Almond Milk and Almonds

Hi, I was drinking almond milk and eating almonds
but I stopped because I read that they are acidic
and maybe not good for bones.
Does any one know about this?
Judy:-)

20 replies. Join the discussion

Hi there,

I consume about an ounce of almonds per day.
Can't comment on almond milk but this list may answer your question.
http://www.rense.com/1.mpicons/acidalka.htm

Hi Caff55,
Thank you so much for your reply. The list is very helpful and answered my question about
almond milk.

Calcium carbonate is alkali and offsets acid (that is why it is the active ingredient in TUMS). Acid/base tolerance by the human body is extremely adaptive and I doubt a few glasses a day of almond milk is going to disturb your bone/calcium balance anywhere near as much as the stress (increased acid production, cortisol production, etc) of worrying about does.
'Dont worry, be happy' may just be the best medical advice.

I just bought some PH test strips yesterday and I understood that almonds were alkaline not acidic and the website below says so too:

http://www.genuinehealth.com/skin/frontend/default/genhealth/pdf/ph_brochur e_revised_en.pdf

Almonds or processed almond milk may be different in pH. I have no idea of what is involved in processing into a slurry and packaged in a manner that prevents spoilage while unrefridgerated. But unless your diet is only almonds or almond milk, the pH of such a small part of a day's food consumption is irrelevant and much ado about nothing. If it tastes good, enjoy it. As Burt Wolfe once remarked "There are no bad foods and no good foods, just inappropriate amounts."

All I can say is almond milk has more calcium & less fat than regular milk and it taste pretty good! Especially on cereal!

If you look at the link provided by caff55 you can see that BOTH sides have foods we should all be consuming...just don't go overboard in one area.

Here is a website I found on Google for you..but there are many more, that say that Almonds are healthy,
and good for our bones

http://thealkalinefoods.com/alkaline-foods/almonds

This is a little of what it said..

Almonds are also alkaline forming foods. Alkaline is essential to be consumed by our body because it compensates the acid that we have in the body system. The normal pH reading that our body must have is between 7.35 to 7.45. The neutral pH reading is 7. If the pH balance is below 7, then it means it is acidic. When it is acidic, there is a limited supply of water and oxygen in the body. However, then the pH balance is higher than 7, it means that it is rich in alkaline. The higher the pH reading the better it is because it means that there is enough supply of oxygen and water in the body.

That said, click on the website..

April

April995, Thanks for the website.
Very good information! It has become one of my favorite saves!

Oh, I am so happy. I'm going out to buy more almonds
and almond milk tomorrow. I really missed them both.

Thank you all so much for taking time to reply and give such
good information!

More calcium -- but a lot less protein. As a vegetarian, I'm thinking I may have to go back to milk. :-(

Sometimes I mix the two together in the glass, lol. Still tastes good! They also have a coconut/almond blend. A bit strong on the coconut, but good. Still like just plain almond the best.

Judy BKM - Not getting enough protein is quite rare, even for those who do not eat any animal products. I have never heard of a documented protein deficiency except among those suffering from true malnutrition. Some even theorize that excess protein is one factor that interferes with correct bone metabolism.

ewcollins, I don't disagree with your comment "not getting enough protein is quite rare." I was just thinking that I might be better off with the extra protein milk has to offer. (Obviously, I'm not vegan. :-) )

Judy BKM - Despite what I have always been told by the dairy and meat industries, I am not sure that there is any benefit to getting a little extra protein.

See http://www.acefitness.org/fitnessqanda/fitnessqanda_display.aspx?itemid=272 where it says:

"Excess protein has also been shown to lead to an increase in the loss of urinary calcium. A chronic calcium loss, due to excess protein intake, is of particular concern because it may increase the risk of osteoporosis, especially in women."

I have eaten sufficient protein all of life, and although it may have not contributed to my osteoporosis, it certainly did not prevent it.

ewcollins: I'm not thinking in terms of "excess protein" -- just ensuring I'm getting enough. What I really should do is track the amount of protein I'm ingesting.

Someone lent me a raw recipe book and this is a way to make almond milk... You soak 3/4 c unpasteurized almonds (I think the ones that say raw in CA are actually pasteurized and the point of the unpasteurized is to get the enzymes which would be destroyed by heat) in 2-4 cups of water like all night. Then rinse them and add more water and blend and then you strain it with a "milking bag". You can add more water and reblend with whatever flavorings or sweetners you like.

Judy BKM - As part of my Complete Metabolic Panel (12/15/2012):

Protein (total) - 6.4 g/dL (reference range - 6.2-8.3 g/dL)
Albumin - 4.4 g/dL (reference range - 3.6-5.1 g/dL)

I am satisfied that my protein intake is sufficient.

My Daughter is vegetarian. She eats allot of Soy for protein which is crap.
I was looking up about protein, and found we do eat Too much protien, even vegetarians thinking there
not eating enough.

Too much protien is hard on your kidneys and robs your bones of calcium.
Pasteurized milk and Dairy is just another type of Processed food which was never good for
anyone...
Even though Almond, Rice etc. milk is processed, it still is a better alternative then anytype of Dairy.

They say (don't know who They are) eating 7 to 10 raw almonds everyday is suppose to keep cancer at bay.

April995, I am happy about the almonds. I will start eating them again, thanks to all of you!

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support NOF

Help the National Osteoporosis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Osteoporosis Foundation

Learn more about osteoporosis awareness and prevention

Discussion topics

Links and resources from NOF

Community leaders

Disclaimer

The National Osteoporosis Foundation would like to remind visitors and community members that the views and opinions expressed on this site are not necessarily those of NOF. Please consult your personal healthcare provider regarding any medical information that is shared on this site.