1200 mg. of elemental or total calcium daily?

I'm confused as to how much calcium post menopausal women are supposed to consume daily. Is it 1200 mg. of elemental calcium or total calcium? I take 2 calcium citrate 600 daily. I read that each pill contains only 126 mg elemental calcium. That gives me a total elemental calcium intake of about 500 mg daily which is way under the 1200 mg .

63 replies. Join the discussion

The 1200mg is elemental calcium. By weight (and pill size) calcium carbonate is about 40% calcium, calcium citrate is about 20%, calcium gluconate is about 10%, and the prices are per pill, so calcium carbonate is also the cheapest, even if the cost per pill were equal.

Thanks for your reply. Boy, it's pretty confusing because here you think if you take 600 mg twice a day of calcium citrate, you are getting the required 1200 mg calcium when actually you are only getting about 500mg. I wonder how much calcium is actually absorbed from the food you eat.

Citrical is pretty sneaky when they come to elemental calcium. The state in big bold type that the elemental calcium PER SERVING is 630mg. But in tiny print, the state: "serving size: two tablets".

The same for it being better absorbed. The way they compared citrate to carbonate was to put some people on a caclium deficient diet for 10 days. Then they inserted urinary cathethers into these noble volunteers, and then gave each a large dose of either calcium carbonate (on an empty stomach) or calcium citrate (on an empty stomach), and took a series of urine samples every few minutes until the began to see an increase in the amount of calcium in the urine. Since the citrate showed up in half the time that the carbonate first started appearing in the urine, the claimed it was twice the absorption. They never continued on with the experiment to find out that after 12 hours, the same amount of calcium wound up in the urine eventually. It is absorbed faster, not better.

My bottle of calcium supplement says "Each tablet provides 600 mg of elemental calcium." So are they not telling the truth????

I would think if the bottle says 600 mg of elemental calcium, that must be the truth. The info on the absorption of citrate vs. carbonate is very interesting. I've also read that just because the calcium is absorbed into the bloodstream doesn't necessarily mean it gets into the bones. It can go to other parts of the body like arteries, etc. That's why some of the studies are saying calcium supplements may not be that good for you.
I'm going to continue taking Citracal Plus twice daily ( it has 500 mg elemental calcium per 2 tablets plus magnesium, zinc, copper and manganese and Vit. D.) plus adding calcium through diet. Who know if this is best but for now, I don't know what else to do.
Has anyone taken the Citracal Bone Density Builder? I couldn't decide between the Citracal Plus or Bone Builder.

My understanding is that you need to take vitamin K-2 to get the calcium from the blood and to the bones. You can end up clogging your arteries with calcium. My doctor told me that you should be getting a minimum of 1000 iu of vitamin D-3. I also read that you should test your calcium supplement in a glass of water. If it doesn't dissolve in 45 min then it probably isn't doing you any good.

Elemental calcium is elemental calcium. They would be telling the truth.

As for it going to arteries, etc. the link between calcium (with vitamin D) and coronary artery calcifications has never been established. The blood level of calcium needs to be maintained within a narrow range to keep you alive. If it starts to rise, the excess goes out in urine, not stored in bone, or other tissues. Too much calcium can lead to kidney stones however.
Vitamin K is recycled in the body and there is typically no need to take extra.

Hi ,

I have to crush my calcium and mix it in applesauce because I can't swallow pills so I don't have to worry whether it absorbs or not . I've read about Vit K-2 but I'm not taking any supplements. I'm just taking one 400 Vit D supplement along with the D in my calcium. Are you taking Vit. K-2 and how much? I'm still so confused and overwhelmed with all the information.

Wow dxaguru you seem to be disagreeing with a lot of folks on this forum which say it is imperative to take K2 to keep calcium out of the arteries. I'll have to check everyones argument! Thanks for your 2 cents. I keep an open mind, but I do know there are studies showing excess calcium causing heart attacks.

I guess I got a good deal on my calcium supplement. It's just the store brand and was much cheaper than the other supplements. I take 50 mcg of K-2, but not everyday. I also take a muti-vitamin, magnesium, vitamin C & D-3. I usually take the multi-vitamin everyday but the others I take about 3-4 times a week. I try to get most of my calcium from my diet, by eating yogurt, almond milk, etc. If I don't get enough through my diet, then I take a supplement in the evening.

Thanks for your information. I'm still researching Vit. K-2 supplements. I, too, have read that you need Vit. K-2 to get the calcium into the bones. Why don't our Dr.s tell us that taking calcium isn't enough? They should be saying to get enough magnesium, Vit-K-2, boron, etc and other minerals to help with calcium's absorption. We shouldn't have to be researching so much of this stuff on our own.

My new doctor had a chart with vitamin K on it from greens. I had to tell her about k2 and the mk-4 and mk-7stuff. She was very interested which is good in a doctror. I left my old primary because she was clueless and did not give me the time of day.

I know what you mean about Drs being clueless. My primary Dr. called me and said I had osteoporosis and to increase my calcium to 1500 mg daily and start taking Fosamax, end of story. I told her I need to think about it and do some research before I make up my mind.
If Vit K-2 is so important in getting calcium into the bones, why don't they know about it and prescribe it? Can you buy Vit K-2 at any pharmacy or Walmart?

Skinandbones--You are only take vitamin d and calcium?! Is that right? Boy, I'm probably taking 30 pills per day!

I buy mine at Vitacost.com. Message me and I'll refer you to vitacost. And will both get $10!

Oh my this calcium thing is very confusing. Wouldn't your doctor tell you if too much calcium will clog your arteries. I am on the Calcium Citrate and Vit D daily and the dastardly Actonel once weekly. I have dropped my Vit D to 1000mg per day and about 1000mg of Calcium Citrate per day I am sure there should be enough in food to supplement the rest I need shouldn't it?

I take the Calcium Citrate Plus 1000 mg daily. It has magnesium, boron, copper and zinc and 500 mg D so I take a Vit D supplement 400 mg as well to equal 900 mg D. I figure I get the rest of the calcium from food. I don't eat meat or dairy so I have to take calcium but it does worry me that the calcium isn't getting into the bone and staying in my arteries. I'm going to think about adding Vit k-2- still unsure.
Selina 4, is the ACTONEL helping you-have you seen positive results? Hopefully, you've had no problems with it.

Selina and Skinandbones--What is your vitamin d level? 1000 mg of vitamin d sounds like way too little.

Hi,
My vitamin D level is 34 which my Dr. said was within normal limits.

34 is low. It should be between 60-70. Can anyone else help me here?

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support NOF

Help the National Osteoporosis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Osteoporosis Foundation

Learn more about osteoporosis awareness and prevention

Discussion topics

Links and resources from NOF

Community leaders

Disclaimer

The National Osteoporosis Foundation would like to remind visitors and community members that the views and opinions expressed on this site are not necessarily those of NOF. Please consult your personal healthcare provider regarding any medical information that is shared on this site.