how long to change Ph?

I've been really working on the low acid diet for about 2 weeks now and just got some Ph strips yesterday. I was surprised when I tested my urine today that my Ph was 5.75. I thought it would show a change really quickly and was expecting better than that. How long does it take to show a change? Also, are the some brands of strips that are better than others? And finally, if I'm eating really well and still showing acid urine, what else can I change or what could this be due to?

Thanks for any input!
Amy

23 replies. Join the discussion

Also, unclear on how long to hold the strip in my urine stream? Yesterday when I held it under a little longer it showed over 7.5. Perhaps I should collect the urine and dip the strip in there?

I always show a higher PH when using saliva (when you wake rinse your mouth (not brush your teeth) and put strip on your tongue.
If you get to 7.5 that is perfect. You do not want higher than that.
6.5-7.5 is ideal

REMEMBER YOU DO NOT WANT TO GO TOO ALKALINE, THAT WILL NOT HELP YOU OR YOUR BONES. THE STRIPS SHOULD HAVE COME WITH INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO USE - I DO NOT HOLD MINE UNDER LONG - IT JUST NEEDS TO "GET WET" AND WILL SHOW RESULTS.

ONE MORE POINT, I USE SAM GRACI'S GREENS+ STRIPS AND SAM ADVISES NOT TO PUT THE STRIP ON YOUR TONGUE AS THE CHEMICALS ARE NOT GOOD FOR YOU - HE ALSO SUGGESTS THAT YOU TEST FIRST THING IN THE MORNING - SO I DO NOT RINCE MY MOUTH, THAT CHANGES THE PH I AM TRYING TO MEASURE. I AM NOT SURE WHICH BRAND YOU ARE USING - DID IT NOT COME WITH INSTRUCTIONS?

My strips came with instructions for both saliva & urine. For the urine, it says to pee in a cup. For saliva, it says to spit into a spoon. Either way, the strip has to be immersed for 15 seconds.

I usually test my urine because my mouth is usually very dry in the morning. But I've found that my urine tends to be more acid than my saliva. I'm still trying to get a handle on my diet so my tests are consistent:)

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the replies!

The instructions were very brief:

"briefly place strip in urine stream, shake and wait 15 seconds to read". How brief is "briefly"?

Will check out Sam Graci's site. The brand I got is pHyrion.

Thanks Ladies! What a blessing it was to find this site.

I got mine with my womanto woman kit.
as far as the salive it says to rince your mouth and than put it on your tongue. But thanks for the tip re chemicals .I will spit on a spoon instead!

Although the acid-alk diet is controversial, the concept makes sense to me, so I'm giving it a two-year shot. The best explanation I've read is in "The Acid-Alkaline Diet for Optimum Health," by Christopher Vasey, N.D. Vasey explains all about using the strips and their fluctuating results, and he explains why the same food can appear on one person's acid list and another's alkaline list. Parts 1 and 2 have been very helpful to my understanding. (Part 3 was lost on me as I'm sticking with foods, not supplements.)
I too use the pHion strips (100 for $12 at healthfood store) and according to directions just "pass thru urine stream." Only takes a couple seconds.

I didn't know the low acid diet was controversial...why is that? Maybe b/c I'm already a vegetarian...but I don't understand what could be controversial about eating more fruits and veggies?

I agree with you Ru,
I had posted this info on the acid/alkaline food chart discussion.

I am following his and allowing for some lee way.

Everyone agrees that more fruits and veggies are good. But not everyone agrees that meat and dairy are to be avoided because they are acidic. Not everyone agrees on whether certain foods--tomatoes, potatoes, soy milk, green tea for example--are acid or alkaline. And not everyone agrees that the pH of urine matches the pH in the body's internal cells. Apparently it's a complex issue. That's why I'm treating it as a two-year experiment.

Reenz, I will look for that other discussion.

Thank you Ru! I wasn't thinking about it that way. I'm just dealing with the fact that I even have Osteoporosis and I'm sort of terrified and paralyzed right now and not thinking super clearly.

PANDATX , WE ACTUALLY ALL FEEL THAT WAY AT FIRST, BUT WITH THE HELP OF SOME GOOD PEOPLE ON THIS SITE AN TIME AND READING, I NO LONGER FEEL HELPLESS, I AM ACTUALLY TAKING A PRO ACTIVE APPROACH TO THIS NOW - AND I AM TAKING MY SUPPLEMENTS, BECAUSE I KNOW I WILL NOT ALWAYS BE EATING PROPER NO MATTER HOW HARD I TRY - IT TAKES ABOUT 1 YEAR TO FULLY CHANGE YOUR DIET SO THAT IT NO LONGER FEELS LIKE YOUR ON A DIET... I ALSO GAVE MYSELF A YEAR, PERHAPS 2 WOULD BE BETTER.

I'VE NOT READ THAT OTHER BOOK, I READ SAM GRACI'S AND I ACTUALLY POSTED SOME LINKS TO HIM SHOPPING AND EXPLAINING WHAT TO BUY AND WHY. ALTHOUGH HE IS VEGETARIAN, HE DOES SUGGEST WHAT MEAT TO BUY FOR MEAT LOVERS AND I HAVE TO FACE IT, I LOVE MY MEAT - JUST NOT IN THE QUANTITIES I USED TO !!

xoxoxox

Hi Animal Lover,

I just completed a 24 hour urine test where I FedXed the results cross country for a complete nutrient analysis. The purpose was to evaluate my risk for forming kidney stones. My urine came back a 6.89 and that was too high for kidney health. I just had a kidney removed and have really take care of the one remaining. So now I'm confused what is the best level.

Susan

Hi all,
I find all these discussions really informative and I truly welcome feedback. I am almost 61 yrs. old in relatively good health, good diet, lousy exercise habits and I have had medically induced Osteoporosis for just about two years (thank you predisone). I cannot take pills so I started taking Boniva IV 18 months ago. Since then I have had only one dxa scan showing -2.8 spine and -1.45 hips. My original scans from long before I began the IV Boniva drug were -2.5 spine and -1.3 hip. Osteopenia. I do not have access to a middle scan taken about six months into the Boniva IV treatment.
My questions: 1. why/how does alkaline PH effect Osteo and what should I be doing to test my PH and at what level should it be?
2. If Boniva IV does not show any benefit later this year with a new dxa scan, blood bone marker test or a 24 hr. urine test, I'd like to try Forteo to build bones but have heard equal pluses and negatives for this drug.
I do suffer panic attacks (controlled nicely with low mg. of Xanax), slight dizziness from minor MS and a minor regurg in my heart which only acts up when I over exercise. I'd welcome any opinions from those who have had experience with Forteo. If I took Forteo I would take it at night so the dizzy part would not effect me.

So sorry all. I posted this as a reply and it should have been a new discussion.
Respectfully,
Susan

Our bodies have so many checks and balances to keep our pH level correct, I can't imagine why we think we can change it. I think a good balanced diet and lots of exercise and supplements, as we feel are necessary, are the best. (Not a standard American diet!) I would rather focus on a weighted vest and jumping jacks than changing my pH. From what I have seen, you have to have something seriously wrong if your pH is abnormal.
But all this being said, I an NOT even close to being an expert on all this.

Maka,

Normal metabolism leaves by-products which tend to lower (acidify) the blood and so most of the time the body is employing mechanisms to raise the pH.
By eating a diet consisting mostly of foods that leave an acid residue we are making the mechanisms that raise the blood's pH work that much harder. By eating a diet rich in foods that leave an alkaline residue we are easing the workload of the mechanisms that control the blood's pH.

One mechanism which the body utilizes to raise the blood's pH is to steal calcium from the bones. The body resorts to using this mechanism only when other mechanisms are unable to do the job because the acid load is so great. This overload condition is what we seek to avoid by eating an alkaline rich diet.

Maggie

I got some phion balance strips a week ago and tested my urine'4 days running (let's pause here while I wrap my mind around the fact that I'm online sharing tales about my urine......). They seemed very reactive. One day when I ate tons of veggies, including a bunch of kale, I came out almost in the 'ideal' range. The next day I chowed on Combos and the following morning I was acidic. Similar results the next two times (one alkaline after 'watching it', one acidic after being bad). I'm having a lot of thoughts about whether it's worth it to be this obsessed about diet. I'm not sure mental anguish is healthy either! Speaking of weighted vests...over the last two years I did some weight training but mostly was a HUGE walker on the treadmill. Now I'm reading walking is no big deal...it increases bone density slightly, but it's using progressively heavier weights that does the most good. I also lost over 20 pounds after I was first diagnosed because I went nuts with exercise and eating right. That probably explains why I'm worse off now than then....I really didn't have much to lose. My bones apparently didn't feel needed. How exasperating.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support NOF

Help the National Osteoporosis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Osteoporosis Foundation

Learn more about osteoporosis awareness and prevention

Discussion topics

Links and resources from NOF

Community leaders

Disclaimer

The National Osteoporosis Foundation would like to remind visitors and community members that the views and opinions expressed on this site are not necessarily those of NOF. Please consult your personal healthcare provider regarding any medical information that is shared on this site.