3 times a week always walking 30 min on the treadmill. Can't do that now, so my doctor sent me for physical therapy. When I felled out the forms there, I put the cause as Reclast. The guy I have helping me I really like. He said he was going to do a lot of research on Reclast, and I feel sure he will. He was very interested in the side affects. Hopefully he will learn enough that he will pass this info on to people of importance, so the teachers can inform other physical therapists what this is all about. Thanks for the info on the book.

Thanks ladies for the support on the book. I finished it, and thought it was really good. We can't all agree on everything, but is covers pretty much everything I spent hours reading about here. Even the more experienced ones on this web site, might pick up a gem or two that could help.

Roseitazoriginal, This book will give you a huge jump start, keep checking in on this site, there is new info all the time.

LadyLuckB, I have no personal experience with Reclast, but it is well covered here under several different posts. Just type in Reclast and you will have loads of information. My doctor prescribed that for me, that's why I am hear trying to learn.

May you both get quickly caught up on your options, and prosper from informed decisions.

Thanks 36789!
This book sounds really good.

Thanks...Just took a look at the book on Amazon, and read the reviews.
Just by reading reviews, and looking inside the book, it looks good and
informative, also it seems to be up to date, with what is going on with
the Osteo Drugs etc..

@36879
I'm with you - Wish there was a list of "Integrative Doctors, physical therapists and trainers who are knowledgeable about osteoporosis" Unfortunately, it's trial and error.

In a nutshell what does Lara the author say about taking Strontium Citrate?

Remember to check your library. Most libraries will request the book if book is at another library within the area.

Nutshell, she is good with taking it. Make that plain USA strontium not the Strontium Renelate. The book is pretty specific, recommends a calcium, types of magnesium, big push on correct eating, and the doeseages that should be taken for both types of Vitamin K. exercise, yada, yada...... There are over 256 articles/studies in the notes, so it seems well researched, and her husband is a very renowned ND. It's paperback very reasonable.

Hi 36879,

I agree. This is a good book. I really like the 63 pages which specify the 256 references. That allows us to easily search for more details for the statements Lara made. As for Vitamin K (including the K2 Mk4 & Mk7), Lara had over 12 pages on the subject.

It's also very easy and enjoyable to read ;-)

Thanks,
Sylvia * * * * *

Sounds like a good book - just ordered it on Amazon. Thanks for the recommendation.

Thanks for info about the book. I agree with you and petplant that it is really difficult to find anywhere where doctors, endocrinologists and physical therapists work together to treat the whole patient. Physical therapists seem to know exercises to prevent osteoporosis but when faced with patients with very fragile spines and fractures( my situation) they don't seem to be very sure what to do.

Hi okiept,

If you are in this serious condition, first address any medical conditions you have. As soon as possible I would start high Vitamin D3 doses, calcium and several minerals, and 1 mg to 5 mg doses of the MK-4 variety of Vitamin K2 two or three times a day. The Vitamin K2 is especially important because it has had good effects in research for preventing bone loss in patients that have forced bed rest or high levels of cortisone. This condition fits your situation of difficulty exercising.

The large dose of MK-4 normally given in research or treatment for bone loss and heart disease is 15 mg taken three times daily with a meal having some good fats like walnuts or peanuts in it. Its safe to take this much if you can afford it. Avoid taking Vitamin K2 with commercial fiber supplements which tend to absorb fat and carry it out of the body.

You may also benefit from connective tissue boosting supplements by taking 2 grams Vitamin C, 2 grams MSM, and 4 grams of Arginine daily in divided doses. Bone is 10% connective tissue and the amiono acid Arginine has shown good positive effects in building bone strength. These are available at your health food store but you will need to buy the MK-4 form of Vitamin K2 by mail order.
Avoid taking more than 100 mcg of the MK-7 form of vitamin K2 which is known to have stimulative properties in larger doses. Most Vitamin K2 in stores is of the MK-7 variety, so read the bottle carefully for the MK-4 form.
Dave

I keep a copy of "Your Bones" by Lara Pizzorno on my desk beside my computer. The cited references are a gold mine rarely found in books about bone health.

I have followed the research and written about treating and reversing Osteoporosis since 2006. "Your Bones" is one of the best references I've found.

I wrote one of the reviews posted on Amazon.com.

Thanks everyone for the good questions and answers.

SaraD, Thank you so much for posting. Since I am relatively new to this, it is a little intimidating to post a recommendation for others. I did think this book was good, but to have someone as experienced as you give it a high rating will encourage many more to check it out.. Thank you.

I just placed an order for the book and also for Vita K2 from Amazon.com. I want to read as much as I can on osteo and this book sounds like it has a lot of good info. I do not plan on taking any of the osteo drugs....I want all the info I can get and plan my own treatment....thanks for your recommendation

Thank you for info about this book - I have just ordered it from Amazon in the UK. In the UK the majority of GPs have not grasped the value of Vit D or Vit K so I buy these supplements from iherb in the US. My UK GP is frustrated that the NHS is so keen on 'pharmaceutical solutions' and ignores diet/exercise and supplements.

So thrilled to have this book to read!

Thanks

Tupelo-Honey and Halfull, Thanks for checking in, hope the book helps you as much as it has me. I feel much more confident in my choices after reading it. You can catch some interviews with Lara Pizzorno discussing the book, the one with Dr. Ron Hoffman is one of the better ones. The date of the podcast was middle of April.

Somewhere I came across an article by Dr. Scott Mumby about how Strontium Citrate in small doses was the best for Osteo.
I think I will try and find it on the web search.

GGma - That is totally wierd, as I posted that article for a subject on this site. Was 10-20 mg. strontium he recommended, and NOBODY agreed with that. That was when I was bouncing all over reading everything available. They are sites that totally recommend against taking it at all, "Save Your Bones" is one. Totally a personal decision, good luck.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support NOF

Help the National Osteoporosis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Osteoporosis Foundation

Learn more about osteoporosis awareness and prevention

Discussion topics

Links and resources from NOF

Community leaders

Disclaimer

The National Osteoporosis Foundation would like to remind visitors and community members that the views and opinions expressed on this site are not necessarily those of NOF. Please consult your personal healthcare provider regarding any medical information that is shared on this site.