Sex Partners & HPV

I apologize if this is a discussion that has already been posted, but I couldn't find a similar one, so here goes.

I was recently diagnosed with high risk HPV and have an appointment in December for cryotherapy. My boyfriend and I have never had sex, but would like to when the time is right. He is ill himself right now, so it won't be happening before the cryotherapy, at any rate, but eventually it's a certainty. Condoms are also not going to be used in the long term.

My question is, what is the best way to go about that? Should we wait until I am definitely HPV free? How risky is it to have unprotected sex after I've healed from cryo? What about after a normal PAP? Should I be concerned about 'passing' HPV back and forth between us? Should he be tested?

9 replies. Join the discussion

Most people get rid of HPV out of their bodies in 1-2 years, but some people don't. I have had HPV for almost 5yrs now! Even if you have protected sex, you can still get HPV from just the bodies touching one another. Not really any way that they can test men, from what i have read, but i know that you will hear so many different things, but i wish you the best of luck :)

I have been told by many doctors that many woman/men that get it never know because the body can fight it and get rid of it in 1-2 years, but a lot aren't so lucky, but if you haven't got rid of it in that amount of time, your not going to, but then i have read so many times that you can never get rid of it at all, that it may become inactive, but i wonder sometimes if the doctors even know what they are doing or know what they are even talking about! I have had some doctors that seem like there could care less! So it's good to have a good doctor. This virus has devastated me! I'm at the stage of cancer. The virus progresses very fast or well it did for me! Try to take very good care of your health and body and always go for your paps!

if you don't use condoms, you can transmit the virus to your partner, and he can also transmit whatever strains of the virus he may have. yes, most people will clear the virus in a year or two, but you'll probably want to wait to get negative hpv tests successively to be sure you've cleared it (to protect yourself from additional viral load, and to protect your partner). and, condoms help to reduce the transmission, by about 70%. also, i'm not sure what level of dysplasia you currently have, but you may look into long term success of cryotherapy....not nearly as good as having a leep. ask your doctor for more info.

When people talk about 'getting rid of' HPV, they are (or should) be talking about the symptoms (i.e. warts, atypical cell growth, etc.). I think there is a lot of confusion over that. You may not have any symptoms for years and years and years after treating HPV or never again have sypmtoms. But it will forever be in your body. And, even with a condom, transfer rate from one partner to another is about 60%. I'm wishing you a long and happy relationship with your boyfriend, but if you two end up with different partners someday, you'll both more likely than not infect the new partner. For the guy, that doesn't mean too much, but for the woman it can mean eventual cervical cancer!

eap, i'm not sure where you're getting your info, but that doesn't seem accurate. clearing an active hpv infection means, to me, that you test negative while you previously tested positive. and if a woman and man each don't have active hpv infections (no testing available in men....), then it's unlikely that they'll give each other hpv infections. one way transmssion can be reduced is to wait between new partners to be sure that we've cleared an active hpv infection. it's still possible.....because an active infection can appear years after exposure.....but it helps to wait. and, i think we all need to remember that hpv infection does impact men....he may potentially get hpv related disease and he can pass the virus on to other women he may have sex with.

Hi, flowershoplady. Thank you for your follow-up to my post as it has spurred me into a little more research. I have gotten my information 1. from my doctor and 2. internet research. I realize that a person has to be discerning when reading things on the internet, and have kept that in mind!

No wonder we are confused, such ambiguous terminology in the medical world and beyond is being used to talk about the virus such as being 'cleared' and 'inactive'. You may find the following article from the American Cancer Society helpful: http://www.cancer.org/docroot/CRI/content/CRI_2_6x_FAQ_HPV_Vaccines.asp?sit earea=

It's pretty long, so I'll copy and paste a couple of paragraphs that deal specifically with whether or not HPV can be 'cured'. My interpretation is that no one really knows for sure (and believe me, like anyone else, I wanted to be told this could be cured)! All we have to base the conclusion from is presence or non-presence of symptoms:

"Nearly all cervical cancers are related to HPV, but most genital HPV infections do not cause cervical cancer. In research studies, most people who test positive for genital HPV DNA test negative later on, often within 6 to 12 months. Scientists are still not sure whether this means that a person's immune system has completely destroyed all of the HPV or has only suppressed the infection to an extremely low level (too low to be detected by the tests). If even a few cells of the cervix still contain HPV, it's possible that the virus may start to become active again if your immune system becomes very weak

Changes in the cells of the cervix may suddenly happen many years after being exposed to HPV. These changes may be low-grade or high-grade. This delay could help explain how a woman could have these changes after many years of normal Pap tests and no new sex partner." -- American Cancer Society website

eap, i'm very familiar with that info. and what you wrote in your posting still seems inaccursate....you said: "if you two end up with different partners someday, you'll both more likely than not infect the new partner. For the guy, that doesn't mean too much, but for the woman it can mean eventual cervical cancer!" i disagree, with both sentences, for the reasons i posted above, and i'm not a doctor, but your info isn't supported by the links you provided. i would encourage you to keep learning....i think it's important to post fact based info here.

Okay, perhaps I should have used more specific terms that 'more than likely', but I think that even if there is a .0001 percent chance that a future partner could be infected, people need to be informed.

I am not trying to post inaccurate information here, part of it may be emotionally charged, but I think people need to understand the reality of risks. I mentioned in another thread that I cannot answer 'yes' to a single one of the risk factors for contracting HPV. My first abnormal pap revealed CIN 3!

I'm not sure how you can believe that HPV can absolutely be 'cleared' based on this quote from the American Cancer Society:

"Scientists ARE STILL NOT SURE (empasis mine) whether this means that a person's immune system has completely destroyed all of the HPV or has only suppressed the infection to an extremely low level (too low to be detected by the tests)."

It says they are not sure!! I am not a doctor either, and I'm not saying it's impossible, but why live like it is 'cured' and risk infecting another person?

now i agree with you 100%....there's definitely a possibility of transmitting hpv to a future partner, particularly if you know that you've had an active hpv infection, and the same goes for a man who has had a partnler with hpv. you're very right that unless there's better testing available, and even with the testing, there's no way to know for sure that you won't transmit the hpv to a new partner.

and, i was also trying to point out that hpv does impact men....although hpv related disease in men is low, statistically, the risk is still there. plus, a man can pass along the hpv to another partner.

and, i believe that hpv transmission is easy and prevalent, and taken much too lightly. i was being a stickler with your wording....sorry about that.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support NCCC

Help the National Cervical Cancer Coalition reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Discussion topics

Community leaders