Bed Tanning and eczema

Hello!!! I have very bad eczema mostly in my hands but it is all over my body... Friends with eczema had recommended to me going tanning for a few minutes to help my skin heal... I was wondering if someone has tried the tanning or those photo therapy sessions and if they have worked for you

20 replies. Join the discussion

I am the same way - mostly in my hands. I've gotten the rest of my body under control with diet but no change in my hands. I am seeing a derm today regarding uv-b light therapy. I will let you know how it goes!

Yes i have tried the tanning. I have found that it gives me wonderful results. You only need to stay in the tanning bed for a couple of minutes before you will see results the next day. It works great.

i have always improved with exposure to uv either by tanning bed or sun exposure while staying cool. gettting too hot exacerbates condition. i read a good article about this and why it helps entitled : "The Dark and the Sunny Sides of UVR-Induced Immunosuppression: Photoimmunology Revisited" by Thomas Schwarz i have saved as pdf on my computer but maybe u can google and find it as well, it basically explains how uvb turns on the immune system to fight bacteria such as staph aureus, but at the same time calms the immune response that cause inflammation and allergic response.

I went to see a dermatologist about the PUMA treatment and she said that it usually caused more damage than it helped :( My hands have gotten worse since that appt though so I am wondering about asking about it again! Good luck, let us know how it works for you.

Hate to be a wet blanket, but...When my severe and unrelenting flare started 12 years ago, I went for the UV treatment (full body). The damn disease spread to my feet where I had never had it beofre. Now, was it the treatment, or, just coincidence? Hmm.

As a kid, I always had hand UV, sometimes, neck and chest area, and it helped. So I don't know what happened the last time to make it worse. I guess, like we've discovered time and time again, the treatment for improvement is so individualized, it's a hit or miss game. Good luck.

I went to see the derm yesterday who has a light box. The UV-b band is supposed to be much safer than a tanning bed which has a broader spectrum of UV rays (some cancer-causing). We are going to try the light on my hands a few times a week for a few weeks to see if I see any improvement. He has only tried it on psoriasis and vitilago but has heard that it does help some people with eczema. Like mfr says above, it is individualized. I have tried everything else (diet, supplements, my hands do not EVER touch soap/shampoo/detergent, - I shampoo my hair with gloves on in the shower - etc.) and have seen improvements on the rest of my body, but my hands never improve. So I guess you would say I'm willing to try anything. I will let you know how it goes. Takes a couple weeks for them to obtain insurance approval and then I'll get started.

He was obviously very against the tanning bed due to cancer risk. BTW this derm is a family friend so he is not just trying to get my business or anything like that.

I just started the UV Phototeraphy for my hands and feet, and yes the doctor did warn me that it might get worser before it gets better, but since my hands have always been so terrible I really think how worse can they get and I thought it might me wort triying, hopefully it will work fine

Does anyone else feel as sorry for us as I do. I know I'm boo hooing and there are far more worse things in the world, but we're talking quality of life here. Okay. I'm done:-)

I agree with both of you;
badhands, i feel the same way, how much worse can they get? might as well try.
and mfr, the quality of life stuff... ugh... the days that i cannot even go into work b/c my face is so disgusting ... missing out on social events b/c i am so flared up. boo hoo is right.

Hi everybody. I have just this week started light therapy for eczema that is over my entire body. I'll be going 3 times a week for 10 weeks. The dermatologist said I might not see improvement until the 4-5 week stage. He seems very confident that it will work and said I'm a good candidate for it (how he figures that I don't know....). As far as I'm concerned this HAS to work, I've tried everything else and I'm getting married this year and would like to do so in something other than a pair of flannel pyjamas!!! I'll check back in a few weeks to let you know if it's working!

I totally agree with you all, quality of life sucks when we are at our worst moments, I mean there's days when everything makes it worse, the creams, the ointments, shower, clothes and you just don't know what to do, that is why I feel so good when I have a few good days when at least my skin ain't painful and swollen and irritated.

KB1977 I totally do the same, my hands won't touch nothing I shower with gloves on, I wear cotton gloves all day, I don't do dishes or laundry and If I have to gloves on for sure, it sucks though but it has been the only way to keep things not so bad. And I guess every other day we will have our bad days...

My hands had started to improved and I couldn't be more excited! I just hope it lasts longer this time... My dermatologists change my steroid cream to Clobetasol ointment and so far id working pretty good, He also prescribed me this new foam that helps skin regenerate and improve the skin barrier...it is amazing!!! not only feels good and non-greasy but really works, my skin is finally starting to look normal... it's called Hylatopic plus Emollient foam, it is very pricy but totally worth every dollar, I just use it on my hands that are my worst area but can be used all over the body.

AA85, Hope you heal soon and can be ready for your wedding, I just got married 6 months ago and luckily my skin gave me a break on our wedding day...well at least on the visibly areas.. cause I had already bought this silk gloves in case my hands were very bad, but thankfully my hands were clear and the flare in my body was just starting so you couldn't tell...

Well good luck you all and hopefully we'll feel better and find something that works long term....

It is great having people that understands you and goes thru the same agony every day

Well, congratulatoins, Ladies, on the nuputals! Question to badhands: Do you use CeraVe? If so, do you use it with the new foam? I'm just about ready to buy CeraVe, ( went to web site and printed out coupons), because many people here use it with great results. I'm in the market for something new. Thanks-

I use CeraVe. It's a nice lotion for everyday use to help with the dry skin. It doesn't heal my eczema though.

just curious, to those that are using photo therapy -do you have dyshidrotic/vesicular/pomphylox eczema?

cerave works well for me when i get small outbreaks of the red patchy traditional eczema, but nothing(even the steroid creams(lidex)) has been able to clear up my hand eczema. the cracks are terribly painful in the winter and i cant avoid a lot of handwashing with two little ones at home.

Thanks, guys. Guess I'm looking for just a better moisturizer. I've found nothing really CURES eczema, but I definately need help, especially for my face. I use Eucerin often, and Vasaline on the really rough parts, but most stuff makes me itch.

j92bm I have dyshidrotic eczema, atopic dermatitis and Psoriatic arthritis...

Mfr9154 I've never use CeraVe moisturizers, I do use the CeraVe cleanser for my face, cause right now my dermatologist recommended to use Cetaphil Restoraderm which feels great but she also said to try CeraVe once my body patches cleared a little...Hadn't try that yet though

I don't know for you guys but in my case Eucerin burns awfully when my skin is rashed... so I don't use it anymore

Thanks for the info., badhands. I think I'll try the facial cleanser, (for dry skin. HA! Always had oily all my life), plus the lotion. Yeah. Eucerin burns me, too.

Glad to hear there are others bothered by Eucerin. I cannot use the stuff. It worsens my itch.

Hi, I agree about the eucerin, doesn't help too much. I have found Amlactin to be wonderful for my hands and body. The problem is that when you first put it on it does burn but I just wait about 5 minutes and the burn is gone, with time the initial burning goes away.
I have also been thru the UVB therapy and loved it. After about 6 weeks I didn't have to use hardly any cortisone. Just be careful not to get burned. Unfortunately my insurance stopped paying for it, said it was not conclusive. So now I'm back to sterioids. Just have to tell you all that taking vitamin D supplements every day really helps too.,, I'm 55 and have bad eczema all my life and have tried a million things and vitamin d , amlactin and vaseline seem to work the best.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support NEA

Help the National Eczema Association reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Eczema Association

Discussion topics

From the National Eczema Association

Resources from NEA

Community leaders

Disclaimer

The National Eczema Association (NEA) would like to remind visitors and group members that the views and opinions expressed on this site are not necessarily those of NEA. Please consult your personal physician regarding any medical information that is shared on this site.