Stage 1b1 cervical cancer treatment

I am being treated for cervical cancer stage 1b1. I had hysterectomy and lymph node dissection 13 nodes total all clear of cancer. I am going through chemo and radiation right now 6 weeks of cisplatin and 25 treatments of external radiation. Does this treatment seem right for a stage 1b1 I was reading that most 1b1 get internal radiation also my tumor size was 2.7cm X1.4cm X.7cm I am very worried that I am not receiving all my treatment.

22 replies. Join the discussion

Hi Claper, I think that the suggestion to call the American Cancer Society is a good one. Each case is different, and all you can hope to do is arm yourself with as much information as possible. Perhaps seek a second opinion/consultation from another gyn/oncologist regarding your treatment plan. I was diagnosed with stage 1b1 adenocarcinoma in November and saw three different gyn/oncologists. All three agreed that an abdominal radical trachelectomy with pelvic lymphnode removal was a reasonable option for me (I'm 33 and have no children but hope to be able to). I had the trachelectomy on Dec. 10. My final pathology came back with clear margins and no lymphnode involvement. At this point, I will be going for checkups every 3 months and I do not need to have chemo/radiation. Again, every case is different.

Amy, ok i called I am feeling a little better thanks. I also asked about lymph vascular involvement and he said that chemo should get any strays of cancer left.

Thank you bar32 I did call and I am feeling a little better about my treatments. I do know that everyone is different and each person gets different treatments all my doctors are very confident with what they are doing so I am going to relax and let them treat me. I also have God on my side.

im also stage 1b1 adenocarcinoma hysterectomy they remove 48 lymph nodes due to abnormal size and fortunately it was all clear of cancer so my doctor told me i dont need chemo and radation and according to him radation does not response to adenocarcinoma i was treated in japan

Hi
I had stage 1b cancer of the cervix back in 1993 - i was given a radical hysterectomy plus 6 weeks radiotherapy - at Barts Hospital London - i was told there was no trace in my lymph nodes though. The radiation stopped my ovaries working at age 29 ( fortunately i had two children and had just had my son literally 9 months before ) and here i am age 46 and have been on HRT for all those years without any problems.

Thank you irene1 and JENJUN for your post most people receive six week of radiation so that worries me a bit but of course I am getting chemo too so maybe it's the same? JENJUN how big was your tumor? Did you have any lymph vascular space involvement?

I had 1b cancer of the cervix. I had radical hyst with node removal. Out of the 6 nodes, 1 came back positive with adno. I went through 6 weeks of the smae chemo that you will be getting and I had external radition for 5 weeks. I also had 2 internal radition treatments in the vagina. I'm having problems in the groin area of right leg. Sometimes it so swollen that its hard to lift my leg. I'm also having problems in my colon.Cramps,etc......

Anyway, it sounds like you will be recieving the same treatment that I had. I'm 38 and had lost down to 84lbs post-op.That was my weight when I started Chemo and Radition.I was very weak and it was tough.YOu just have to try to think positive. If you need to cry..Then cry!

Dear Claper,

I think you got the right treatment. I had only 2 or the 6 cisplatin treatments becuase I had a bad reaction to it... I think that They use cisplatin to make the bad cells more receptive to the chemo....i did not get internal radiation. each case or dr is different. How are you feeling now? Try some PT for women. They help you with exercises for your vagina and pelvic area...

Hi Esca , I am doing really well. I feel like my old self again. What stage did you have?

Claper -
I had 1b2 in 1999, total hys w/ lymph dissection but no lymph involvement and I got a 98% 5+ remission statistic from my Dr. and had NO chemo OR radiation. I just celebrated my 10 year cancerversary and expect to hear about yours in another 9 years! I often wondered in the early years if I SHOULD have had chemo or rad to get those trickey buggers that may have gotten away but so far so good!
Hugs to you!

ShaundraNCCC-AZ, thank you for telling me your story, it makes me feel confident that everything is going to be ok. thank you very much

Hi claper, Glad to hear you are feeling like your old self again! That is encouraging to me...I have stage 2b2, no lymph node involement. I had a rad. hysto. in May 26, '09, about to start 6 weeks of chemo and 28 treatments of ext. radiation, starting July 20th. Meeting radiation doc tomorrow to question if I really need the internal or not, and to go thru the simulation. I was told by my oncologist I need 3 internal treatments. I have been prepared but now that I am getting closer to the date...I am having anxiety. Just wondering how my body will take to the treatments. I am ready to get this behind me....., thanks for sharing!

I had stage 1b1 cancer. I did not have a hyst. I did 6 weeks of chemo and 28 external radiation and 6 internal. I had my first three month pap 2 weeks ago and it came back normal.

Emkaytx, everything is going to be O.K. the treatment is very doable, I know that each person is different. Radiation and chemo will get you very tired. The day of chemo you will feel great and probably two days after. I had chemo on Wed. so I felt good on Wed., Thur., and Fri., on the weekend I felt sooooooo tired and sometimes achy. When Monday came I was back to normal. Radiation really did not do any thing to me.

God Bless

congratulation on your normal pap smear yyyaaaaayyyy. Do you know if they did a HPV test also?

No my oncologist didn't do an HPV test. I asked him about it and he said he really didn't think that was what we needed to be focusing on at the time. I completely agreed. Its pretty much a given that I have HPV. You said the radiation didn't do anything to you. That blows my mind. I still have side effects from the radiation. I had chemo on Mondays. In the beginning, the chemo didn't seem to hit me until about Wednesday. Usually by the next Monday, I was okay. About halfway through, I stayed sick 90% of the time. The chemo has messed up my veins as well. Everytime I've had to have an IV since, its been hell. I am having another surgery on Friday and I hate the thought of the IV. This upcoming surgery has nothing to do with cancer, thank the Lord!

Dear crickett305 treatment is different for each person or maybe I am just blaming it all on chemo, I don't know. The reason I ask about the HPV test, is that, I have had two paps smears since treatment ended and they did a HPV test and on both, came back as no HPV. I thank God for this, but was wondering if someone else had no HPV after treatment.

I wish my dr. would do an HPV test. I will discuss it with him when I go back in October. I would love to know for sure. Treatment is different for everyone, thats for sure. I think back on it, and wonder how I ever did it and survived. It was awful for me, and I consider myself pretty strong. I'll tell you this, it kicked me in the ass, but I came out on top! lol

hi. I was told to have my bladder full when I did radiation....i did not have any terrible side effects except once when I did not drink water before treatment...coinsidence? not sure, but ask your doc....

I was diagnosed in July through a 3 cm polyp with adenocarcinoma and also had a 4 cm tumor on my cervix. All paps normal, no HPV, not ever, imagine that. Even the doctor was suprised.

Anyway, I had the radical hyst. and am healing (a few complications) but am about to start radiation. I am curious about chemo and think I should have it, but doc. thinks no. I am a single mom of two beautiful girls (2 & 4) and they ned me. I don't want to end up two years down the line in the same spot.

Any ideas?

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support NCCC

Help the National Cervical Cancer Coalition reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Discussion topics

Community leaders