Has anyone taken Biosil?

I am researching Biosil for osteo. I came upon this study.

November 13, 2010

- Products by Category
- Alphabetic Product Listing

Hyaluronic Acid Center, Neptune Krill Oil & Rejuvenation Science for Doctors

Men's Health
Women's Health
Senior's Health
Antioxidants
Sports Nutrition
Diet & Weight Loss
Vitamins & Minerals
Herbs
Specialty
Supplements
Targeted
Supplements
Spa Products
Anti-Aging Basics
Body Systems
Body Structure
Book Store
Pet Health

My Recommendation
My Favorite Articles
Our Most Popular
Specials
Bargain Basement
Brands
Free Samples

MSM

Silicon for Bones and Joints
BioSil is the Ultimate Silicon

Hair, Skin & Nail Strength

Bone & Joint Structure

Cardiovascular Function

New Evidence for the Important Role of Orthosilicic Acid in Bone Metabolism

Silicon Enhances Calcium's Bone Benefits

Silicon Uptake is a Major Dietary Determinant of Bone Mineral Density (BMD)

Studies at UCLA and other research institutions have proven that silicon as an essential element required for the normal growth, development, and integrity of bones, joints and connective tissue; as well as for hair, skin, nails, arteries and cartilage. Literally every part of the body that requires strength and elasticity requires silicon.

Specifically, silicon is associated with collagen formation, the fibrous protein matrix which provides support for body structures such as cartilage and bones. This is why optimal bone health depends upon silicon as well as calcium. Inadequate silicon intake has been associated with weak, brittle nails and weakened capillaries and arteries; because the essential protein matrix is deficient.

Our bodies process silicon inefficiently, and our ability to do even that diminishes as we age. Scientists currently estimate our daily requirement for silicon to be between 5 to 20 mg. per day. This is clearly why BioSil supplementation is necessary to ensure healthy bones, joints, hair, nails and connective tissue.

BioSil Contains the Only Bioavailable Form of Silicon

The only bioavailable form of silicon is orthosilicic acid [Si(OH)4], not silica [Si02]. Silica is silicon dioxide, which is not bioavailable. Silicon is found in food (and horsetail) as silicates, which are likewise not bloavailable. All dietary silicon must be dissolved in the stomach into orthosilicic acid, the monomeric (single unit) correct form of silicic acid, which is absorbed and used by the body. Silicic acid, however, is unstable. In concentrations over 1 ppm (the amount typically found in mineral water, orthosilicic acid readily polymerizes into long chains, converting in the process back into a non-bioavailable silicate. BioSil is a revolutionary breakthrough product, stabilized and concentrated at 20,000 parts per million and providing 1 mg of highly biologically active and absorbable silicon in just one drop! One bottle of BioSil equals the orthosilicic acid in 600 liters(!) of mineral water!

"The orthosilicic acid in one bottle of BioSil equals 600 liters of mineral water!"

BioSil and the Bones

Silicon plays a very important role in bone calcification, especially in the growth of new bone. The cells that make bone (osteoblasts) begin constructing a connective tissue matrix. When this is done, the osteoblasts switch their function, and begin to fill in this matrix with minerals. This process requires silicon.

In a clinical study of 53 women who had osteoporosis, silicon supplementation produced an increase in bone mineral density, or an increase in bone mass. Indeed, silicon seemed to be the only thing that could alone help relieve the destructive process that results in osteoporosis. Eisinger and Clairet (1993).

"Bone health depends on Silicon"

BioSil and the Joints

Connective tissue is composed of cells which produce the fibrous protein matrixes of collagen and elastin, as well as the hydrated network of amino-sugars called glycosaminoglycans (GAGs) or mucopolysaccarides (MPSs). Silicon is known to act as a cross-linking agent which stabilizes the glycosaminoglycan networks. A major function of GAGs is to attract and hold water in the joints. Why is this important? Because articular cartilage in the joints has no blood supply of its own. Healthy cartilage therefore derives all its nutrition, as well as its cushioning effect, from the supply of water in the joints.

Glucosamine,an amino sugar needed for the production of GAGs, is quite well known as an effective alternative support for joints. Given silicon's physiological association with GAGs, combining silicon with glucosamine will increase the effectiveness of the latter for promoting joint and connective tissue health.

Another important aspect of silicon is its essentialiry for the formation and maintenance of healthy joint cartilage. Chondroitin sulfate requires silicon to construct the chondrocytes, the sponge-like material in the joints that nourishes articular cartilage. In fact, silicon, in the form of silanolates, actually reconnect together the chondroitin sulfate molecules in joints. Increased hydration promotes connective tissue elasticity and cushioning. So vital is silicon to healthy joint function that in `Maximizing the Arthritis Cure'; the follow-up book to "The Arthritis Cure"; mention is made to the addition of silicon to everyone's diet, because of the important role silicon has been found to have in bone and cartilage formation.

BioSil and the Heart

A substantial amount of the body's connective tissue in our bodies is the linings of our veins and arteries. Clinical studies show that silicon progressively drops in the artery wall. In seniority and heart disease, silicon in the aorta is only 15% of that of a child. Silicon makes the inner lining of arterial tissue (tunica intima) less permeable. Since arterial damage is usually the first step in plaque formation that can eventually clog an artery and lead to surgical consequences, researchers are beginning to think that silicon deficiency may predispose someone for certain types of heart disease.

BioSil and the Skin

Skin comprises the largest organ containing connective tissue. It's 15-20% of our body weight. Silicon from BioSil was shown to increase the collagen concentration in the dermis of the skin of calves up to 12.5% (Calomme and Vanden Berghe 1997). Silicon is crucial for activating the hydroxylation enzymes for crosslinking collagen, which improves the strength and elasticity of this fibrous protein. Better collagen means better skin; more elasticity, fewer wrinkles.

BioSil & Hair and Nails

Hair - The outer shaft of hair is intended to be very strong, essentially as strong as any fiber. This outer shaft of hair, that also provides elasticity and strength, is rich in silicon. BioSil can help hair grow thicker and stronger. Hair with higher silicon content tends to fall out less and has more shine and luster.

Nails - The predominant minerals in nails are calcium, silicon and sulfur. A sign that silicon may be systemically deficient is nails that are brittle or soft.

The Essential Nature of Silicon

In her years of research, Edith Carlisle demonstrated that silicon is essential, and in nature, silicon is virtually everywhere. Next to oxygen, it is the second most abundant element, comprising 28% of the earth's crust.

Our bodies contain about seven grams of silicon. In blood, silicon is in the form known as orthosilicic acid, which is the only form that can be absorbed, whether by a plant, an animal or humans.

BioSil is orthosilicic acid, stabilized in this singular form, so it is immediately available for absorption. This bioavailabiliry of BioSil is precisely what makes it so much more valuable than any other silicon form.

In a clinical study at the University of Antwerp, several leading silicon supplements were tested on volunteers for a week. There was a one week washout period between each dosing period, during which the ( subjects ate a regular diet. BioSil was compared with a commercially available horsetail extract and a silica gel. Mineral water was used as a control. Dr. Leigh Broadhurst, perhaps the foremost proponent on dietary silicon today, cites this study in her lectures around the country (see graph).

"The silicon from BioSil showed an increase in the urine and in the bloodstream. We measure the urine output of trace elements, not because it's being wasted, but because that shows you that it's been metabolized, and the body takes what it needs and excretes what it doesn't. But the most important thing is that we saw an increase in the bloodstream only with BioSil."

The BioSil Advantages

High Potency - As BioSil is 20,000 times more concentrated than mineral water, one drop of BioSil (1 mg) is equal to an entire bottle of mineral water!

Maximum Absorption - BioSil contains stabilized orthosilicic acid, the only form of silicon absorbed directly through the stomach wall and the gastrointestinal tract into the bloodstream.

Cost-effective - BioSil is the most cost efficient solution for healthier bones, joints, and connective tissue, starting at only 24 cents a day!

Maintenance 6 drops/ 100 days $0.24

High Use 10 drops/60 days $0.40

Total: 600 drops per bottle. Each drop contains 1 mg of silicon.

References

Broadhurst C.L. (1999) "Silicon's essential benefits"

Calomme M.R. and Vanden Berghe D.A. (1997) Supplementation of calves with stabilized Orthosilicic Acid: effect on the Si, Ca, Mg and P concentration in serum and on the collagen concentration in skill and cartilage. Biological Trace Element Research, 56, in press.

Calomme M.R. et. al. (1998) Supplementation of calves with stabilized Orthosilicic Acid: effect on the Si, Ca, Mg and P concentration in serum and on the collagen concentration in skill and cartilage. Biological Trace Element Research, 56, in press.

Carlisle E.M. (1970) Silicon: A possible growth factor in bone calcification. Science, 167, 279-280.

Carlisle E.M. (1970) In vivo requirement for silicon in articular cartilage and connective tissue formation in the chick. Journal of Nutrition, 106, 478-484.

Carlisle E.M. (1986) Silicon as an essential trace element in animal nutrition. Silicon Biochemistry, CIBA Foundation Symposium 121, John Wiley and Sons, New York, 123-139.

Eisinger J. and Clairet D. (1993) Effects of silicon, flouride, etidronate and magnesium on bone mineral density: a retrospective study. Magnesium Research, 6, 247-249.

Frey K.S., Pottery G.D. et. al. Plasma silicon and radiographic bone density in weaning quarter horses fed sodium zeolite A. Equine Vet Science, 12, 292-296.

Loeper J., Goy-Loeper J. et. al. The antiatheromatous action of silicon. Atherosclerosis, 33, 397-408.

Reprinted with exclusive permission by Jarrow Formulas.

What do you think?

22 replies. Join the discussion

Hi Sally48,
I just started using BioSil a few weeks ago. I was looking for something primarily for hair shedding. After washing my hair, I noticed, for me, too much hair in the sink. I was going to get Biotin, but when I went to the health food store, she immediately pointed this out as being immensely popular. Then I noticed it was good for bones, teeth, joints, skin and nails, as well. I felt as if I hit the jackpot. So, the way I take it is 6 drops in juice in the morning which is the recommended dose for bones and joints. Then as soon as I come home from work, I take 4 more so that I get the benefits for everything else which requires 10 drops total per day. My next Dexa is in June, but I must say that I think my skin is looking better... smoother and there is a lot less hair shedding. Also, my nails feel stronger. Hope it helps the bones too. I don't see any downside to taking it, no side effects. Hope this helps.
Angela

Certainly worth looking at. I'd like to research any potential side effects. Thanks for posting, almost seems too good to be true. Makes me wonder why I haven't heard of it before!

Girasole
Thanks for your reply, I'm glad to hear of the recommendation from the health food store. Of course as we age, we all need some help for our skin, hair, joints, and bones, it does sound too good to be true. I am taking the Ultra Bone Up by Jarrow and Biosil was recommended to be taken with it. I googled for side effects and came up with none. So why not take it... Sally

Wild4Stars
Thanks so much for your reply. I did look into side effects and so far none. I was researching which foods contain it, and found beer, unprocessed grains, green beans, and bananas had the most. The problem is that it is not always bio-availabe to us. Supplementing was bio-available. I found this interesting article:
http://www.prolithic.com/hpages/ref_docs/orthosil.html
Let me know if you find any side effects. thanks Sally

Hi
were do you buy it?

Hi,
This is what I found concerning Biosil side effects:

To date, the only side effects that have been reported are from those that have ingested more than the recommended amount of Biosil. Side effects are diarrhea, bloating and digestive disorders. If taken correctly, there are no side effects associated with using Biosil.

Hope this helps!

Hi Penalopy,
You can purchase BioSil at any health food store. I've seen it at Vitamin Shoppe and of course on line at various sites.

I've searched for negatives and can't find any. The most negative statement I found was that there have not been enough clinical tests.
http://www2.healthyimmunity.com/Biosil-strong-bones-and-osteoarthritis.html
My favorite on-line health food store is Vitacost.com. They have good prices and quick shipping. They have a flat fee shipping cost so I usually order everything at once, shipping is $4.99 no matter the size of the order.
http://www.vitacost.com/Natural-Factors-BioSil-Hair-Skin-Nails-120-Vegetari an-Capsules
Thanks Sally48 for posting! For my money it's sure worth a try. Worse case scenario - it doesn't help my bones but my skin and hair may look better!!

Wild4Stars
Very interesting that also receding gums is mentioned in your first link. I wonder if that would be an indicator of bone loss. I will have to ask my hygienist. I have ordered from Organic Pharmacy and like them. Prices seem comparable. Let's keep our fingers crossed that Biosil is a good element for our bones. Your are right, it will probably help some thing in our bodies. I hope my nails, as they have always been brittle. Thanks for your links!

I just checked Organic Pharmacy, they sell Jarrow, but did not see Biosil. I think I have seen it at Whole Foods. Most health food stores should carry it, as well as Wild4Stars said Vitacost does.

biosil is liquid silica thought to be best utilised by the body , biosil silica is stabilised in choline (which gives it the strong fishy smell ) some people cannot properly metabilise choline I think I might be one of them & have been taking a silica complex in tablet form for about a year now , it has other ingredients such as calcium, zinc, manganese,silica from horsetail extract, oatstraw,boron ...my nails are strong my hair is thick havent noticed any dramatic change in skin as for the bones, I wont know till my next dexa
at least silica is harmless & every little bit helps

Info on Biosil verses horsetail silica;

Biosil™ is not a skin lotion, but a supplement that contains a biologically active form of silicon called choline-stabilized orthosilicic acid. Studies show that this particular form of silicon increases levels of hydroxyproline, which is a key amino acid required for the production of collagen and elastin – the stuff that makes our skin smooth, firm and elastic.

BioSil benefits go beyond the skin. Although people think of this as a skin-vitamin, it does so much more....such supporting healthy joints, connective tissues, hair, nails, arteries and cartilage.

According to research from the National Institute of Health, long term horsetail extract (silica) use has been known to deplete Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) levels. A severe deficiency of Vitamin B1 could lead to nervous system disorders, confusion, difficulty with vision, eye movements, or walking. It could also contribute to memory loss. People with a vitamin B1 deficiency should avoid horsetail extract.

I hope that each an every person considering biosil or horsetail extract will do their research. What I have read is that biosil in the form of orthosilicic acid is the most bioavailable to the body.

I LOVE Biosil!
It's hard to know definitively how it's affecting my calcium absorption, as so much does, (stress particularly) but my hair and finger nails definitely respond with strong, fast and healthy growth! It's taste is less than delightful, but easily camouflaged.

I LOVE Biosil!
It's hard to know definitively how it's affecting my calcium absorption, as so much does, (stress particularly) but my hair and finger nails definitely respond with strong, fast and healthy growth! It's taste is less than delightful, but easily camouflaged.

Hi All,
I take JarroSil by Jarrow. It has silicon, boron and zinc. They recommend you take 10 drops and it tastes much better than Biosil.
I also take Synthovial Seven which is hyaluronic acid.

All of these are supposed to help build healthy hair, skin and joints. Hyaluronic acid is also good for your eyes. There are not any side effects if taken as directed, at least that I am aware of.

I am glad you started this discussion.
Dianedc

Dianedc,
Thanks for your post, I will look into Jarrosil, too. Synthovial Seven sounds good too if it will help eyes, which is very important as we age. Thanks again for your info!

Does this mean I give up the biotin, use BioSil, and continue with my calcium? I use horsetail and did not know it impedes vitamin B.
I learn so much on this site - much more than from my doctors. I am not taking any more osteo drugs, due to the side effects of Reclast, and am grateful to everyone for the information passed on.

BW
Biosil is not the same as biotin. Here is a link:

Resolved QuestionShow me another »
What is the difference between BioSil and Biotin?
I know that they are both for hair loss, but is there one that is better than the other or one that is more recommended?
Please help!
2 years ago
Report Abuse

Daid J
Best Answer - Chosen by Voters

BioSil is a product. Biotin is a vitamin. that is the main difference. One of the main ingredients in Biosil is collagen and really that will not prevent hair loss. Biotin is from the vitamin b family and while its good for your hair its quite difficult to be lacking in it because you can find it in everyday foods. If you are suffering hair loss it could be from your diet, lack of protein or vitamins. If I was you I would try a hair suplement in the first place rather than a generic product like BioSil.

I am doing biosil for my bones, if it helps hair, nail and skin so much for the better. It is a bioavailable form or orthosilicic acid or silicon. On Wikipedia it said that if you lived in the US or AU you would not need biotin as your diet would provide the necessary nutrients. Hopefully some others will have more answers for you. I am limited in my knowledge of this. Warm regards, Sally

Thanks, Sally, that helps clarify it. I had hair loss from Reclast, but now, after 1 1/2 years, it has stopped and is growing in as thick as ever. I am still taking the biotin and will continue it, but the Biosil will help with the bone loss since I will not take any more osteo drugs.

BW
That is interesting that you had hair loss from Reclast. I'm so glad that your hair is growing back in. I live in the NE and I would be so cold without my hair. I think if biotin helps keep doing it. I have the same sentiment, no more osteo drugs. Have a great day! Sally

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support NOF

Help the National Osteoporosis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Osteoporosis Foundation

Learn more about osteoporosis awareness and prevention

Discussion topics

Links and resources from NOF

Community leaders

Disclaimer

The National Osteoporosis Foundation would like to remind visitors and community members that the views and opinions expressed on this site are not necessarily those of NOF. Please consult your personal healthcare provider regarding any medical information that is shared on this site.