Best time to take vitamins for maximum benefit

Recently had blood work done by gyno. Vit D level was 37, Calcium was 10. I take a multivitamin, fish oil capsule 2X a day, OsCal 600+D 2X a day, Vit D (1,000) once a day and other meds for HBP and cholesterol. Nurse told me to up my Vit D to 2,000 units. My question is when is the best time to take these? HBP, baby aspirin, multivit. fish oil (1) with breakfast - calcium (1) + Vit D(1) at lunch - calcium (1) + vit D (1) at dinner and cholesterol at bedtime? Could someone clarify this for me? The nurse said that taking my calcium in the am with the other pills is losing its effect...I also take Fosamax once a week. If the upper end of calcium is 10.75 will taking this calcium raise the calcium in my blood to a too high level?

21 replies. Join the discussion

Take your meds for BPand/or cholesterol, wait an hour or two, take your Vitamin D, Take your calcium with meals, and add magnesium at night to stop cramps and relax you. Or do whatever else makes you comfortable.

I thought magnesium had to be taken with food, and calcium should not be taken with breads or bran cereal. Vitamin D3 should be taken in the morning according to one post. I know there have been several postings about correct times to schedule supplements but not one definitive answer.

with a calcium level of 10 your moving into a bad area.
Heres a link to a website that is based on the paratyroid function. However it gives an excellant insight to how calcium works in your body sit back and be ready to read it's big. Your case maybe you should be taking K2 as MK7 to get that calcium in the bones where it belongs.

http://www.parathyroid.com/diagnosis.htm

So *when* is the best time to take Vit.D3? I've been taking mine just before bed with other supplements, are there supplements it shouldn't be taken with?

Your body metabilizes Vitamin D3 thru your skin when it is exposed to the sun and is transported through out your body by cholestrol. The rays from the sun that produce the most effective production of D happens between 11am to 2pm in the summer months. With this in mind I would say NOON would be a good time.
John

My endrocologist recommended taking the calcium at night since it is better metabolized during the nught time hours

Taking Calcium B4 Bed will probably do nothing more then raise the PH level of your stomach and intestines. Without the benefit of vitamin D it will not cross the blood gut barrier and not make it to the areas needed most. Some will make it in attached to food sources of Vitamin D the rest pass on thru. Without the proper amount calcium in the system the body goes to the reserves for more. Reserves being your bones.
Okay we eat, stomach acids go high, within 2 hours most food has been processed out of the stomach. Acids are still a little high we take Vitamin D and Calcium they dissolve rapidly, lower stomach acids slightly. Calcium is bound to Vitamin D in stomach and moves into the small intestines and starts being absorbed into the blood and transported to where the body calls for it. The vitamin K2 as MK7 we took earlier in the day has produced the necessary hormones to supress Osteocasts and promote Osteoblasts in the bones. Osteblasts are magnets for calcium and draw the calcium to the bones from the blood.
This is a very simplistic veiw of how calcium is transported to the bones.
By putting the Calcium-D into the stomach at the right time can have double benefits of lowering Stomach acids after they did their job with dinner and breaking down the calcium-D more completly for better absorption.

Hi lin14534:
I suggest my clients take their vitamins and minerals with food. Vitamin D is best absorbed with fat. The other post about comparing natural vitamin D to supplement vitamin D intake in the middle of the day is inaccurate. The processes are totally different. Also remember that healthy eating must go along with the supplements or they will not work very well.

I suggest looking at your program and comparing it to the suggestions below to see how you are doing. Reversing osteoporosis/osteopenia does take a comprehensive approach of lifestyle changes. I suggest 5 lifestyle changes to my clients.

These are:
1. A daily stress reduction program. This helps lower inflammation caused by high cortisol and homocysteine levels reducing calcium loss. Also normalizes bone building cells (osteoblast) function.
2. A diet that contains 50% fruits and vegetables. Fruits and veggies contain greater amounts of water and minerals with generally lesser amounts of animal protein.
3. Adequate water intake for maximum hydration. Water is very important in helping the kidneys regulate pH and detoxify the body.
4. Year round vitamin D3 levels in the 50-80 ng/mL (or 125-200 nM/L).
This should be confirmed by 25-hydroxyvitamin D testing.
5. Sufficient weight bearing exercise to stimulate balance and muscle growth which is essential for bone strengthening

If you have further questions or would like to join our osteoporosis support group please feel free to email me at bebonestrong@sequoiahealth.com.

Woody McMahon

Inaccurate I guess our goverment experts don't lnow what their talking about either?
Quote:
The factors that affect UV radiation exposure and research to date on the amount of sun exposure needed to maintain adequate vitamin D levels make it difficult to provide general guidelines. It has been suggested by some vitamin D researchers, for example, that approximately 5-30 minutes of sun exposure between 10 AM and 3 PM at least twice a week to the face, arms, legs, or back without sunscreen usually lead to sufficient vitamin D synthesis and that the moderate use of commercial tanning beds that emit 2%-6% UVB radiation is also effective [10,33]. Individuals with limited sun exposure need to include good sources of vitamin D in their diet or take a supplement.
Complete article from NIH.
http://dietary-supplements.info.nih.gov/factsheets/vitamind.asp

Johnwen, I think that is kind of a stretch though, as they don't say one HAS to take the vitamin supplement at that time, that's just the best time of day to get it free from the sun. :-)
---
Re: Calcium, my doctor suggested the one I take called Cal/Mag 50/50 be taken before bed. The Rebuild taken other times of the day. Someone here and later research mentioned our bodies can only absorb about 500mg at at time?

Personally, I can't take calcium supplements w/breakfast as they make me nauseous for some reason. So it is dinner and bedtime for me.
---
Re: Soy & Synthroid. As long as you wait 2 hours before & after taking your Synthroid you'll have no problem with soy, though calcium is a bigger problem with Synthroid than soy. Even though soy is fortified I've heard calcium sinks to the bottom of the carton and it takes vigorous shaking and that doesn't get it all back into solution.

I use a compounded version of Armour and recently found out soy does affect it, why I started taking it about 4am, tired of it messing up my soy mocha break. ;-)

Granted you can take any Vitamin or supplement any time that is convienant or comfortable for you. However wouldn't you even kind of suspect that if the body receivies it naturally at a particular time of the day due to enviromental factors that there might be a reason for this? I said, "Noon would be a good time." I made no implication that this Must be taken then. I just based it on what occurs naturally.

Thanks for all this good information!
I may be opening Pandora's box but would someone please let me know the name and manufacturer of a VERY high-quality calcium/Vit D supplement. The website that I normally order from has too many calcium supplements with "calcium carbonate" and that's just junk! Any feedback on K2 would be appreciated also!
Thanks everyone!!!

I read your posts regarding either Synthroid or Armour Thyroid. I take the latter, and I also wanted to know how long to wait after taking the Armour Thyroid does one have to wait to take any vitamins or supplements and why?

Thank you!

Margo

Hi Margo,

All I've read so far regarding Armour was to wait 2 hours before eating/drinking something w/soy. I seem to have this waking schedule of 1-2am and 4-5 am for some reason (hot flashes sometimes) so I take my strontium at 1-2 and the thyroid med at 4-5am, so there are no problems when I get up at 7am.

How are you doing regarding the shortage w/Armour? I just started my compounded version, and omgosh! I don't think I'll go back to Armour. I heard they changed the formulation in the spring and I didn't think it bothered me, but the last couple of days I've had a LOT more energy. That is the only thing that has changed in my eating/drinking or life scheduled, so it must be the med.

Hi Gatekeeper:
It actually isn't Armour but a compound Dr. Prudence Hall gave to me and I FAR prefer it to Synthroid. I am glad you are feeling GREAT and thank you for your answer.

Best

Margo

I was on a generic version of synthyroid for about 3 weeks and that was enough for me. I'm with you Margo, the compounded version of dessicated porcine thyroid is the only way to go.

Hi Johnwen~

Where I live, we don't get enough sun for Vitamin D synthesizing probably 9-10 months out of the year (I'm guessing July & August). Since reading the Vitamin D Cure by Dr. Dowd, I've periodically checked the UV rating where I live, and even on a sunny 73 degree day, our UV rating was only 1-2, probably due to the angle of the sun. He says you need about a 4 to do any good. I take a supplement, and the best time for sun exposure seems irrelevant in my case.

Susan

Without magnesium, neither the calcium nor the D will be absorbed correctly. Also remember that calcium can only be absorbed at about 500mg at a time. Split up any dosage larger than that.

I have read to stay out of the sun between 12pm, and 3pm..The rays of the sun are more harmful to your skin, and you'll have a better chance of getting skin cancer!!!

If I lay down after taking my Vitimans, it feels like there not digesting. Its like a lump, and I take them with food usually.

I do take my calcium , with D3, Mag, Omega 3, etc.,Doesn't the Omega 3 count for fat?

Folic acid keeps your homosistines (sp?) down/low,which is where you want it.

I am on Hormone Replacement Therapy with bio-identical hormones. I recently read that a small study (larger studies pending) showed it is beneficial to take Armour Thyroid at night--which delighted me. I have been doing this in the past few days. What a relief! Before I was taking my HRT upon awakening, waiting a few hours before taking Armour Thyroid, then having to wait again before eating breakfast. Now I take the calcium and magnesium in the afternoon and after dinner, thyroid medication before bed, and wait until I wake in the middle of the night at 3 am to take my strontium citrate.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support NOF

Help the National Osteoporosis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Osteoporosis Foundation

Learn more about osteoporosis awareness and prevention

Discussion topics

Links and resources from NOF

Community leaders

Disclaimer

The National Osteoporosis Foundation would like to remind visitors and community members that the views and opinions expressed on this site are not necessarily those of NOF. Please consult your personal healthcare provider regarding any medical information that is shared on this site.