Breakfast without Phytic Acid or Oxalates

I've been eating Quaker Quick rolled Oats for breakfast every morning. I had switched from plain Cherrios because of bran fiber in it. Found out that oatmeal has alot of phytic acid in it and I may not be absorbing calcium. What do I eat for breakfast that does not have oxalates or phytic acid in it? I stay away from spinach and Kale which I loved and it seems like I'm limited on foods and vegtables. It's confusing when they say to eat it but then you read about it and it takes the calcium out of you. What do you think? Any good smoothie recipes without the bad stuff. Thanks for your help.

Edited April 8, 2011 at 2:58 pm

11 replies. Join the discussion

NOF does not recommend avoiding foods rich in phytates and oxalates. Many of these foods are packed with nutrients, some of which appear to benefit the bones such as vitamin K, calcium and magnesium. While phytates and oxalates can interfere with calcium absorption in the foods that contain these compounds, phytates and oxalates usually do not interfere with the calcium you get from other foods eaten at the same time. The one exception to this rule includes foods with 100% wheat bran. This mainly occurs with wheat bran cereals because the wheat bran tends to be very concentrated. This is not the case with cereals that contain some wheat bran but not 100% wheat bran. Eating breads with wheat bran shouldn't have much impact on calcium absorption because the amount of wheat bran is much lower than in cereals with 100% wheat bran. If you eat a cereal with 100% wheat bran, it's possible you could lose about 50% or so of the calcium in the milk you might consume at the same time. We don't know exactly how much because we don't have much research on this. On the other hand, when you eat spinach (which is packed with many healthy nutrients), even though the calcium contained in the spinach is very poorly absorbed, it should not interfere with other calcium sources consumed at the same time.

While it's best to avoid taking your calcium supplement with your 100% wheat brean cereal (if you can), you probably shouldn't worry too much about the other foods that contain phytates and oxalates.* NOF's recommendations also take into consideration any small interferences with calcium absorption that may occur. Just try to eat a variety of fruits, veggies, calcium-rich foods and lean proteins for your bone health and overall health.

*This information is specific to calcium absorption. Some people may need to avoid foods with oxalates due to the risk of kidney stones. If this applies to you, follow the recommendation of your healthcare provider.

Osteo Staff Thank you for your information. Is the quick oats oatmeal the same as the wheat bran?

ew collins Thank you for the links. Would you have to soak the Quaker Quick Oats or have they already been soaked?

No it isn't, it's oat bran. I do not believe that Cheerios has 100% wheat bran either. Check the box. These items should not impact calcium absorption.

I prefer old fashioned and steel cut oats to quick outs. When I plan ahead, I soak any of them overnight in a lemon juice mixture. I have also soaked oats in whey (a byproduct from making my own milk curd).

ewcollins - I've been reading the links you provided about soaking oatmeal and the emphasis seems to be on adding an acidic substance, i.e. apple cider vinegar or lemon juice. Can you tell me why this is done? Why can't you just eat the soaked oats as I've been doing? Thanks!

Nolajean - I will admit that I do not understand the details of why an acidic solution should be used for soaking oatmeal, but it is even more complicated than that:

http://www.rebuild-from-depression.com/soaking-grains
http://www.rebuild-from-depression.com/blog/2010/02/oatmeal_phytic_acid.htm l
http://www.phyticacid.org

Someone at one of these links commented, "If you find yourself worrying about the oatmeal as you eat it (soaked or unsoaked) perhaps you should seek out another grain. Worry and stress actually increase our body’s need for nutrients."

Thanks for the links. I will go back to having porridge for breakfast now.

Like ewcollins I eat old fashioned steel cut oats for breakfast with whatever fruit is in season and wheatGERM as it's high in Vit B (not wheat bran). I looked on the phyticacid.org link and could not find anything about 'oats'.

I am from the UK and perhaps oats are not as popular in the USA as in the UK?

Should I soak the oats in water and lemon should I soak in milk?

Thank you

Halful

Thanks for the links! Who knew? I guess I had better try soaking my oatmeal now. I'm not sure I'll soak all the other things recommended but I'll give the oats a try. I'm afraid I'll start obsessing about this!

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support NOF

Help the National Osteoporosis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Osteoporosis Foundation

Learn more about osteoporosis awareness and prevention

Discussion topics

Links and resources from NOF

Community leaders

Disclaimer

The National Osteoporosis Foundation would like to remind visitors and community members that the views and opinions expressed on this site are not necessarily those of NOF. Please consult your personal healthcare provider regarding any medical information that is shared on this site.