Backbone "Clicking"

Hi,

I was recently diagnosed with osteoporosis, and I've noticed that when I bend forward or twist my body....ever so slightly....my backbone makes a clicking sound! It doesn't hurt at all but I'm concerned that it will be painful in the future because it might be causing damage to the bone.
Has anyone else had this experience? If so, what was the diagnosis?
I told my PCP about it 6 months ago, and she ordered X-rays of my spine. After that she said there was some arthritis in the spine. Would that cause the clicking?
I'd like to hear from anyone if you've had this same experience and to know your
diagnosis.
Thanks, Linda

31 replies. Join the discussion

PLEASE!
Do not bend forward or twist your trunk. This puts too much force on your vertebrae.
I cannot comment on the clicking, but whether exercising or doing your daily chores and such, please keep your back all in a line -- head to butt -- and bend from your hips and knees.
These precautions are repeated in this site and on other sites as well.
Lucy Buckley PT

Hi Lucy,

I get the clicking too actually more like a crack. I know we are not suppose to bend over and I try not to now that I know better but when i walk or stand for a long period of time I so want to bend over and stretch,,,,it feel so good. Whey would that feel like it's relieveing pressure and making me feel better?
Dee

When you have been standing for awhile, your back extensors -- that straighten your back and help keep you balanced on your feet -- get tired and stiff.
Bending over stretches these muscles. Fine for a limber, young body -- BUT -- depending on the condition of the muscles and certainly the spine -- damage can be done. Better to stretch in a gravity-eliminated position, such as lying on your back with knees bent and feet flat. Bringing one knee at a time towards the chest -- holding for a count of 30. Then both, if that can be managed. There are a few other ways to stretch the back muscles more safely than bending over from the waist -- or reaching for one's toes.
Lucy Buckley PT

I've been doing floor mat pilates for a while now and like the idea of strengthing my "powerhouse". But I get the clicking in my lower vertebrae, followed later by strain pain low on either the left odr right sideof my spine and it doesn't go away quickly. I have found that if I do the modified version offered by Ana Coban's assistant (with legs at table top angle rather than the more challenging perpendicular angle, the clicking doesn't occur. Though it's not as rigorous a workout as I like, it is definitely preferable to the pain that occurs following the more challenging version. This is the only time I've had the clicking in my lower back and for me it's been a signal to ease up a bit.

Linda

Hi, I am older than you, 72. I have arthritis of the back which probably began after some falls. I don't hear a click in the back, but sometimes feel one. Bones tend to loosen and if you have osteoporosis that will continue. Leaning over is not good. If you can still squat, do so. I can't. Can you take Fosimax/ My stomach does not allow it. I take miacalcin in the nose. It does help.

Linda- I get that clicking too! I'm 48, just got diagnosed in May and have bad scores: -3.6 in my spine. There's no pain like you said but it skeeves me out.... just shoulder-checking when I'm driving makes it happen. Did you ever get an answer from your doctor? My ob-gyn said that I should see an orthopedist when I asked him about it.
Dawn

Hi,
I also noticed an increase in "creaking" since I was dx in May. I'm 53. My T-score in spine is - 3.2. I have not had any fractures. Of course, every little ache, pain, or even "creak" I get nervous now.

Thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts and experiences with me. I certainly will try not to twist or bend my spine in the future. Hopefully this will help.
KalisMom

I have that clicking sound in my neck! Doesn't hurt, but I can turn my head, or straighten up, and it just clicks away...

Jill

Hi,
well since so many of you have the same experience I thought I would add to the growing number of clicks. Yeah, when I experience the clicks it also feels like my spine is re-aligning itself. The vertabrae just pop,pop and pop somemore. I need to find some safe back muscle exercises so that the muscles will support the bones better. Can anyone refer "us" to a good video, book,ect.? Sorry I couldn't really answer the orginal post inquiry but together we may come up with the answers.

A friend

sdivas,
thank you for your help and quick response. I'll check it out.

I am surprised to see all the comments that say no bending or twisting. I was diagnosed with osteoporsis 9 years ago (I'm 65) and have taken yoga ever since. I had the noise (clicking) in my back at first but rarely have it any more. I love yoga. Think it has benefited me in so many ways. Can't imagine never doing it. I never thought I could be harming myself by the twisting and bending. I do it all.

I recently started having the exact same clicking sounds. I couldn't believe your entry today, Linda, about the very same thing. I spoke with my doctor (who has been my friend and neighbor for 34 years) and he said not to worry about it. It is sometimes a result of the bones in your spine being out of alignment and if it does not cause pain, I should not worry. Mine does not hurt at all but I was unable to make it happen when the doctor wanted to hear it. I notice that if I run on my treadmill at a 7 degree or more angle, it seems to get worse, so I have backed off on the degree of incline. That seems to help. I've also started cycling/spinning as another form of aerobic exercise to try and lessen this condition. Often when it occurs, if I stand up straighter or bend over a bit, it stops clicking.

Just for the record, I am 61, a compulsive exerciser, was in the 10% of people who did not get better on Fosamax (after 6 years), went on Forteo for 2 years, and have now improved from osteoporotic to osteopenic as a result of the Forteo.

I have severe osteoporosis at -4.1 and I have been doing these exercises for 5 years and so far have no fractures. "Bone Building Body-Shaping workout" by Joyce L. Vedral, Ph.D. The exercises are designed for women.

Good luck!

I click alot. Sometimes it freaks me out a bit, other times, when I am stretching, it is a positive and relaxing feeling. The yoga position Ardha Chandrasana is an especially rewarding posture to stretch and click without any weight on the joints and not too much twisting or bending over. I find it hard to believe I'm doing myself harm with this. I get aches and pains in my hips and lower spine. I like to think the clicking helps, maybe I'm wrong, but it certainly doesn't seem to make it worse.

I have had osteoporosis for 18 years. I am now 49 years old. I had initially had 2 compression fractures in my spine and a t score of -3.9 in my spine. When I used to lay down, not only could i hear the clicking but i could feel my whole spine moving. It always felt right after this happened. This continued for years. I have always felt it stopped moving when it healed. I still have the cracking in my back when i lean against something. I still think my spine is adjusting itself to a little bit straighter of a position. As severe as my spine is, I have very little back pain which is strange since I do have a hump on my back.

Hi Gimmebone,
after reading the posts of other people who have T-scores similar to mine I feel empowered! Not alone is a good feeling ! It's good to hear good news and read about how each of you are taking charge of your health care. Thank you for book suggestion and I will order it. My T-score is -3.3 and the lowest score is in every vertbrae of my spine. I'm in my sixties. Would like to join friends group or have one contact at least?lol. But I'll read about how to go about that now that I've found other ladies with similar scores and challenges. Thanks again for book suggestion.

Hi Creakylim,

Some extra thoughts when lifting weights with our condition; I took it real slow. No sudden movements. When lifting weights always keep the body symmetrical, move smoothly. After lifting them, I put them down slowly, bending knees, keeping the back straight. If you feel off-balance, always support yourself with your hand on a solid surface and if it feels good, do it. But most of all if it hurts STOP! I am now comfortably lifting 20lbs and that is my limit. My body is nicely toned and I feel strong and able to be in control of my body. It took several months to reach 20lbs, so be prepared to work at it a little at a time as rushing will work against your goal. Enjoy the feel of your muscles getting stronger and feel more confident in your stride!

Take good care.

Thank you for the wise councel and I will take it very easy. I really appreciate your help...now I just need is a person to keep me on track! lol. Accountability starts within...soooo, I'll work on that too.lol. I'll keep in mind the goal...a nicely toned body that is supporting my skeletal structure better. You fired me up...now to get busy. I'll keep you posted.

I am so happy to have found this site- I was just diagnosed a few weeks ago with severe osteoporosis of the spine and I've been doing my research. I am interested in everything you folks have to share. I have had some clicking in my neck with sudden movements but no pain. I am just learning about exercises but my biggest "pain" problem is sitting for anymore than a half hour- I sometimes get pain in my hip and wish I could find a good seat cushion that I could use at work and while driving. Any ideas?

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support NOF

Help the National Osteoporosis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Osteoporosis Foundation

Learn more about osteoporosis awareness and prevention

Discussion topics

Links and resources from NOF

Community leaders

Disclaimer

The National Osteoporosis Foundation would like to remind visitors and community members that the views and opinions expressed on this site are not necessarily those of NOF. Please consult your personal healthcare provider regarding any medical information that is shared on this site.