Magnesium GI Problems

I have been taking magnesium glycinate to aid calcium absorption since my osteo diagnosis. I am having some gi problems with it...horrible flatulence and diarrhea. If I plan to go on overnight visits with family or travel I must stop taking the magnesium or people seriously cannot stand being around me. It's pretty awful. Husband suggested maybe bathing in epsom salts and I am wondering if that would help rather than taking the magnesium orally? I do know of one lady whose dr has her do magnesium injections...wondering if this is common. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks, all!
Sandi

16 replies. Join the discussion

Hi foo foo 1946,
My pharmacist/naturopath has compounded for me Magnesium Taurinate 600mg 2 capsules at bedtime and 1 capsule in the early morning along with Strontium citrate 227 to be taken on an empty stomach. Magnesium Taurinate is easier on the intestines than Mg. citrate.
Blessings
Scriptures

foofoo,

Some forms of Mg have much less of a laxative effect than others. I would recommend Doctor's Best High Absorption 100% Chelated Magnesium. But even if you do switch to this or to Scriptures' magnesium taurinate its important to start with a low dose and gradually increase the dose as your intestines get accustomed to the magnesium. 600 mg of elemental magnesium is not a starters dose, but rather a goal you hopefully can reach after several months. I'm currently taking 700 mg of the Doctor's Best product.

Thank you, both, Scriptures and Pagebooks. I am printing out your replies and will start slower on the magnesium. I did try the taurinate and it was giving me horrible gas also. So start out slower and work my way up. That sounds doable...thank you.

Pagebooks, I have a question. What dosage do you suggest I start with and how much and often to increase dosages. I really appreciate your advice...so does my family (ggg)

SAndi

Hi Sandi,

Its certainly the case that supplementing with magnesium will cause the kind of symptoms you've mentioned, but is your digestion "problem free" when you're not taking the magnesium? If its not you might consider taking a probiotic before starting with magnesium and getting your GI track in good shape.
If you're using the Doctor's Best Magnesium each pill has 100 mg of elemental magnesium. Try starting with one pill with breakfast and one pill with your evening meal. If you're OK with that increase with half a pill after two weeks and progress from there.
By the way there is an entirely different way to supplement with magnesium which by passes the GI track altogether. Magnesium oil is a saturated solution of magnesium chloride which you apply to your skin,
When you put it on it feels oily but its not. No odor, no stain, but even after its been absorbed you still feel a tad sticky...sort of the way you feel after swimming in the ocean. I use it every day, applying it quite liberally. I have heard some complain about mild skin irritation so if you try it start slowly.
Check out this link

http://ezinearticles.com/?Whats-All-the-Buzz-About-Magnesium-Oil?&id=171883 8

Good luck Maggie

Thanks, Maggie. I am taking probiotics and I didn't have the symptoms before the magnesium. Thank you for the link and the suggestions on dosage. This is extemely helpful and I am going to follow up on this.

Sandi

Sandi,
I didn't read you initial post very carefully and I just noticed that the product you have been taking is magnesium glycinate. Does this product mention chelation? The Doctor's Best Magnesium is also the glycinate form, so I'm wondering if there is any difference.
Some people seem particularly vulnerable to GI track problems vis a vis magnesium and you may be one of them. If that's the case I'd definitely consider the magnesium oil.

Maggie

Hi Maggie,

No, it doesn't mention chelation. Do you think I should just use the oil? Have to go read the site you sent me to get clear dosage instructions. I have absorption problems as I had weight loss surgery...duodenal switch...and much of my small intestine is side tracked and out of commission. Perhaps the oil would be better for me anyway?

Sandi

Hi Sandi,

Magnesium is such an important nutrient both in regard to osteoporosis and many other health issues. I'd try the Doctor's Best (I think the chelation is the reason its better tolerated) even if you can only tolerate 200 mg and also use the magnesium oil.

Maggie

I think you are right, Maggie. At this point I have cut my 400 mg tabs in half and am taking one half twice a day with my calcium. So far I think I am tolerating the lower dosage better. We will see as the day/evening wears on. I have quite a bit of this to use and when this is done I will switch to the Doctor's Best. I am also going to look into the oil and if you can overdo magnesium. With my malabsorption issues I don't think I will be over doing and I do get labs done quite often.

Again, I really thank you very much for the time you have spent helping me out. Hope you have a great holiday weekend : )))

Sandi

If you want to try the transdermal route Swansons magnesium oil is not very expensive so worth a try.

I agree with pagebooks it's best if you work up to higher intakes of magnesium and to split the dose by taking some with each meal.

Magnesium malate Code WAB666 $5 introductory discount is also a well absorbed form that is kind to the stomach

Excessive magnesium intake usually occurs from abuse of magnesium-containing laxatives. The amount of magnesium in nutritional supplements is unlikely to cause problems. People with kidney failure should consult their doctor before using magnesium supplements.

Magnesium intake calculator Will help you work out how much magnesium you get from food. (don't forget their MAY also be some in your water.

recipe for magnesium bicarbonate water This is easy to do and will quickly change the ph balance of your urine if it's too acid so you are leaching calcium.

Ted,

Thank you for the links and all the useful information. This is very much appreciated.

The lower doses of magnesium are much more manageable.

Sandi

Hi All,
I am SO happy we are having this little chat! My naturopath said to me when I reported the similar GI distress..."why do you think Milk of Magnesia was invented?" Sometimes I have to take a break from the magnesium even the chelated forms! So how does one know how much mag.oil might equal a dosage of capsule form of magnesium? It sounds as though I'd better switch as well. Thanks so much!

Really glad this is benefiting more than myself : ) I saw one endo that told me not to even take magnesium because it would just cause diarrhea. That didn't sound like very sound advice to me so I started reading as soon as it was confirmed I had osteo. So glad I found this forum. It really is a blessing!

@ So how does one know how much mag.oil might equal a dosage of capsule form of magnesium?
I really don't know because I'm not convinced that testing serum magnesium tells us anything very useful except by the time it does show you to be magnesium deficient you have depleted your body's store of magnesium. Most of your magnesium should be in your bones not circulating.
That is why I do all forms of magnesium repletion.
Not only do I drink magnesium rich water I also take an effective amount of supplement and put magnesium chloride in my bathwater.
If I got to the point I was having diarrhoea or other signs of magnesium excess I would off course back off but I'm no where near in total the amount Dr Davis recommends so I'm not at all worried.
3) Magnesium--I generally advise supplementation with the well-absorbed forms, magnesium glycinate (400 mg twice per day) or magnesium malate (1200 mg twice per day). Because they are well-absorbed, they are least likely to lead to diarrhea (as magnesium oxide commonly does).

Bear in mind Krispin's formula for magnesium sufficiency is 5 to 10 milligrams per day per kilo of ideal body weight or 2.5 to 4.5 milligrams per day per pound of ideal body weight.

Ted,

You are absolutely right about the serum magnesium test being of no value in judging how well your body is supplied with magnesium. There are several intra cellular mineral tests. The best one called the EXA Test measues the intracellualr levels of magnesium, potassium, phosphorous, sodium and chloride in cells scraped from inside your mouth. For more information about this test see
http://www.exatest.com/

Maggie

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support NOF

Help the National Osteoporosis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Osteoporosis Foundation

Learn more about osteoporosis awareness and prevention

Discussion topics

Links and resources from NOF

Community leaders

Disclaimer

The National Osteoporosis Foundation would like to remind visitors and community members that the views and opinions expressed on this site are not necessarily those of NOF. Please consult your personal healthcare provider regarding any medical information that is shared on this site.