A persentage of Side effects on Boniva

I thought I would post the side effects from Boniva, as when I took Boniva and Called the Drug Co. they said they get such a small Percentage of people calling about side effects, and the percentage is SO low! Huh..

Take a look at the Common Side Effects.
Then at the Serious.
What they say is the Commen side effects, I feel are still dangerous!
I took one monthly Boniva and was sick for two weeks. I still get strange pain in my joints, I never had before.
I hope I never have to take anything like this again.

Common Side Effects of Boniva
Boniva has been studied thoroughly in clinical trials, in which a group of people taking the drug have side effects documented and compared to another group not taking the medicine. This way, it is possible to see what side effects occur, how often they appear, and how they compare to the group not taking the medicine.

*In these studies, the most common side effects of Boniva included:

Back pain -- in up to 13.5 percent of people
Indigestion or heartburn -- up to 11.9 percent
Bronchitis -- up to 10 percent
Arm or leg pain -- up to 7.8 percent
Abdominal pain (stomach pain) -- up to 7.8 percent
Diarrhea -- up to 6.8 percent
Headache -- up to 6.5 percent.

I think those numbers are quite high!

*Other common Boniva side effects (occurring in 2 to 6 percent of people) included:

Infections
Weakness
Vomiting
High cholesterol
Muscle pain
Arthritis
Dizziness
A spinning sensation (vertigo)
Pneumonia
Sore throat
Bladder infection (urinary tract infection or UTI)
Constipation
Insomnia (see Boniva and Insomnia).

*Serious Boniva Side Effects
Some side effects with Boniva, while occurring infrequently, are potentially serious and should be reported immediately to your healthcare provider. These include but are not limited to:

Throat pain, chest pain, or difficulty swallowing (which may be signs of ulcers of the esophagus)
Severe heartburn or heartburn that does not go away
Severe bone, muscle, or joint pain
Jaw or tooth problems
Signs of an allergic reaction, including unexplained rash, hives, itching, and unexplained swelling.

Final Thoughts on Boniva Side Effects
You may experience some or none of the Boniva side effects listed in this article. Unfortunately, there is no way for your healthcare provider to know beforehand if you will have side effects from a medicine that you have never tried. Therefore, make sure to let your healthcare provider know if you develop any side effects while taking the drug or if something "just does not seem right." While it may not be a side effect of Boniva, your healthcare provider will be able to diagnose and treat the problem.

I also will post a L.A. Times review on Fosamax!

April

Written by/reviewed by: Kristi Monson, PharmD; Arthur Schoenstadt, MD

2 replies. Join the discussion

Important here is the route of administration. Boniva IV -- an injection every three months eliminates all of the GI side effects. And with use .... side effects themselves diminish. As the drug is administered every three months, unlike the super drug "reclast" side effects can be better controlled.

I am very sensitive to medications and I have learned that I while I have issues via the oral route, these are less with the injection / infusion route. This has been the finding of Yale/ New Haven as well.

Hi ViHay,

Thanks for your suggestion.
I was just at my Drs. Monday. He said since the one monthly Boniva made me so sick, he doesn't want me taking anything of these type's of drugs.

I do not think the side effects that is shown is right.
I don't think most people that have side effects call the FDA, or the drugs Companies!

Also for me I think it was a blessing I got sick, as from what I have been reading, I do not want that in my body.
I'm trying alternatives, and see if my bones inprove, or stay the same!!

Take care,
April

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support NOF

Help the National Osteoporosis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Osteoporosis Foundation

Learn more about osteoporosis awareness and prevention

Discussion topics

Links and resources from NOF

Community leaders

Disclaimer

The National Osteoporosis Foundation would like to remind visitors and community members that the views and opinions expressed on this site are not necessarily those of NOF. Please consult your personal healthcare provider regarding any medical information that is shared on this site.