Bone Health and Blood Flow

An osteoporosis client of mine asked a very interesting question yesterday. She wanted to know if poor circulation could reduce her bone health.

This is an excellent question and is rarely talked about when it comes to improving bone health. Bone is a very metabolically active tissue. It requires a good blood supply to deliver oxygen, protein and minerals. But you rarely hear about the importance of your circulation as it relates to healthy bone.

A good test for your bone blood supply is your general conditioning levels. General conditioning, especially your cardiovascular and muscular strength can tell you a lot about the health of your bone blood supply.

The lower your score for general conditioning, the poorer your general circulation will be and the blood supply to the bone. A low blood supply to the bone will inhibit healthy new growth even when you may be eating properly and taking all the right supplements.

So make sure that the exercise program that you follow is personally designed for you and includes enough intensity to improve your conditioning, general circulation while providing a healthy blood flow to your bones.

If you have further questions or would like to join our support group please feel free to email me at bebonestrong@sequoiahealth.com.

Woody McMahon

Edited May 12, 2010 at 8:48 am

3 replies. Join the discussion

Thank you for this holistic perspective.
I am also interested in the point raised in some research that many have low bone density without getting fractures. That the 'culprit' with fracturing easily is poor micro-architecture of the bones. This, to me, argues for the importance of postural assessment as well as strategic exercises to correct structural imbalances (and of course to strengthen bone, and, as you point out, maximize blood circulation).

You are correct. Density of bones alone is only half the story. Just like concrete, a proper ratio must exist between the protein elements and the mineral elements of the matrix. Healthy bone is full of blood vessels. Reduce the blood supply and you literally starve the osteoblast and suppress their function.
Woody

hmmm....

Just wondering if a history of childhood anemia might contribute to osteo issues later in life?

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support NOF

Help the National Osteoporosis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Osteoporosis Foundation

Learn more about osteoporosis awareness and prevention

Discussion topics

Links and resources from NOF

Community leaders

Disclaimer

The National Osteoporosis Foundation would like to remind visitors and community members that the views and opinions expressed on this site are not necessarily those of NOF. Please consult your personal healthcare provider regarding any medical information that is shared on this site.