Evista and Dental Implants

I started on Forteo a little over 2 years ago because I had 6 dental implants at the time and I needed to take a medication that would increase bone in the jaw, as well as in the spine and hips (osteopenia). I've been on Forteo for a little over 2 years now, but it did not increase my bone density in the spine and hips. My doctor has now prescribed Evista to take, along with the Forteo. I now have 9 dental implants and I'm due to get 3 more this month (12 total). Question: Have any of you experienced osteonecrosis of the jaw (death of the jaw bone) while on Evista alone?

2 replies. Join the discussion

Hi california, Evista (Raloxifene) is a SERM which means it's a drug that acts like estrogen on some tissues, but blocks the effect of estrogen on other tissues (Websters Online Dictionary, 2010).

SERMs don't cause osteonecrosis; bisphosphonates like (Actonel, Boniva, Reclast, Zometa, Aredia, Fosamax etc)may cause this but SERMs don't have the same ability.

You mentioned that you've been on Forteo for over 24 months, was this difficult or did you have trouble with your insurance covering it? I know a couple people who have gone beyond the 24 months on Forteo, but they had to battle with their insurance to cover this since no studies have been done beyond the 24 months.

Has the Forteo helped with your implant surgery? I hope so, since we now have evidence that Forteo does this. I'm sorry you bmd hasn't increased.

There have been studies on the combo of Evista and Forteo here's one:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16234962

Good luck...

Windblown,

Thanks very much for your response and for the link to the study. That was very helpful information to see.

Since my initial post, I met with my Internal Medicine doctor and she is not recommending my taking Evista due to the potential for blood clots in legs or lungs. She does not prescribe Evista to any of her patients. She also recommends that I not take Forteo longer than 3 months past the initial 2 years. My insurance did cover the first month.

So this leaves me with the need for medication, per my dental implantologist, to bolster and/or maintain my jawbone without scary side affects. At this time, I do not know what the answer is, since I do not want to take bizphosonates due to the instances of osteonecrosis of the jaw.

Does anyone know of any medication other than Forteo, Evista, or bizphosonates for maintain bone?

Thanks so much.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support NOF

Help the National Osteoporosis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Osteoporosis Foundation

Learn more about osteoporosis awareness and prevention

Discussion topics

Links and resources from NOF

Community leaders

Disclaimer

The National Osteoporosis Foundation would like to remind visitors and community members that the views and opinions expressed on this site are not necessarily those of NOF. Please consult your personal healthcare provider regarding any medical information that is shared on this site.