DHEA for osteoporosis?

I've read a little about DHEA and how it may be useful for osteoporosis, though, being a hormone, it apparently has somewhat different effects in men and women.

Does anyone have experience with or more information about the use of DHEA for osteoporosis?

3 replies. Join the discussion

DHEA-> testosterone and can build bone.

The results of a new promising study have just been released:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19321570
In the study, women taking DHEA for 2 years had a 2.6% increase in spine BMD (but no change in hip BMD). For men, the DHEA had no effect.

Brad328192,

A naturopath had me taking DHEA in hopes of stimulating my adrenal gland. My endrocrinologist wasn't thrilled with me taking it. He said it would promote testosterone production and cause excess hair growth in women. Also, as I am a soprano, he was concerned that this could deepen my voice. Maybe good for an alto, but not for me. I don't think I'd look too good in a moustache.

I wonder if any of the women in this study had these side effects.

Susan

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support NOF

Help the National Osteoporosis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Osteoporosis Foundation

Learn more about osteoporosis awareness and prevention

Discussion topics

Links and resources from NOF

Community leaders

Disclaimer

The National Osteoporosis Foundation would like to remind visitors and community members that the views and opinions expressed on this site are not necessarily those of NOF. Please consult your personal healthcare provider regarding any medical information that is shared on this site.