Atypical Femur Fractures

Hi
Need some advice really has anyone out there suffered a femur fracture,I have been having pain in my groin for about the last 8 weeks its bad when I get up from a kneeling position,after weeding the garden ect ,I also have pain in my thigh but like I suppose many people out there I think am I making a fuss about nothing.I have been refered to a doctor as I have developed bone spurs/ganglions on my feet,and now this, I sometimes wonder if I am becoming a hypochondriac as after being diagnosed 14 years ago and being prescribed most of the bisphosphonates the last one being Reclast I have had nothing but one side effect after another jaw pain stomach problems a lot of pain and eye problems after Reclast. Doctors put all the aches and pains down to arthritis which I never had before? anyway how long should I wait before going back to the Doctors yet again? Rozanne

17 replies. Join the discussion

I would recommend going back to the doctor and asking for an xray of your groin/thigh area. If you have a fracture then hopefully it will show up on the xray and you can get treatment. Do you have any known back disc problems? Sometimes referred disc pain can feel like you have a broken bone. I have this sometimes and I'm sure my ankles/feet aren't broken but the nerve pain is very delibiltating. You can be tested for arthritis so I'd ask about that if your doctor insists you have arthritis. I'd go back to the doctor right away to get these symptoms addressed.

Hi
Thanks for the reply wear and tear on the disc showed up when I had a scan some time ago so hopefully the pain may be from that I have been told I have osteo arthritis and there are no tests for this only for rheumatoid arthritis but thankyou for the advice

I have osteo arthritis also in several joints. I can't take antiinflammatory meds but if you can that should help decrease the inflammation and pain. For some joints you can get steriod shots even though it's not good for the bones. Having multiple medical issues can be overwhelming but just take one a time and get it evaluated and treated.

No I cant take them I have a tens machine that helps alot, once again thanks for the reply I have a very caring family but sometimes its good to talk to people who have the same problems.

Rozanne:

I am having these same issues and I just came back from Maryland, speaking before the FDA on the effects of Reclast to the Board in an attempt to get the FDA to remove Reclast from the market or at the very least issue warnings on the drug to let people know of the damaging effects that it has to people. While I was there I spoke to Dr. Jennifer Schneider, who was on a subway and experienced an atypical femure fracture. She spoke at the meeting, along with about 8 others that also had similar experiences. According to Dr. Schneider, atypical femur fractures will not show up on typical x-rays. You need to have a bone scan in order to determine if you do have a fracture.

I would suggest getting in contact with Dr. Schneider and asking her to send you the links to her articles. I attempted to do so but couldn't figure out how to send them as they are PDF files that she sent me. Another way you can look them up is that they were published in the Geriatrics January 2009, Volume 64, Number 1, pg 18-23 on the first article. You can look it up at www.geri.com. The second article also was at the same Geriatrics Library at www.geri.com. This article was published in the January 2006 edition, Volume 61, Number 1, pgs. 31-33.

Send me a friend request and I will gladly send you Dr. Schneider's email address if you so desire it. Best of luck to you. I know what it is like to have that kind of pain. It It is scary and excruciating at the same time. Right now they are unsure if mine is coming from my back, or my pelvis, or my hip. Hopefully I am going to have an MRI on both areas to figure out what is going on. But getting a doctor to order one is like pulling teeth. Hopefully I have finally got to that point. Best of luck to you and if I can be of any further help, please let me know.

Sincerely,

CubbieFan2308

That sounds like the pain that is had with osteoarthritis of of the hip. An xray will tell you just exactly what it is.

Rozanne,

you are an example of the reason why I have refused all drugs for my osteoporosis. Its like, if one thing doesn't get you, another will. Good luck with this problem!

I experienced thigh pain for several months prior to a spiral fracture to my right femur. I knew nothing about the problems that osteo drugs could cause and simply thought the pain was from the knee replacement I'd had. The break has taken 2 yrs to heal and I'm still in a wheelchair most of the time. I had groin pain on the left prior to the break, an xray showed that I needed a hip replacement. I was in the middle of schedueling that surgery when I experienced my spontanious spiral fx or the right femur. If you are having groin pain, it may be your hip. I would head to the doctor ASAP!!!! Good luck and God's blessings sent your way.
Karen

Hi
Thankyou so much for your reply I found it very interesting I will certainly check out the links you have given me,and yes it is scary to think that your bones can just snap. I have a GP here in the UK who knows absolutely nothing about osteoporosis,so I do have to battle to get anything done, I am seeing a consultant about the bone spurs/ ganglions on my feet soon but it just seems one thing after another.I telephoned Novartis to report this side effect but no one was there to take the call and of course no one called back.I did speak to someone in 2010 about my eyes and she wished me all the best they just dont want to know.How do I send a friend request?have clicked on your name but cant see a way of doing it.I noticed that I have a lot of your complaints osteo,asthma,copd,osteoarthritis, and of course the reclast, maybe this is why we and others have had such bad reactions to the drugs.Good luck with your MRI scan I hope things go well for you.

Hi
Thanks for the reply osteoarthritis would be preferable to a fracture time will tell.

Hi thanks for the reply hindsight is a wonderful thing, if only I could have known then what I know now.Good luck with your decision,fourteen years ago I thought the Doctors new best.

Hi so sorry to hear about all of your problems,it is so frustrating to have persevered with all of the drugs over the years with all of the side effects only to learn that the drugs can cause what they were supposed to prevent. Thanks for your good wishes and may I wish you the same.

Rozanne:

Getting a bone scan or an MRi here in the US is like pulling teeth. The insurance company sent me for the consult for the scan but now I have to go thru a whole raft of red tape to get approval from them for the scans. In the meantime my pain has increased to the level that I have had to resort to walking with a cane and really should be using a walker but I ent all of mine to my mom and really don't want to ask for them back when she needs them so much.

How you send a friend request is you go to my name and you click on it. It wil give you three coices. I believe w is to send the person a message, one is to send a friend request and another is to do something that I can't reember. What I'll do is I'l send you one instead so thay will make it easier. Will that work?

You are right that we have a lot of the same maladies since taking reclast. When was your infusion? Mine was may 27, 2010 and I'm still getting bone spurs from it and all sorts of other reactions.

Well, I'll send you that request.

Sincerely,

CubbieFan2308

I woke up one morning with a slight sharp pain in my groin. But as the weeks went by it got worse and worse. My walking was a lumber and very painful. Finally I went to the urgent care unit here as I couldn't get into my regular doctor and they did movement tests and decided I hadn't fractured my hip, but they did an x-ray and nothing was seen on it. Gave me muscle relaxers which did nothing so six days later I went back in and the doctor ordered an MRI saying it would be clearer picture than a CAT. That was to my liking since I have been exposed to more radiation that the law of life allows. The MRI showed that I had multiple fractures of my pelvis. Many time those don't show up on x-rays especially if they are not displaced fractures. I am not saying you have a fracture in your pelvis, but it is something to keep in mind. I would not wait to go see a doctor again. It has taken me nearly a year to get my issues of pain addressed and numerous doctors. They tend to think of us as a bit hysterical I suppose. Now they all take me very seriously as I have not insisted on my issues being taken seriously and as it turned out they all were very serious and worsened the original condition. Good luck!

Hi thanks for taking the time to reply to my post, I know what you mean about having lots of x-rays they dont always see what is going on.Sounds like you have had a very bad year what sort of treatment is there for a fractured pelvis?and how long will you take to heal?I keep thinking maybe it will just go away as I know from experience how long pulling a muscle or a tendon can take to heal.Have you taken Recast?

I went to the orthopedic surgeon who said there was nothing that could be done for the multiple fractures in my pelvis since the pelvis was disintegrating due to the osteoporosis but mostly due to the eight weeks of radiation treatments I had had. He said that he had no idea of how long it would take for the pelvis to mend. Under normal circumstances it would be from six to 12 weeks, but due to the circumstances he said it would be months and even then somewhat suspect as to whether it would heal and then if it would heal properly. I think that some pelvis fractures can be surgically helped, but you have to have some solid bone to pin things together and that I don't have. No, I have not taken any of the bisphosphanates, but I am taking strontium and calcium along with other supplements aimed at bone building. I have to use a walker to go to the potty room and to the kitchen for food, other than that I am to stay off of it unless I use the wheelchair. So the main treatment is to stay off of it, except for the two instances as there must be some walking done in order for the bone to model properly. I was just diagnosed with "unusually severe osteoporosis" last winter, I think February. Since I also had severe osteomalacia (low Vit D) my bones haven't had a good chance to make a come back if they are going to do so.

Hi thanks for your reply,sounds as though you are really having a bad time, seems that most things that happen with osteoporosis take around six weeks or more to heal,I hope you have plenty of help as it sounds as though you can't do a lot at the moment, and I know how frustrating it can be not to be able to do anything.I hope things get better for you soon and you dont take to long to heal take care.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support NOF

Help the National Osteoporosis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Osteoporosis Foundation

Learn more about osteoporosis awareness and prevention

Discussion topics

Links and resources from NOF

Community leaders

Disclaimer

The National Osteoporosis Foundation would like to remind visitors and community members that the views and opinions expressed on this site are not necessarily those of NOF. Please consult your personal healthcare provider regarding any medical information that is shared on this site.