message of hope

Just wanted to shout out that it has been over 5 1/2 years since my radichal trachelectomy/abdominal cerclage for cervical cancer and am completely clear of the disease. I have 2 beautiful healthy children, a son 4 1/2 and a daughter almost 2. They were conceived naturally and carried with relatively normal pregnancies. I started labouring at 36 weeks with my son so he was deliverd by emergency instead of scheduled c-section. He needed a little help to start breathing but that is not uncommon for c-section babies. with my daughter I had steady but minor bleeding up until the end of the 4th month or so due to the placenta implanting over the scar tissue from the trachelectomy, but that disapeared and she was deliverd by scheduled c-section at 36 weeks to avoid undue stress on the cerclage in the latter stages of the pregnancies and given that I started to labour early with my 1st

When I was diagnosed with stage 2 cervical cancer it was a very scary time not knowing what the options are, what the long term is going to look like or if there is any hope of having children. Everything I read sounded so heartbreaking and stressful. So although I know that not everyone is as lucky as me with this disease, I want to inspire you to believe there is hope that it can all work out. Best wishes,

Edited October 11, 2012 at 1:57 pm

Things you can do

Support NCCC

Help the National Cervical Cancer Coalition reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Discussion topics

Community leaders