Best Times of Day to take Strontium, K-2, Magnesium, Calcium

I've just started my vitamin/supplement regimen with the hopes of reversing my osteo. I read several comments from others concerning the best time of day for taking various supplements, but can't find them. Is someone willing to "repeat" themselves for me? Now that we have the new tracking ability, I'll at least be able to come back to my post & follow. This site has really been a stress reliever for me in helping me to manage my newest "condition" and I appreciate you all! Thank you!!!

38 replies. Join the discussion

hi jonibabe
i'm interested too to find out when to take my supplements. i do take my strontium just before bedtime at night because you need a two hour calcium free period around that time. my problem is taking calcium. i find it really makes me feel nauseous. a couple hours after taking it. i've heard conflicting advice on which kind to take, carbonate or citrate. ( why do TUMS help stomach issues and not upset stomach)
also i thought i heard somewhere not to take calcium with vit c.
good luck with your treatment.
p.s. i'm also looking into human growth hormone for reversing osteo. i just posted an interesting article from science daily on this site. sounds interesting.

Hi Jonibabe, Just a little advice to you on how I solved the dilemma. I, too, found that taking my supplements on an empty stomach made me nauseated. I also know that you need to limit the calcium to 500 mg. at a time because the body doesn't properly utilize any more than that at a time. Sooo- I take my calcium (500 mg. and all other vitamin supplements AFTER my breakfast) I then take another 500 mg. of calcium AFTER my noon meal. Then I take the Stronium Citrate AT bedtime. I feel the best that way, and my results have been outstanding. I was severly osteoporotic 4 years ago and today I am in the normal range. Yeah!!! I take a multivitamin, magnesium, and vitamin D in the AM along with calcium after breakfast. I take calcium citrate for my calcium. I have also taken the calcium chews 2 years ago. Both worked for me. Both calcium and strontium bind at the same recepter site so you need at least 4 hours between a meal with calcium and when you take the strontium. I have seen posts on the site regarding taking magnesium at a different time from calcium, and that may be optimal, but I can't seem to remember all the different times, so I lump them together, and you can't argue with success. - It has worked for me. Charella

hi charella
i find that so encouraging that you have improved your scores. would you mind sharing them?

Hi Jonibabe, I improved my scores from a -3.5 to a -.04 in 4 years. I am continuing on the strontium citrate at bedtime (680 mg.) for another year, until I get into the + scores, then I will drop down to 340 mg. to maintain bone density. For me, it has been a miracle drug! My mother also was a -3.9 and now is into the + in her spine and -1.2 in the hips.( She is 95) It took the same 4 years for her as well. She plans to go with me to Hawaii this January. Good Luck to you. Charella

Thanks for your responses shiner1 and charella. Congrats to you, Charella, for improving your scores so much - I'm hoping to do the same :-) I convinced my doctor to let me try the vitamin/mineral regimen for 2 years until my next DEXA - so all input is very welcome. I don't want to take Rx if I can help it.

I bought Lara Pizzorno's book "Your Bones," which is the subject of another forum on this site. She says calcium hydroxyapatite is the best-absorbed form. I found it for sale yesterday at www.thecatalog.com, which also sells NOW Full Spectrum Mineral Caps, the only multiple mineral I've found that does not contain iron. Too much iron can be toxic in women past menopause.

Thanks, Lilypads. I haven't heard about that form of calcium before...I'll check into it. Joan

I'll type this straight from Pizzorno's book, p. 167.

Hyroxyapatite: sometimes appears as MCHC (microcrystalline hydroxyapatite). The most expensive form of calcium, hydroxyapatite is a complex crystalline compound in which calcium is linked with phosphorus in a preformed building block of the bone mineral matrix.

MCHC contains hydroxyapatite plus bone-derived growth factors and all the trace minerals that comprise healthy bone. Although research on hydroxyapatite as a source of calcium is limited, two studies have shown it to be more effective in the prevention of osteoporosis caused by taking corticosteroid patent medicines. 196 And a recent meta-analysis of 12 well-controlled trials comparing hydroxyapatite to calcium carbonate to prevent bone loss found hydroxyapatite increased bone mineral density 102% more than calcium carbonate! 197 (The numbers refer to notes in the back of the book.)

One more detail: the NOW Full Spectrum Mineral Caps contain 500 mg calcium (per 4 capsules) in the form of hydroxyapatite. Their Full Spectrum Mineral TABLETS contain both calcium carbonate & calcium citrate, but no hydroxyapatite, and also contain iron. Be very careful when ordering. The stock number for the CAPS is 1544. The www.thecatalog.com site is very sluggish.

Have you ever been on anything else or did you do this all with supplements ?

Dear Drugvictim,

I'm not sure if you're talking to me, but if so, I am taking only supplements (and VERY good nutrition) for my bones. I was told I had osteopenia when I had my last BMD, 5 years ago, after a year on prednisone. I'm due for another.

I have also been using progesterone cream for 15 years. I also take 50 mg. DHEA daily. (My endocrinologist was against it, but I had a lupus diagnosis and I overruled her.) I have a garden and grow a lot of greens--kale, broccoli, lettuce, radicchio (7 varieties), escarole, arugula, chard, bok choy, spinach. I eat them every night. Soups using bones with a little acid (tomatoes and/or vinegar) have good calcium content, canned salmon with bones is also good. The bones are soft. I make salmon salad.

There are people on this site who have reversed severe osteoporosis with supplements and bioidentical hormones. Exercise is also essential.

I recently learned about a food called natto. It contains Vitamin K in the most desirable form, as well as Vitamin PQQ, which is good for cognitive functioning in older people, and a fibroytic agent that prevents strokes. I made some natto last week. It was not difficult. In Japan it's often eaten for breakfast. There's a great article about it in Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natt%C5%8D and another on Dr. Mercola's site http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2005/05/17/aspirin-heart -part-four.aspx

Last week I got Lara Pizzorno's excellent book, "Your Bones." I highly recommend it. There's a forum about it on this site.

I also recommend Life Extension. They have a great website, www.lef.org, with much info on specific health issues, and if you join you will get their huge book, "Disease Prevention and Treatment," which has a chapter on osteoporosis. Their lupus protocol was very helpful to me. I am symptom free.

This, too, is an excellent site, and yes, osteoporosis is reversible. No need to be a victim.

Good luck.

Dear Charella,
Great scores. Were you on any meds? I am doing the natural route for a year and hope the density does not decrease.
Thanks.
Winespritzer

http://ncp.sagepub.com/content/22/3/286.full.pdf+html

Here is an article on calcium supplementation from 2007. This one does not recommend hydroxyapatite, saying it has been insufficiently studied. It does cover a lot of ground and may help in everyone's decision-making process.

I am just realizing that I posted a reply to your question within a different discussion. Big OOPS on me!
Too funny!

From here: http://www.osteoporosis-vitamins.com/osteoporosis-strontium.html
Osteoporosis and Strontium: Is it the New Magic Bullet?

SO WHAT IS THE CATCH?
Strontium is only effective when taken with 1,500 mg of calcium and 800 IUs of vitamin D …and this is where things become tricky. Calcium is absorbed best when taken in increments of 500 mg- preferably with meals and at least four hours apart. Strontium is best taken on an empty stomach before going to bed and definitely shouldn’t be taken with calcium. Calcium can reduce the bioavailability of strontium by 60-70%.

Sound complicated? Despite the very attractive improvements in bone density offered by treatment with strontium…many people are discouraged by the demanding regimen and the length of time it takes to improve their bone health. end linked material.
_____

Geez, i can embarrass myself so easily some days... (And THIS one has just begun). hehehe

"P"

im taking human growth hormone and from what i understand it should be relabeled to be a bone building drug.?????? im on my 2 month im having no negative reactions in fact alot of good side effects .

I've always heard that you absorb calcium best at night (info from Lane Labs), and so I always took my strontium first thing in morning (water and pills by bedside). I thought the stomach being totally empty that by the time it was after breakfast (which may include yogurt) I could take the calcium then or at lunch and if there was a larger dose of calcium, then at night after dinner. I improved my dexa scores that way (plus vit. k2).

Thanks for your input, Dogbone! I've been taking my calcium first thing and mid-day, then strontium at night. I think I'll give your sequence a try (it just does make lots of sense....).

With a diet like that, Lilypads, I can't wait to see your next dexa! Congratulations in advance!

You and me both. It's scheduled for Dec. 20. But I think I have not been taking enough calcium. I've been taking strontium for 6 years (middle of the night) and lots of magnesium. We'll see.

I don't think the calcium supplementation is critical. Dr William Davis says that calcium is dead last on his list, if at all. I don't always look at the discussions, on a daily basis, so I hope I don't miss the posting of your results.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support NOF

Help the National Osteoporosis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Osteoporosis Foundation

Learn more about osteoporosis awareness and prevention

Discussion topics

Links and resources from NOF

Community leaders

Disclaimer

The National Osteoporosis Foundation would like to remind visitors and community members that the views and opinions expressed on this site are not necessarily those of NOF. Please consult your personal healthcare provider regarding any medical information that is shared on this site.