COST OF VITAMIN D

My insurance doesn't pay for Vitamin D which I am required to take 100,000 mg daily which brings my calcium to the right level.
Does anybody have Vitamin D paid for by their insurance?
Are there sources to buy it on line in bulk?

6 replies. Join the discussion

DONN
NOT MG==

If you were asking for 100,000 of MG, or even mcg, per day--that would be the reason that my insurance would not pay.
My INSURANCE paid for 50,000OI.U. [Doctor prescription] per week .

I.U. [International Unites] are smaller than mcg ; mcg; are smaller than MG.

HOPE THAT I HAVE THIS CLOSE TO RIGHT==
THE I,U. FOR 100,000MG [WOULD BE 10,000mcg] 100I.U.

I don't do figures well, so, i may have the multiples wrong--- but I.U. is the smallest, and
I THINK YOU MEANT 10,000I.U.?

AND TOO, VIT D is inexpensive over the counter

Blue Cross Blue Shield paid for most of mine. But mine is a prescription. Is yours? I should clarify and say they paid for the first two months; after that, they asked that I order it from an online source that they specified (Medco). The cost differential was pretty huge, so I can see why they had me do that. Like at the pharmacy, my co-pay was $13.00 for 4 pills. From the online thing, it was $13.00 for the entire 4 months' prescription.

Somebody on here in another thread referenced some online source of vitamin D for $16.00. Maybe type that in the search engine and see what comes up.

My insurance said they wouldn't cover the 50,00iu/wk I had a prescription for. They said it was a supplement though I couldn't find that much in an over the counter product. I quit it as it seemed it was too much for my liver (I have cirrohisis).

I would think your doctor would give you a maintenance prescription for such huge doses. But D is very inexpensive OTC at grocery stores, Walgreen's and the like. The largest OTC dose you could find would be 5000 IUs.

Donnalc -- I don't know the site, but Google it -- there IS a source to buy Vitamin D3, in the 50,000IU dosage, on line. That's how my pharmacist gets his. But he also told me that if a person tries to buy from a health food store, even with a prescription for D3, the health food stores around here make them buy 100 tablets at a time. If you're taking the megadose daily, then I guess that's what you're stuck with. By taking the megadose only on alternating Mondays, I take approximately 26 capsules a year, so a prescription for that amount, at $13, is just right -- the date of expiration won't have passed.

hussey
THAT makes your D cheap enough, that is about 3k per day , i AM NOT sure but think walgreens 1k i.u, runs about $5.oo for 60 or 100ct.

i am still on mega dose script for a month supply --copay $11.00. for 50,000i.u.
per week.

--so I considered vit D is inexpensive.

Today I looked online and by buying MULTIPLE bottles at a time= 3000i,u, per day is $6,00 per month supply BUT THE FIRST ONE BOTTLE OF 60 ct was $17.00 plus--,
I DID NOT READ JUST HOW MANY YEARS SUPPLY you had to order to get the $6,00 per month price!

[ 80i.u., RDA] i think is on bottles but the up to date suggestions that are being passed around -among us and other associations-- are rising 1000 - 2000i,u, per day--- to double that.

How do we know ---when we arrive at our individual maintenance level-- experiment and test every three months to stay in the 50 - 80 [blood tests] scale number.

After all i.u. sounds a high number , yet, is still SMALL in relation to our MG CALCIUM ETC.

so what is a thousand or three?

]

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support NOF

Help the National Osteoporosis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Osteoporosis Foundation

Learn more about osteoporosis awareness and prevention

Discussion topics

Links and resources from NOF

Community leaders

Disclaimer

The National Osteoporosis Foundation would like to remind visitors and community members that the views and opinions expressed on this site are not necessarily those of NOF. Please consult your personal healthcare provider regarding any medical information that is shared on this site.