Is Strontium safe?

Hi all,

Went to a lecture on Osteo last week and am a little worried. The Dr. seemed open minded in that other factors could help osteo but said he would treat anything over -2.0 aggressively with drugs especially in a younger person because 25% of the people who break their hips die. He even spelled out 'd...e...a..d' as if it wasn't stressed enough.

I stopped after the lecture to get his input on Strontium and he said it's a heavy metal like lead and I suppose if you took lead it would strengthen your bones too.

Now, I'm a little hesitant to take it although I knew it was a heavy metal and that Europe is using it as a first line therapy for osteo there.

A seed of doubt about not taking the meds and taking strontium has been planted...

8 replies. Join the discussion

You need to do your homework and not let doctors use scare tactics to move you into using drugs. What are the disclaimer on the drugs they are suggesting? That will tell you more then what the dr will tell you.

Strontium is in toothpaste - so are you cleaning your teeth with lead? I think not.

Strontium is also being used in Europe with good sucess but strontium ralate and strontium citrate, which you would buy here is different.

Here's some information to look at :

http://www.aor.ca/html/products.php?id=97

there are other sites as well and I am sure other members will have a comment to say.

A lot of people on this site use strontium but I am probably in a minority because I have doubts about the high doses now being taken (680 mg). Tiny amounts you find in toothpaste OK. I considered strontium but did some reading first. Strontium is associated with defects in bone mineralization. Excessive intake can actually weaken bone by replacing too much of the bones calcium with strontium. Make sure you take adequate calcium then when taking strontium. Can cause nausea, diarrhea, increased annual incidence of VTE of 0.7% and potential vascular and neurological side-effects - blood clots, seizures, memory loss and consciousness. "Strontium Ranelate - Little known of long term effects though caused bone defects in animals. (Townsend & Letts Docs, 2005; 261:67)." Limitations include interpreting the change in BMD due to unique aspects of strontium in bone. A % molar fraction of strontium causes 10% overestimation of BMD. Not everyone appears to make allowance for this overestimation.

You should do you own reading and make your decision based on that. Here in the UK bisphosphonates are prescribed first and possibly strontium only if you particularly ask. I asked my consultant about whether to take strontium possibly in the future and he told me that there had been deaths due to hypersensitivity syndrome in some people. At that time I hadn't heard of that particular side-effect but now would only take it as a last resort and then probably in much smaller amounts than the prescribed 680 mg.

Thanks for the input! I have done some research but can see I need to do some more. Unfortunately it is difficult for me since I have a 5yr old at home who wants my attention when we are home.

I would like my Dr's to lead on this, as they are trained and paid to look out for our best interests, but according to my internist bisphosphonates are the only way to go. I find the side effects and half life time scary especially since I'm an allergic type. I wonder what the half life of strontium is...

Bisphosphonates if I can recall stay in your system for about 10 years whereas strontium only 10 weeks...................

I have Strontium on it's way. Will let you know how I do with it. Will start off with just half the doses incase there are any side effects.

seems i read a post recently...here or save our bones..that strontium use may have a side effect of alopeicia - hair loss? Anyone remember that???

Hi,
I have been on Strontium citrate now for 4 months with no apparent side effects. After having been on fosamex for 1 year i developed heart palpitations and began to look for the root cause.
After reading the following link I decided Strontium was right for me.

www.aor.ca then go to magazines, Vol.3 Issue 4 Bone Health The First Bone Builder

Hi,
I have been on Strontium citrate now for 4 months with no apparent side effects. After having been on fosamex for 1 year i developed heart palpitations and began to look for the root cause.
After reading the following link I decided Strontium was right for me.

www.aor.ca then go to magazines, Vol.3 Issue 4 Bone Health The First Bone Builder

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support NOF

Help the National Osteoporosis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Osteoporosis Foundation

Learn more about osteoporosis awareness and prevention

Discussion topics

Links and resources from NOF

Community leaders

Disclaimer

The National Osteoporosis Foundation would like to remind visitors and community members that the views and opinions expressed on this site are not necessarily those of NOF. Please consult your personal healthcare provider regarding any medical information that is shared on this site.