Carbonated Water

I'm reading conflicting reports about carbonation in water. Perrier and San Pellegrino were my drink of choice (water-wise!) for years. Would love to hear your views on whether these should be avoided or not.
Txs

7 replies. Join the discussion

I believe those are okay. It is not the carbonation that is the problem, rather it's the phosphoric acid that's in carbonated soda and beer.

Check the label to be sure, but I seem to remember reading the Pellegrino/Perrier were okay.

Hi Catkin:
I do not recommend carbonated water for my clients or support group members. CO2, which is carbonation, changes the pH pf the body. You can drink it like beer or wine but not as your water requirement which should be 50% of your body weight in ounces per day.

If you have further questions or if you want to join our osteoporosis support group please feel free to email me at bebonestrong@sequoiahealth.com.

Woody McMahon

Hi Catkin:
I do not recommend carbonated water for my clients or support group members. CO2, which is carbonation, changes the pH pf the body. You can drink it like beer or wine but not as your water requirement which should be 50% of your body weight in ounces per day.

If you have further questions or if you want to join our osteoporosis support group please feel free to email me at bebonestrong@sequoiahealth.com.

oh shucks

I was disappointed because in Dr. Susan Brown's book some of those waters were listed as very alkaline

how about letting some or all of the CO2 evaporate?
Or- what about naturally sparkling water like Gerolsteiner -supposedly bottled with its own natural carbonation? (or what does that mean?)

my menu is shrinking shrinking shrinking

I've been drinking kombucha 1-2 times a week. The lady at the health food store recommended it. I have to admit I don't know much about it. But I can sip on that and it satisfies my desire to have a beer or wine or other carbonated type drink. Anyone have any comments on kombucha?

What if changing the pH of our bodies is what we hope for?? I drink Pellegrino because it's mineral water and I hope that it's helping to keep my body in a state where it won't be leeching minerals from my bones.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support NOF

Help the National Osteoporosis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Osteoporosis Foundation

Learn more about osteoporosis awareness and prevention

Discussion topics

Links and resources from NOF

Community leaders

Disclaimer

The National Osteoporosis Foundation would like to remind visitors and community members that the views and opinions expressed on this site are not necessarily those of NOF. Please consult your personal healthcare provider regarding any medical information that is shared on this site.