algaecal user

I have been using Algae cal plus and strontium boost for several years. I had bone scan several years ago and was diagnosed with osteoporosis. I began talking algae cal plus along with strontium boost. After two years I had another scan and I had grown new bone. I continued taking the algae cal and the strontium and again after two years had a bone scan. My Doctor said that I was so improved on every line that he was down grading me to osteopenia .I have read all of the negative reviews and find them quite surprising.

Edited October 31, 2013 at 6:17 pm

Reply Report post

124 replies. Join the discussion

Grown three inches of new bone? How was that determined? Are you now three inches taller?

Reply Report post

That's very positive news, this is one of the suppliments I have been considering buying , do you get any side effects at all?

Reply Report post

Well done Deesie for taking AlgaeCal Plus. In early 2010 I was diagnosed with severe Osteoporosis and 4 fractured vertebrae with a T Score of -3.7. I had the procedure of vertebroplasty (bone cement) put in 3 of the vertebrae. I started taking AlgaeCal Plus and only took Strontium occasionally. In 2011 my T Score was -3.1. In 2013 latest T Score -2.1. This is out of the Osteoporosis Zone.
I also use a Rebounder most days, just for a few minutes and attend a Pilates Class to keep me flexible. I am no longer young and want to keep active ;)
Always do your own research and go for what feels right for you with the least side effects!

Reply Report post

No I have not. I feel very lucky to have found this product.

Reply Report post

I take garden of life, about the same way you take algae cap, two years ago by bone indensity went up, this year I took prolia and had to stop do to very bad groin pain, waiting to find out my bone score.

Reply Report post

No side effects with AlgaeCal Plus as it is a plant based product, just google it for info.

Reply Report post

Me, too -- AlgaeCal greatly improved my BMD within 6 months. I believe it is because it does not just supply calcium, but calcium within the matrix of all the trace minerals used by this species of marine algae to build its bony structure. Many trace minerals play helpful roles in our bones. Also, AlgaeCal Plus contains vitamins D3 and K2, magnesium and boron -- all of which are needed for healthy bones. When I began using AlgaeCal, I was already doing everything else (vitamin D3, K2, magnesium, boron, etc.) so the only thing I changed was the source of calcium I was using; it made a significant beneficial difference for me. I continue to use it.
And just in case someone suggests otherwise, I do NOT work for AlgaeCal. I am not paid to promote their products. I use AlgaeCal because it works for me!

Reply Report post

Thanks Lara, the Uk supplier I have found is out of stock until December but I think I will hang on till then and get some.

Reply Report post

deesie, That's great. Just curious, do you take any other supplements besides the algaecal and the strontium? Do you supplement with extra D3 and K2, or just get what you need through the algaecal? Thanks.

Reply Report post

Another AlgaeCal fan here. I'm going to post support for the product as it is helping me too. Lara, interesting thought about trace minerals.

Reply Report post

I take a multi vitamin and Omega 3 both by Andrew Lessman

Reply Report post

Just wondering if there have been any trials/studies on the benefits of algaecal. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Reply Report post

I take additional D3 because my vitamin D receptors don't work well (a genetically inherited issue), so I require much more vitamin D than the mythical "average" person. I need 10,000 IU per day to get my blood levels of 25(OH)D (the indicator of a person's vitamin D status) into decent range (optimal range is 60 -780 ng/mL). Because I require more D3, I also require more K2 -- these two nutrients work together and both are essential for healthy bones. Vitamin D increases the body's ability to absorb calcium; vitamin K2 activates the proteins that pull calcium into bone (osteocalcin), and just as importantly for our health, keep calcium OUT of arteries, kidneys, breasts, brain (matrix Gla protein).
Yes, there are several peer reviewed medical studies showing AlgaeCal's beneficial effects that are listed on PubMed; I discovered AlgaeCal because I am constantly reading the breaking research related to bone health and came across these studies. Here are the references for the papers that first attracted my attendion:
Adluri RS, Zhan L, Bagchi M, et al. Comparative effects of a novel plant-based calcium supplement with two common calcium salts on proliferation and mineralization in human osteoblast cells. Mol Cell Biochem. 2010 Jul;340(1-2):73-80. Epub 2010 Mar 7. PMID: 20213262
Michalek JE, Preuss HG, Croft HA, et al. Changes in total body bone mineral density following a common bone health plan with two versions of a unique bone health supplement: a comparative effectiveness research study.Nutr J. 2011 Apr 14;10:32. PMID: 21492428
Kaats GR, Preuss HG, Croft HA, et al. A comparative effectiveness study of bone density changes in women over 40 following three bone health plans containing variations of the same novel plant-sourced calcium.Int J Med Sci. 2011 Mar 2;8(3):180-91. PMID: 21448303

Reply Report post

Lara - You may have posted this before, and I have not read the books in awhile. Did you or do you take strontium citrate? If so can you separate out the effects of the algaecal from it? Thank you so much for contributing to this forum!

Reply Report post

Recommended dosage for AlgaeCal Plus is 4 capsules daily. This is what I take -- 2 in the morning before breakfast when I brush my teeth, and 2 at night when I brush my teeth.
I take Strontium citrate -- also AlgaeCal's product -- but not every day. As my bones are now barely osteopenic (and may not even be in osteopenic range any longer -- I won't know until my next DXA in about 6 months), I don't feel the need to be taking as much strontium. I end up taking it 3-4 days a week when I have lunch and no longer need the full dosage (also remember that you must avoid foods rich in calcium at the meal when you take strontium as the 2 minerals compete for absorption and calcium will always win, so you will get little benefit from the strontium if consumed at the same time). When I first started taking AlgaeCal, my bones had been improving for several years, but I was still clearly osteopenic, so I took both AlgaeCal Plus and Strontium Boost (full dosage of both) every day -- did so for about a year. Our bones' need for calcium and the other nutrients in AlgaeCal Plus continues throughout our lives, so I will continue to take AlgaeCal Plus at the full dosage, but I no longer need as much additional help from strontium. I will continue to take it though as it is helpful, but at about half the typical dosage, and not every day anymore.

Reply Report post

Recommended dosage may be 4 capsules daily, I started on 3 a day, then changed to 2 a day and I am doing fine.. Use your common sense and have a regular DEXA Scan, if that's fine on a lower dose, then there is no need to take a high dosage.

Reply Report post

Hi there
I have osteoporosis and took Evista for 2 years. This had no effect whatsoever. I am now having prolia injections every 6 months. The first 2 seemed to have no reaction but I had the 3rd injection 3 weeks ago and have increased pain in my body and yesterday i had very bad upper abdomen pain that went right through to my back. I also had a lot of gas and I thought that the gas was the problem. This was a spasm like pain and lasted for over an hour.
A day later I am sore but no cramping. After having very little reaction to the first two injections I didn`t think about an adverse reaction the 3rd time.
Has anyone had a similar reaction after having prolia? I also have RSD/CRPS in my foot following a workplace injury and the pain form this is bad, but this spasm was horrid and i hope it doesn`t happen again. I too am very interested in Algaecal. I am supposed to have a fourth prolia injection prior to my next bone scan. I really am not so sure??
I would be grateful for any information.
Thank you

Reply Report post

I too started out with 680 mg. strontium several years ago and after a year or so bone density scan went way up, but then I scaled back on strontium, but I also was not exercising enough, so hard to determine why last scan I lost some density, one smidgeon away from osteoporosis in my spine. So now I am exercising more, and I will at some point get to algaecal. I actually wanted to remember what I had taken when my density went up. I called Life extension as they had a record of my orders from way back and I had been taking a mix of their bone support products which I think I dropped for some other calcium forms for a while. I guess there is something to say for keeping accurate records, because my memory is not so great, nor is my routine. Sometimes I just skip pills. I hope we will hear from Lara after she gets her scan. This community has been so supportive and informational.

Reply Report post

My next bone scan is April 2014
I will discuss with my Doctor about using the alternative AlgaeCal as I have taken so many meds since osteoporosis and RSD/CRPS was diagnosed. I cannot remember the last good painfree day that I have had.
Mother nature is clever and I too will look more into the natural product and take the info to my Dr who really is a great listener.
Thank you

Reply Report post

my sister took it to her Doctor and he put his Mother on it.

Reply Report post