Book recommendations

There have been lots of recommendations made by members on good resource books in the different threads. Thought I would start a discussion so they could be put in one thread and it would be easier to find. Anything related to osteoporosis and the different conditions that affect it would be great. Any suggestions?

9 replies. Join the discussion

Hi Chris, I'm very new here and the one book that has continued to come up is "Your Bones" by Lara Pizzorno. I bought mine on amazon. This book has great resources and guidelines and is easy to follow. Hope you find it as helpful as I have.
Janice

"The Whole-Body approach to Osteoporosis" is a book that has helped me understand so much more, in depth, about Osteoporosis and about tests to find out causes of bone loss and how to turn it around and how to monitor progress. It has really given me hope !! to "tame my own Osteo-Monster" - this approach is what feels right & trustworthy for me. If you click on ”visit our site and blog” in the link above you will also find, continuously, information & comments about recent research.
The author Dr Keith McCormick , DC, has his own experience with osteoporosis, diagnosed at age 45, he has had a lot of fractures but now he is not fracturing any more – today he is very active, his favorite sport is Triathlons …

Maybe off the topic but it might be of interest for some of you: Dr Keith McCormick lives in Massachusetts and if you live in and around that state, and can organize a meeting with at least 25-30 people, I know that he is more than willing to come and speak about Osteoporosis. (Unfortunately I live in France and that is a bit far for him to travel…). If that is of interest I guess you could contact him here because he is a member of Inspire http://www.inspire.com/DrRKeith/

Regarding the book ”Your Bones”
I’ve been told that the 2nd edition of Your Bones, will be out in March 2013 and that it is almost double its original length including a 15 page section on all the labs one might want to have run to identify "hidden" causes of bone loss.
The author Lara Pizzorno is also a member of Inspire http://www.inspire.com/LaraPizzorno/

In addition to the books mentioned, the following are book in my osteoporosis library:

Building Bone Vitality - Amy Joy Lanou
Walk Tall - Sara Meeks
Yoga for Better Bones - Margaret Martin PT
Yoga for Osteoporosis - Loren Fishman
OsteoPilates - Karena Thek Lineback
The Osteoporosis Exercise Book - Sherri Betz PT
The Complete Book of Bone Health - Diane L Schneider
NOF Boning Up On Osteoporosis www.nof.org
Living Day to Day with Severe Osteoporosis 2012 Update- Alice V. Roberts

Adding in my list:
The Whole Body Approach to Osteoporosis - Dr. Keith McCormick
Your Bones - Lara Pizzorno (As previously stated, Lara's revised book should be available this March)

Additional Books: For your information - later Published dates - Check at your library
The Myth of Osteoporosis - Gillian Sanson
Beautiful Bones Without Hormones - Leon Root, MD
Exercises for Osteoporosis - Diane Daniels
Strong Women, Strong Bones - Miriam Nelson

There are many other books available on osteoporosis.

Sandi

I certainly agree with stepswoo about Lara Pizzorno's book "Your Bones". I found it to be the best I have read particularly regarding info on vitamins/minerals/supplements. I am looking forward to her new book coming out in March.

For those with digestive issues, I recommend "Natural Alternatives to Nexium, Maalox, Tagament, Prilosec & other Acid Blockers" by Martie Whittekin.

I recently read "Autoimmune, the Cause and the Cure" by Annesse Brockley. Lilypads recommended it in another thread. Great info on how the immune system works and how diet can help.

I haven't seen Better Bones, Better Body mentioned -- life-changing book for me! http://www.amazon.com/Better-Bones-Body-Estrogen-Calcium/product-reviews/06 58002899/ref=cm_cr_dp_qt_hist_two?ie=UTF8&filterBy=addTwoStar&showViewpoint s=0

I'm currently reading Preventing and Reversing Osteoporosis: what you can do about bone loss, a leading expert's natural approach to increasing bone mass by Alan R. Gaby, Three Rivers Press, 1994 ISBN 0-7615-0022-7. Although old, it is still very relevant and covers diet, food allergies, exercise, hormones and supplements with a clear chapter on each.

I would add "Vitamin K2 and the Calcium Paradox" by Dr. Kate Rheaume-Bleue to the list. It is a must read to understand how calcium gets where it needs to be -- or to where it should not be. Available as an e-book or in paperback.

Wheat Belly by Davis - explains the science of why in the last 50 years we are getting fat & sick. The food manipulation of man that isn't tested to be safe to eat afterwards.

I like:

The Complete Book of Bone Health
Mayo Clinic Guide to Preventing and Treating Osteoporosis

Because

I have had breast cancer and found Dr Diane L. Schneider's book, The Complete Book of Bone Health, the most helpful because her section on common problems and the connection with bone. She covered the risk of breast cancer treatments in detail as well as helpful advice for breast cancer survivors. Also went off Nexium I was taking for heartburn after reading the chapter on the harm of taking those type of medicines. The other book that is not as extensive as Dr Schneider's but I like is from the Mayo Clinic. Both up to date with the latest information. Suggest both for your bookshelf.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support NOF

Help the National Osteoporosis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Osteoporosis Foundation

Learn more about osteoporosis awareness and prevention

Discussion topics

Links and resources from NOF

Community leaders

Disclaimer

The National Osteoporosis Foundation would like to remind visitors and community members that the views and opinions expressed on this site are not necessarily those of NOF. Please consult your personal healthcare provider regarding any medical information that is shared on this site.