Is Decaf coffee okay?

I am a coffee freak. I have osteoporosis and dont want to give up my 40 year obsession with it. :( does anyone know if it is okay to drink decaf if you have osteoporosis?

23 replies. Join the discussion

My feeling is, I would stick with the "leaded" in moderation. There are so many benefits from coffee, and the list grows daily. As for decaf, I believe it has a small amount of caffeine, inspite of its name. What I do is mix decaf and regular, and it still tastes great.

Hi Safeyoga,

I found this on Google:
Find a substitute for drinking coffee. Both caffeinated and decaffeinated coffee deposit huge amounts of acid your blood, causing the body to rob your bones of calcium in order to neutralize the acid. In addition, caffeine puts a strain on the adrenal glands by causing a cortisol response–stress response– in the body. Instead of coffee, I enjoy a variety of herbal teas, often with tart cherry juice, lemon juice, or Beyond C powder for added flavor.

How much coffee are you drinking?
My Husband is a coffee addict..He has to drink coffee while he exercises for a hour every morning, and grinds
his own beans just the way he likes them etc..He can drink a couple of cups of coffee and go to sleep!
Are you as addicted as he is?

I also read that you can lessen the affect of coffee on your bones by using milk in it. I drink my decaf with plenty of milk and honey.

Studies on caffeine and calcium excretion suggest that the very small amount of calcium exretion in the typical cup of coffee which needs to be balanced by consumption is about the same as one ounce of skim milk. No need to give up coffee, just moderate it, or up your calcium supplement by 500 mg/pot of coffee if you prefer to drink it black.
Coffee consumption is unlikely the source of your osteoporosis if you have been eating a relatively balance diet. We alsways try to find something to blame for our experiences.

E.g.: Yesterday I woke up with a headache. I always wake up with headaches if I sleep in late because of caffeine withdrawal. Tonight I take my once weekly Fosamax. Tomorrow morning after I sleep in late, I will wake up with a headache. The difference is that tomorrow I will blame the headache on the Fosamax?

Like is too short to spend it worrying about finding a substitute for what makes you happy, as apparently coffee does (in moderation, like less than 10 cups a day). The stress of worrying about it and the chronic adreneline your body is exposed to because of such worry is far more destructive to bone than what little acid there is in coffee. Red wine is touted for its anti-oxidants, and is far more acidic that coffee. Why not switch? They won't mind you drinking wine at your desk at work will they? This is getting silly.

THe body will buffer excessive acidic foods with calcium from bone ONLY if you are calcium deficient in your diet. Bone is an emergency last resort. Sorry, I would post more now, but it's time for my morning cup of Joe.

Yes, you can make yourself sick worrying about everything that will make you sick. I used to drink a pot of coffee everyday. After being told that I had osteoporosis, and that caffeine was not good for my bones, I did switch to decaf. I had half a can of regular coffee, filled it up with decaf. When I was done with that, then I went to all decaf. I do feel better without the caffeine. I don't blame the coffee for my situation. But I wasn't having anything but coffee and 1 good meal a day. I still drink coffee everyday (more when it's cold out) but I have a better diet and use vitamins & supplements. I enjoy my coffee but do feel better not drinking caffeinated coffee.

Here's a suggestion. This is what I do. If I drank let's say 24 ounces of water, then I might follow it with a soft drink and lunch, then in the afternoon I try to at least drink 24 more ounces of water. i have two of the aluminum bottles that I fill up with water and take to work. This gives me an excuse to have to get up my desk and take a "nature break". If I've done something lets say that I don't want to do but know I have to, then once I've completed that task, I promise my self a reward fir cinoketubg tge tasj, That way I get the task done.

Hi Safeyoga,

In case you haven't read the following discussion, pls check it out ...

"Coffee is GOOD for you. Simplified and Condensed"… by PSput • December 28, 2011
http://www.inspire.com/PSput/journal/coffee-is-good-for-you-simplified-and- condensed/#replies

I also believe that drinking a couple of cups of coffee per day is good.

If you're concerned about caffeine, it's best to avoid Espresso, as it has over 50 mg of caffeine per oz. The regular coffee ranges from 13 to 18 mg per oz. I usually drink decaf, which has only 1 mg per oz. ;-)

Hope this helps,

> sylvia < < <

Caffiene content isn't just about caffeine content per oz, but also by the number of ounces. A 3 oz shot of expresso has 150 mg of caffeine. A double shot would be 300mg. An 20 oz Vendi at Fourbucks has 360 mg of caffeine (at 18mg/oz x 20 oz.).

Hi Dxaguru,

You are correct. We need to add up the total amount per day, since caffeine can be bad for us, if we exceed 300 mg per day (ref. the study at Creighton University's Bone Metabolism unit).

As you said, if we drink a double shot of espresso, that would be (50 mg/oz) ( 3 oz) (2) = 300 mg of caffeine. We would need to refrain from dinking any additional coffee after that.

However, there’s virtually no need to abstain from drinking Decaf. We can drink 15 cups of Starbuck’s Vendi per day (20 oz per cup) and still only get 300 mg of caffeine <= (1 mg/oz) (20oz)(15).

I am not recommending for anyone to drink 15 humongous cups (a total of 300 oz) of Decaf coffee per day. Perhaps it would be good to enjoy a couple of Grande (16 oz) => 1 mg/oz (16 oz) (2) = 32 mg of caffeine; and, apportion the remaining 268 mg of caffeine to some nice chocolates, a few cups of tea, etc.

> Sylvia < < <

Sylvia,

What's the point of spending $4 at Fourbucks for a Vendi of ....faux coffee? Isn't the point of drinking coffee for the caffeine? If I wanted to drink hot brown colored water, I would much prefer a nice cup of caffeine free herbal tea and honey that I brew myself, and save the money. Decaf coffee is like drinking near-bear, or watering down a good single malt scotch with ice. :-)

If you purchase a decaf life Folgers you get a good tasting coffee. With that brand or Yuban you get good taste. Similar thing applies to soft drinks. Som decaf varieties taste good others are not tolerable. Good decaf soft drinks are A&W Rootbeer, Canada Dry Gingerale, Diet Orange SunKist. -- diet ones are the ones I am talking about as well. Coca Cola is not a good decaf but Dr. Pepper decaf is!!!

I read somewhere that the recent study ( I think it was Sweden) coffee's benefit had to get into the brain via some caffeine. I think it was concerning AD.

Thanks Dogbone,

Good point! According to Journal of Alzheimer's Disease, vol. 25, July 2011: “Caffeine Synergizes with another Coffee Component to Increase Plasma GCSF: Linkage to Cognitive Benefits in Alzheimer’s Mice. Abstract: Retrospective and prospective epidemiologic studies suggest that enhanced coffee/caffeine intake during aging reduces risk of Alzheimer’s disease (AD). . . . Neither caffeine solution alone (which provided high plasma caffeine levels) or decaffeinated coffee provided this effect, indicating that caffeine synergized with some as yet unidentified component of coffee to selectively elevate these three plasma cytokines. . . . We conclude that coffee may be the best source of caffeine to protect against AD because of a component in coffee that synergizes with caffeine to enhance plasma GCSF levels, resulting in multiple therapeutic actions against AD."

Hi Daisy_Sunshine,

Thanks for the tips. I have heard that Folger makes a good coffee. I will get that next time, after I finish the Dunkin Donut bag and some coffee I received as gifts. Starbucks coffees are great but they taste a little burnt sometimes.

Hi Dxaguru,

I guess you're right that we need to get some caffeine (per the Journal of AD which Dogbone alerted us). I often mix regular with decaf.

btw, there are many really good tasting decaf coffees. A friend gave me some Kopi Luwak coffee beans recently. They are supposed to be decaf. The aroma is amazing. The flavor is unbelievably fabulous!! The Kopi Luwak is the best coffee I've ever tasted. After I finished a cup, I had to go back to the kitchen to take a whiff. I actually stayed there for half an hour to enjoy the scent ;-) Almost had to grind and brew another cup.
As for near-beer or watered down scotch, I don't know what they taste like, as I don't drink beer nor scotch. I do enjoy herbal tea and honey.

> Sylvia < < <

People who do not drink decaf all think it is just "hot brown colored water". I thought that too when I was addicted to caffeine. My husband only drinks coffee in the morning in the winter but is picky about how it taste. I switched to decaf in the spring when he wasn't drinking coffee. Even though I told him that I was changing to decaf, he apparently forgot (or just wasn't listening to me). About a month ago, he & a friend were talking about how nasty decaf tastes. Yet every morning he tells me that the coffee I make is really good and wishes I would show the people at work how to make a good pot of coffee. I drink it because I like the taste of coffee. Some caffeine may be good for you but it is too easy to become addicted to it. My husband used to get his caffeine in Pepsi, but now drinks Vernor's ginger ale. We both agree that we feel better without the caffeine. If you aren't buying good coffee, then it will taste bad -- decaf or not. In my opinion Starbucks coffee is nasty and not worth the money.

Hi PlantsAndYarn,

When you have time, would you share how to make a good pot of coffee? For example, what brand of Decaf coffee do you use? Do you grind the beans daily? What type of coffee maker?

I hope things are working out better for you. Is your son all healthy now? I totally agree that "No matter how old they are, they're still our babies." My daughter and son travel a lot. They are both good in that they would send me their itineraries. And, we would Skype, whenever possible. Skype is a godsend. It allows us to see and it's free (including from outside of U.S.)! If your son can post on Facebook, he should be able to Skype. Please look into using Skype, or Google Voice/Google Talk. "A picture is worth a thousand words", especially a video ;-)

Take care and I wish you and your loved ones a happy and healthy 2012,

> Sylvia <<<

I know you asked plantsand yam, but thought I'd add my two cents! I used both Yuban regular and decaf. The taste is great (I know a restauranteur from one of the most successfull restaurants inthe country and she personally ONLY buys Yuban.) Plus, it is rainforest alliance certified and also now makes containers using recycled materials..

Thanks Sylvia. Things are going much better. Just trying to take everything in stride! Son is healthy and back home in NC. As far a making a good cup of coffee -- not so sure it's my technique or coffee brand as much as it is my equipment, lol. I have a late 70's Corning-Ware 10 cup percolator and I just love it! I fill it with the coldest water possible, 4 heaping tbls. in the basket, perk and enjoy! Since switching to decaf. I have been using store brand coffees (Kroger & Meijer) and they are good! When I drank regular sometimes I would buy the store brand when it was on sale. The name brand decaf. coffee cans are much smaller and more expensive. If you drink it black, not sure if you would agree. I use honey & milk in mine. Always have b/c that's the way my great-grandmother did it and I always enjoyed sharing her cup of coffee with her. The Mayo Clinic says that 8 oz generic brewed coffee has 95 - 200 mg of caffeine; 8 oz generic brewed decaf has 2 -12 mg of caffeine in it.

Thanks hedgey,

I will definitely get Yuban (both reg. and decaf). Daisy_Sunshine recommends Yuban also. I like that it's rainforest alliance certified and comes in recycled materials.

Hi PlantsAndYarn,

I am happy that your son is all healthy and back home. It's so good to have our "babies" near us ;-) I am delighted that my daughter has come back from South America.

btw... Was your son's leg infection due to insect bites? I was so worried about the mosquitoes that I spent a lot of effort prior to my daughter's trip (e.g. got InsectShield clothing, sprayed her entire travel wardrobe with Permethrin, got Picaridin spray for any exposed skin, got treated mosquito nets, Vitamin B-1, etc.) The girl only got 2 bites (in the first day when she was not so diligent) while the other kids got many many bites during their expedition. Fortunately, the serum and ointments I provided helped the bites disappeared and helped the other kids also ;-). Please let me know if you would like additional info., prior to your son's next trip, if insect bites may be a problem.

Back to coffee . . . . . Thank you for all the info. I always like Corning Ware. So, I searched to see where I can buy one like yours and saw an article regarding Corning Ware coffee percolators.

The following may not be a concern; but, since yours is made in the 70's, it's good to know that in Sept. 4, 1979 => U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission released the following: “Some of these coffeemakers can be dangerous to use because the handle and metal band may separate without warning from the white glass-ceramic pot.”

Anyway, I will continue to look for a glass-ceramic percolator with similar qualities as yours. It makes sense that the coffee made in a glass-ceramic pot tastes superior to the ones made in a metal pot.

Oh, it doesn't look like there's a Kroger & Meijer near my home. So, I will go for the Yuban.

Thanks again,

> sylvia <<<

Yeah, I knew about the ban. That's why you cannot buy one on eBay. However, I think I'm safe b/c I have not had a problem with the one I have been using since Christmas of 1979!! I've had to replace the cord a couple of times, but no problems with the pot itself.

Forgot to let you know -- son's cellulitis has been on & off for about 8 years, not bug bites. Once you get it you are more susceptible to getting it again.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support NOF

Help the National Osteoporosis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Osteoporosis Foundation

Learn more about osteoporosis awareness and prevention

Discussion topics

Links and resources from NOF

Community leaders

Disclaimer

The National Osteoporosis Foundation would like to remind visitors and community members that the views and opinions expressed on this site are not necessarily those of NOF. Please consult your personal healthcare provider regarding any medical information that is shared on this site.