Best brand of Vit. K2?

I'm going to purchase Vit K2, what brand is deemed safe? Is there any brand better than another?

What about Jarrow?

36 replies. Join the discussion

I purchase mine from Swanson Vitamins online. I currently purchase the Vit. D3 & K2 (mK-4) combo from them. Can't remember if it is the Natures Plus brand??? At any rate, browse around on their site. Good prices too. I purchase my Strontium from this site as well.
www.swansonvitamins.com

Donna

The best K-2 is Jarrow Mk-7 you can purchase it from Swanson Vitamins. Always remember to take it with food or at least with something that has a little bit of fat in it. Also it works best if you also take Vitamin D3 with it.

Hi Mollyfrey,

Jarrow is good. I have a bottle of their Lactoferrin. I have also purchased supplements from Swanson.

I have a bottle of Nature's Plus VIT D3/Vit K2. When I travel and don't want to take the liquid Mk-4, I would take the Nature's Plus. However, pls note that it's only 100 mcg of Mk-4. Having 0.1 mg is still much better than not taking any. If convenient, I would like to take at least 1 mg of Mk-4, with the goal of 3 to 5 mg of Mk-4 per day.

I would recommend Thorne liquid (1 drop = 1 mg) of Mk-4. You can get it from Amazon and many places.

If you want some Mk-7, the Vitamin K2 you may want to check into getting is Life Extension's Super K (it's very comprehensive). I take it twice a week or so. Taking it daily may cause build-up of Mk-7, as it stays in your blood stream for ~ 3 days. To avoid the build-up of Mk-7, I bought a bottle of Life Extension's Low-Dose Vitamin K2 (which is 45 mcg of Mk-7). You most likely can take this daily.

Back to Lactoferrin, I have found it to be very beneficial. In addition to building bones, it's anti-bacterial, anti-viral, etc. Just last week, a friend got a bad flu ..... And, it was more then 48 hours (a little late to see Doc. for Tamiflu). So, I recommended Lactoferrin. She took 2 capsules per day, and got all better! Completely recovered in 2 days ;-) btw, the brand which I have been taking for the past year, which is the same my friend took last week) is by Radiance, made in New Zealand. The Jarrow Lactoferrin should work also. It's a recent purchase as it costs much less, but the capsules are bigger. I also got Life Extension's Lactoferrin caps, which are the same size as Jarrow's capsules. Pls note that the capsules are not huge (they are size 0, which are smaller than size 00). Most folks can swallow size 00 without any trouble. I just prefer tiny pills.

Life Extension's Super K is a small softgel; and, the Low-dose K2 is a tiny softgel.

Hope this is helpful and not confusing,

> Sylvia <<<<<

I did some more research on Jarrow K-7 and yes it is does stay in your blood stream for 3 days but it is not harmful!! Studies in Japan used triple the amount and found no adverse effects. However, you can take it every other day if it makes you more comfortable. It does a very positive affect not just on bone density but for your heart as well since it prevents calcium deposits from buliding up on your atrteries.

Hi Petluv,

Are you referring to the Jarrow Formulas MK-7 -- 90 mcg ? Yes, you're correct that it should not be harmful, for most folks. Some folks do have unwanted side effects. Pls see "Vit K2-7 Heart Arrhythmias and Palpitations" discussion initiated by nathji · July 22, 2011.

http://www.inspire.com/groups/national-osteoporosis-foundation/discussion/v it-k2-7-heart-arrhythmias-and-palpitations/

The reply by wgr (August 14, 2011) provides a link which shows how 100mcg daily (3.5 day half-life) builds over time.

In addition, Nathji also started a related discussion "Controversy on Vitamin K either K2- 4 or K2-7 ??"

Petluv, I would be interested to read about the Japanese study which used 3 times the amount of Mk-7. So far, the studies I've read were using Mk-4, at 45 mg. btw, this is a very high dosage and I would not recommend taking it, without a Doctor's supervision.

Thanks,

> Sylvia <<<<<

You have to remember that everyone reacts to things differently. Just because one person or even two or three does not mean that it is not safe to take. It could be conficting with something else the person is either doing to taking along with Vit-K. Yes, I am refering to Jarrow K-7. I would have to find the information on the web regarding the study in Japan. When I do I will post it here at this website.

Hi petluv,

Thanks, I would be interested in reading the study. Meanwhile, pls see the recent discussion below:

Vitamin K2 as MK-7 (90 mcg) My Experience, by TennesseeKaren

https://www.inspire.com/groups/national-osteoporosis-foundation/discussion/ vitamin-k2-as-mk-7-90-mcg-my-experience/?msg_activity=reply_posted&reply_id =2765591

And, it's good to see wgr's graph which shows how 100mcg daily (3.5 day half-life) builds over time:

http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/6604/100mcgdaily.jpg

Pls beware that the amount reaches an asymptote of approx. 500 mcg, for a daily 90 mcg, after approx. 15 days.

> Sylvia <<<<<

Thank you for those links sylvia, that's scary. I bought OsteoBuild from Rainbow Light which has 45 mcg of K2 , not sure if it's Mk4 or 7, I'll check as soon as I get home. I saw the bottles of 90 mcg, but since I know Vit. K is used in the coagulation cascade I figured more was not better. The reason I went with 45 mcg is because that was what was used in the study I read about concerning Osteoporosis patients. I've only been taking it for about 5 or 6 days. Yesterday I did have a shooting pain in my left arm and it hurt worse when I took a deep breath. It went away after a minute or so but I bet I was passing a clot, that's a scary thought! Maybe I'll take an aspirin when I get home tonight.

I just looked at the Wikipedea entry for Vitamin K and looked at the studies sited in that article. It looks like the MK-4 is the only form of Vit. K that has shown any improvement with bone. One study used 45 mcg and one study used 45 mcg 3 times per day and found no increase in clotting risks. It would be wise to consult your doctor before you start taking it, like I should have done, haha.

Here's good information on Vitamin K

http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/infocenter/vitamins/vitaminK/

I also found a recent study done in the US concerning Vitamin K and postmenopausal women.

http://www.uwosteoporosis.org/

Hi Mollyfrey,

Thanks for the links. The lpi.oregonstate talked about 45 mg/day of menetetrenone, which is Mk4.

The Mk4 supplements are usually in higher dosages (come in milligrams), compared to the Mk7 supplements which come in micrograms. For example, the Throne liquid Vit. K2, Mk4, provides 1 mg per drop. The Carlson Vitamin K2, Menatetrenone (Mk4), are in 5 mg capsules. There are even Mk4 supplements at 15 milligram per capsule.

Sometimes, Mk4 comes in smaller amount (as little as 100 mcg), when combined with another vitamin. For example, Nature's Plus' Vitamin D with K2 only has 100 mcg (or 0.1 mg of Mk4). Life Extension's Super K has 1000 mcg of Mk4 and 100 mcg of Mk7 plus some K1.

In general, most of the supplements for Mk7 comes in micrograms, e.g. in 45 mcg, or 90 mcg, or 100 mcg. Your Rainbow Light Osteo-Build's Vitamin K2 is MK7 at 45 mcg. If you take 4 tablets per day, you would get 45 mcg of Mk7, which seems to be a safe dosage, for most folks. However, you may want to consider taking just 1 or 2 tablets per day, to avoid build-up.

If you feel any adverse side effect, you need to stop taking whatever may have caused it. btw, why not take Mk4 instead or in addition to a small dosage of Mk7 ?

Since 1 milligrams is equal to 1,000 micrograms (or 1 mg = 1000 mcg), Mk4 can be consumed at a much larger amount then Mk7. And, there are many studies on Mk4, showing good results for bone quality improvements (not necessarily density). I am taking 1 mg to 5 mg per day, using the Thorne liquid (trying to take 1 to 2 drops, twice per day). In addition, as I still have half a bottle of Super K, I take that once or twice a week only. It's good to avoid buildup. In the future, I plan to take the low-dose Mk7, which is 45 mcg, twice a week.

Hope this helps,

> Sylvia <<<<< ps. Mk4 only stays in our blood stream for 3 to 5 hours, while Mk7 stays for 3.5 days. That's why I try to take the Mk4 twice a day, but it's rather inconvenient since it's a liquid. . . . ps2. As you can see, I am rather conservative and believe that taking less may be better. For example, I would not recommend taking the 45 mg of Mk4 without your Doctor's supervision and approval. I believe taking 1 mg to 5 mg of Mk4 is beneficial and safe.

I'm going to look for something that has MK4 instead of the MK7. I got my vitamins at the Vitamin Shoppe here in town and I think most of what they had on the shelf was MK7. In the book "The Whole Body Approach to Osteoporosis" suggests taking up to 1 mg of MK4 then it mentions MK7 is a slow release version and should be taken in smaller doses but it doesn't give a specific dose.

I did read where Vit K may not show any improvement in BMD but it can decrease your risk for fracture, which to me is more important than increasing my BMD.

Regular Vitamin K is slightly helpful to bones but has not shown much advantage in research.

The MK-4 form of Vitamin K2 is very much involved in bone formation and in clearing calcium from the arteries and soft tissues, giving a strong reduction of 80% to 90% in bone breakage experienced by patients. Its best to take the MK-4 form of Vitamin K2 three times a day if you have life threatening bone loss, but helathy people can benefit from taking 1 mg to 5 mg once daily.

I also remember reading the study in Japan but am having a hard time finding it, I did find this link which sites some of the studies completed on Vitamin K which i found to be interesing. I also watched the youtube video mentioned in this thread which I thought was good.

http://www.kappabio.com/R-D/Vitamin-K-and-effects-on-osteoporosis.aspx

Sylvia, Here is a reply that addresses the MK-7 chart link you posted. Am only adding this for an additional viewpoint. I also take a little MK-4 and some of the MK-7. I have seen multi-vitamins with 200mcg of MK-7, but I feel like it is so stimulating I don't sleep well if I take more than 45mcg. I would really like to take more as I have plaque buildup in my carotids, so am definitely going to try to raise it up. I kinda like the fact that MK-7 comes from food, but Mk-4 is synthetically made.

Reply follows _ (copied from - Part2 "YourBones")
Hi 36879, This is great! What it verifies is that MK-7 builds up a reserve in the body so that it is continually available to carboxylate (activate) osteocalcin (which puts calcium into bone) and Matrix Gla-protein (which prevents calcium from depositing in arteries, heart, breasts, kidneys). I have seen other charts representing this data in research by Schurgers and Vermeer -- the 2 leading vitamin K researchers in the world who have been involved in all the major studies, including the work done in Rotterdam, which started the serious research into vitamin K. MK-4 is cleared out of the body within 6-8 hours. This is why in the research in which MK-4 was shown to be helpful, people had to take 15 milligrams every 6 hours (45 mg/day). And why the research on MK-7 shows we can take as little as 120 micograms a day to get benefit over time. No adverse effects have been shown in the research with MK-7, even at doses as high as 800 mcg/day.

36879, did you see Lara's post to me on your bones part 2, you might want to look into coq10. I'm ordering q absorb from Jarrow. I always verify recommendations and saw university studies supporting Lara's statement on this supplement. I'm assuming you may be taking a statin as well?

http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/coenzyme-q10-000295.htm

Thanks oldbonz, am seeing the cardiologist next month to get another carotid scan. He did not think a statin was in order last year as cholesterol was right at 200, but will see what it is this year. Good information though. I do read your posts about silica, which is a great supplement. I take ALTA silica, my nails are strong now, but strangely the leaky capillary red/puple blotches some of us older folks get, went away completely after a few months of silica. Outstanding! I have read the body converts silica to calcium and do need to read up more on that.

Hi Marilyn,

Thank you for bringing up Lara Pizzorno's reply. Lara is very knowledgeable and I have been learning from all the comments here, as well as from her book. We are so fortunate to have Lara providing us insights.

Regarding the MK-7 chart, I totally agree with Lara that it can be a good thing for you, if you want to keep a high level of Mk-7 in your blood stream. You just need to know that it does build up, since the half-life is approx. three and a half days. If you are taking 200 mcg of Mk-7 daily, the concentration may reach an asymptote at approx. 1000 mcg. Thus, it will be continually available to help you to prevent calcium from depositing in arteries ... as well as continually giving you unwanted side effects. Like you, I feel good in taking 45 mcg per day (using the low-dose Mk-7 from LEF). I still have some Super K, which has 100 mcg. If I take the Super K, I will not take another one for 3 days.

Marilyn, Sorry to hear that you have plaque buildup in my carotids. To avoid the unwanted side effects (which I believe is a way of your body telling you what you need to do or not do), why don't you try to get the vitamins from food? Lara provided a nice chart in the "Vitamin K2: Optimal Levels Essential for the Prevention of Age-Associated Chronic Disease" paper. Pls see excerpt below:

"Micrograms of Vitamin K Present in Foods (mcg in 100 g)
Food ____ K1 ____ MK-4 _____ MK-7,8,9
Meats ___ 0.5-5 ____ 1-30 _____ 0.1-2
Fish _____ 0.1-1 ____ 0.1-2 _____
Green vegs __ 100-750
Natto ________ 20-40 _________ 900-1200
Cheese _____ 0.5-10 __ 0.5-10 __ 40-80
Other dairy __ 0.5 15 __ 0.2-15 __ 0-35
Eggs _______ 0.5-2.5 __ 10-25 ___ "

Natto is an excellent sauce of Mk-7. We can get the pack with 3 little containers in most Asian grocery store's frozen section. Usually, the little container has 50 grams of natto. I normally would eat half of the 50 grams, getting 250 mcg of Mk-7. This amount from food seems to be very agreeable with my system. In addition, for the days when natto is not convenient, you may want to eat more cheeses. According to Chris Masterjohn: hard cheese provide over 70 mcg of Mk-7 per 100 grams, soft cheeses provide over 50 mcg/100g, while curd cheeses provide about 24 mcg/100 g.

btw, I would still recommend getting some Mk-4, to improve bones and prevent fracture. As for the food source, Stephan G said that MK-4 is only found in animal products. The best sources known are grass-fed butter from cows eating rapidly growing grass, and foie gras. I take Mk-4 supplements of 1 mg to 5 mg per day. Since organ meats are supposed to be rich in Mk-4, I ate a few chicken hearts at a Brazilian steak house last month, but I prefer the other meats ;-)

The strange thing is that I am beginning to like natto, as well as foie gras ;-)

> Sylvia < < < < <

Here's a detailed article by Lara Pizzorno about Vitamin K2.

http://www.lmreview.com/articles/view/Vitamin-K2-Essential-for-Prevention-o f-Age-Associated-Chronic-Disease/

I bought Vitacost Ultra Vitamin K with Advanced K2 complex. One a day in the morning (I've heard it can be energizing, so best not to take it at night).

It contains both MK4 and MK7, as well as K1.

By the way, I don't think there is a safety issue with Vitamin K, unless you are taking Coumadin, in which case, you need to coordinate with your doctor regarding dosage of the Coumadin (or other blood thinner).

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support NOF

Help the National Osteoporosis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Osteoporosis Foundation

Learn more about osteoporosis awareness and prevention

Discussion topics

Links and resources from NOF

Community leaders

Disclaimer

The National Osteoporosis Foundation would like to remind visitors and community members that the views and opinions expressed on this site are not necessarily those of NOF. Please consult your personal healthcare provider regarding any medical information that is shared on this site.