Calcium deposits in eyes

My 51 yr old sister had a stye treated by her GP. After a week of drops it wasn't much better so she saw an eye Dr. He said she has dry eyes, an infection and calcium deposits in her eyes which he is treating with drops every hour and different drops every 3 hours. Said she was lucky to have come in when she did as this could have gotten worse. I've never heard of this - anyone familiar with??? Thanks!
Debbie

2 replies. Join the discussion

I have calcium bands in my eyes Just found out today.
The dr. said it can be removed by scraping.
Next appointment is Jan. 4 2010. Will know more then.

Hi Debbie,

I had styes when I was young (teenage to 30 yrs. old). Hot compress helped a lot (soak a face towel with hot water and place on the eye, but not too hot to be uncomfortable). Or, a steamer for your face also helped, not only the eye, but wonderful for your skin.

As for the calcium deposits, I get them often (many times during the past 10 years). When I feel the particle (sand like), it's very annoying. But, it's a quick and easy fix ... my ophthalmologist (also a fabulous eye surgeon) would just flip my eyelid; and within a second, scrap the calcium particle off. Then, I can see comfortably, without the feeling of having a piece of sand in my eye. There's no recovery time. It's instantaneous relief ;-)

I have started to take Vitamin D3 and Magnesium a couple of weeks ago. I believe that these supplements will help build my bones as well as preventing the calcium deposits from forming.

For dry eyes, I use Systane by Alcon. When I can't remove my eye makeup remover completely, washing my eyes with a eye wash (e.g. Collyrium) helps a lot.

Hope your sister feels better soon,
Sylvia ps. Washing your face, including eyelids, with Dove soap is beneficial. That may be the key for me not having skye any longer.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support NOF

Help the National Osteoporosis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Osteoporosis Foundation

Learn more about osteoporosis awareness and prevention

Discussion topics

Links and resources from NOF

Community leaders

Disclaimer

The National Osteoporosis Foundation would like to remind visitors and community members that the views and opinions expressed on this site are not necessarily those of NOF. Please consult your personal healthcare provider regarding any medical information that is shared on this site.