Green Smoothies

I've been living with severe Ectopic Dermatitis for my whole life - 54 years treating it mostly with topical steroids, which thin the skin and have other side effects. I wish to find a more natural approach for treatment and have gotten a hit on green smoothies. I was wondering if anyone has had success with these and what recipes work for eczema

2 replies. Join the discussion

Dr. Peter Lio has studied a good number of natural alternatives. Look into things he has written.

It helps! My diet is gluten free, vegan, non-GM, and mostly organic. I also eat lots of coconut oil and flax seed and am currently taking a ginseng blend, zinc, and vitamin C supplements. I take Valerian at night to help me get to sleep and not focus on my eczema. When I quit eating dairy and eggs, I noticed a huge improvement. They lymph nodes in my ankles stopped overacting and causing swelling and my eczema rashes to ooze with lymph.

I haven't had eczema all my life but only the past 6 years or so and didn't know what it was until about 4 years ago. I still haven't gotten my eczema into remission like I did prior to changing my diet. When I originally changed my diet I did the complete detox, raw food, and juice fast in order to completely cleanse all the stuff that might be causing my candida and eczema. It took about a year for my body and skin to completely heal. I still never got the hugely renewed energy and health that I expected from the detox. It took a lot of money to do this and I started running out of resources to pay for my expensive healthy foods. After healing and being financially frustrated It took about a year or so before I started eating meat and dairy again and stopped eating as much raw and juicing and had a brand new, much worse outbreak which started in June.

So...back to smoothies...
I drink at least one smoothie per day with greens, frozen fruit, and whatever other veggies fit in my Nutribullet. Before I did the green smoothies, I juiced everything. I had a juicer but lost a part to it, that prevents leaking out of the spout, so I really miss the juicing. If the green smoothie is a little too "green" tasting for me I just add a little honey or agave syrup to it.
What I've learned about the fresh, raw fruits and veggies is that it's the enzymes that are so important for the diet. Since eczema is basically an internal issue with the immune system and the digestive system. It is crucial to create a healthy environment within the body. I have never used any "traditional" medicine for my eczema aside from an antifungal when I had candida that erupted through my unknown eczema condition.

Here are some pros and cons to green smoothies and juicing: Juicing is a pain in the butt with all the washing of parts but it tastes better, but you lose a lot of the nutrients from the pulp and fiber that gets removed. Green smoothies are easier because you only wash the blender. If you have a Nutribullet, you drink out of the blender so there's even less to wash. Green smoothies can be harder on the palette with the texture issues like skin, seeds, and fiber. The blender tends to warm up the smoothie so you have to add ice or use frozen fruit to make sure it's cool when it's done. It's pretty gross to drink luke warm juice or smoothies. Not very refreshing!

As far as recipes go there are some great ones on the internet. I am allergic to bananas and the alternate to that is avocados but they are expensive. I find that frozen mango makes a creamier smoothie. Anyway, there are so many combos that you can create to your taste. Most juicers and smoothie blenders come with recipes. If you don't have too many allergies like I do, you might consider buying a recipe book.

Each time it seems that my skin is healing, a new rash pops up and makes the itching frenzy resume! Luckily I only have it below my knees although it threatens to erupt on my cheeks and torso. I am trying to be patient with my body and trust that it will heal itself in time.

I hope this helps! :)

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support NEA

Help the National Eczema Association reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Eczema Association

Discussion topics

From the National Eczema Association

Resources from NEA

Community leaders

Disclaimer

The National Eczema Association (NEA) would like to remind visitors and group members that the views and opinions expressed on this site are not necessarily those of NEA. Please consult your personal physician regarding any medical information that is shared on this site.