Sex after LEEP - confusion

I have just had my first LEEP done a week ago.

When I asked the doctor how long to wait to have sex, he said until the bleeding stops.

Where I am confused is the pamphlet they gave me says to wait a few weeks.

So far the cramping only lasted 2 days, my bleeding has stopped, and I have had no pain at all.

What should I do?

33 replies. Join the discussion

I have not had a leep but I did have a cone and I did give it some time to heal you do not want to risk infection. I would follow the information he gave you

He gave me advise to wait until bleeding, but pamphlet says 3 weeks... I just want to know which to follow?

to be on the safe side i would wait the 3 weeks.

I had a leep a few weeks ago and the dr said to wait 3-4 weeks. Your body needs time to heal, and you dont want to get an infection. Hope everything turns out good for you!

My doc told me to wait till my follow-up appt which is 5 weeks after LEEP...mainly so you don't get an infection and to give your body time to heal. I stopped bleeding after a few days too but started...stopped...started...stopped, each time it was less and less, so I'd give it a little time to make sure ur done completely and all healed...just my opinion on the matter :)

Ok thanks everyone, I will probably wait 3 weeks and see how it goes. If it isn't comfortable I will add another week.

I was told to wait a month. They tell you not to have sex right away or use tampons because they can cause infection. Do NOT do it before 3 to 4 weeks. Listen to your doctor. They tell you these things for a reason :)

WOW...so many different answers of how many weeks to wait. My story is...I had a leep done about 6 weeks ago and I was told NO SEX for 2 weeks and I also had a 2 week follow up, not 5-6 weeks later. I too was told NOT to use tampons, but I hadn't used them for a long time anyways. I had pain for 1 1/2 days, and bled for only 3 or 4 days just a couple days after the leep, but refrained from having sex till AFTER my 2wk ck-up. I felt as if I could have gone home the same day as my leep and had sex, but didn't. I felt as if nothing was done to me at the doctors office even tho I had 1/3rd of my cervix removed. I am now scheduled to go in for a hysterectomy on June 4th. Something I am NOT looking forward too and I thought I was scared of having a leep, I'm really scared now for having a hysterectomy.

Kepola, you seem young for a hysterectomy. Do you already have kids? I am wondering what happened that it progressed so far.

I've had 2 LEEP's My Dr. told me 6 weeks! I can't believe yours said "until the bleeding stops"?! that is a really good way to get an infection. I hardly bled at all with both of mine. You want to make sure you are giving your body time to heal. Avoid putting anything in there for at least the 3 weeks.

schubunny.... Thanks for thinking that you seem I may be young still for a hysterectomy. YES...I am young at heart and soul, and YES, I am not that old, but I will be 55 this Sept. even tho ppl tell me I look 45 or so. I do take good care of myself and always have. I do have 4 kids of my own along with 4 grand babies. I have been DONE having kids for some time now as my youngest just turned 20 this past January and my oldest will be 35 come this Aug.
I was diagnosed with CIN III/STAGE 0 cancer. Had the leep done about 6 weeks ago and the doc sugested for me to have a hysterectomy, NOT basically due to my cancer situation, but because I've had LOTS of problems with my monthly the year or so before I was diagnosed back in Aug of last year. I actually haven't had a monthly since Dec of 2011. The ONLY bleeding I've had since then was due from my leep procedure, but before...I had very heavy and long periods, about7-9 days and sometimes 2 a month. The reason why its taken sooo long to get to this point, from first being diagnosed, is because of insurance reasons. It seemed as if it took FOREVER to finally get approved. So, just as I was approved, the doc that is doing the surgery, he went on a 2-3 week vacation. I will be his first patient/surgery when he returns back from his fun time. hehe..
I was petrified of goin in to having the leep done and after it was done, I couldn't understand why I should have been as it went very well. I LOVE my doctor that did the leep. BUT...a hyesterectomy is even a BIGGER surgery and anything can go wrong. I'm keeping my head up and a positive attitude with knowing, since I've kept myself over all in good shape/condition, this surgery will be a breeze for me too, just like the leep was. I do pray that all goes well for me as I just hooked back up with my high school sweetheart about 6 years ago from being apart 28 years. Being back together, has been heavenly for me. Love hasn't been better in all my 54 years. Even better than when we were together years ago. But as time gets nearer and nearer, I get a little nervous, but then again, who wouldn't when ya going under the knife?
So, my suggestion is...wait at least 2 weeks before having sex, if not longer. Better to be safe than sorry.

i waited almost 7 weeks because i wanted to make sure i healed right

kepola, I would definitely feel stressed if I was going through what you are. I know I used to have heavy periods and insane cramping before I went on bc. I've also had ovarian cysts, 3 operations and now I only have one ovary and the other is bent. I hope to have a child before anything else happens. I seem to have bad luck with my girly bits, with this happening too! I hope the operation goes good for you and that your new relationship continues to blossom :)

Hey Everyone!

I'm new to the site... But I definetly relate to a lot of the things you all are going through. You see, I'm 25 and last week I had a cone biopsy as I've been having irregular paps for several years and the last couple results have indicated a high risk for HPV. I do have rather large ovarian cysts, and endometriosis. I'm stressing myself out about what the results will be. I have myself a pity party once in a while because all my friends are having babies and I unfortunately can only get pregnant by IVF. I'm happy for everyone who is expecting, it's just what did I do to deserve all this crap. I was a good girl growing up, had I known this would happen maybe I wouldn't have been so well behaved.. My questions is, has anyone else experienced a rollar coaster of emotions. One day I'm super happy and the next day the smallest little thing makes me so emotinal. At times I feel so depressed about the entire situation. Can anybody relate to these feelings? My boyfriend is a sweetheart and he's there for me, but he doesn't quite understand how I feel..... Would taking to a therapist help?

kepola

I'm jealous... all you have to worry about now is underwires!!! Good luck with everything and hope you have a speedy recovery.

auntiedee, I think it's incredibly normal that you feel this way. Your boyfriend in the end, will never understand what it's like. Men do not have a biological clock, or get pregnant. They have a lot less issues then we do concerning baby-making organs.

I would either see a therapist like you said, or talk to people online who are going through the same thing. I know how you feel as I only have one bent ovary and I don't even know if I can ever get pregnant and I am only 26.

schubunny- When I had my LEEP done (Sept. 2010), my doctor instructed me to wait a full 6wks. I researched as well as asked my doctor and another how long it normally takes your cervix to FULLY heal after a LEEP procedure. Did you know that it takes a FULL year before that tissue in there on your cervix will be back to the way it was before the LEEP--- minus those terrible cells of course :-) You can get infection SOOOO very easily during your recovery time and I wouldn't risk making this situation any more worse on yourself by "jumping the gun" so to speak. :-) Just lookin' out for you! Be patient with your body, cervix, and yourself! You will get there!! And, FYI---- when I did get cleared for more "intimate activities" it was incredible! haha!! By that, I mean, I had a heightened sensitivity that was intense and wonderful..so don't rush things...just take care of you! :-) Take care and keep us updated!!

Hugs,
Leegurl

schubunny...I used to take birth control when I was younger, right out of high school, BUT...ONLY to regulate my monthlys, as back then, they were speratic. I was only on BC for about a year, cause my body just wasn't taking to them. I went back 2 or 3 different times, only for my doc to lower the dosage each time, but still didn't feel right, so I just got off of them for good. As I got older and had my kids, my periods would finally be more on a regular basis, till just the past few years. Instead of cramping before, during and/or after my monthlys, I would have really bad backaches. My first child, I had 90% back labor and from then on, I would ache instead of cramping. Don't know which one is worse. I hated em both.
I'm sorry you've had to go thru all that you did, and continue too, with the surgeries and all, but I too do hope you end up having a child before anything happens. I LOVE my kids as I have a really tight bond w/each and everyone of them, as well as with my grandbabies - (4 1/2, 4, & 1 1/2). My doc told me that he wants to leave my ovaries in...as long as they aren't infected by the time he gets to operate on me. I actully wanted them to be gone too, but either way, is ok w/me. My future Mother-in-law (whom I love dearly), told me she didn't really want me to go thru with the hysterectomy. She had one done about my age and since then, she has had nothing but problems with the female parts. I think she thinks its ALL because of her having the hysterectomy. She is the ONLY BAD story I've been told about hysterectomies. ALL others have had no problems. I do feel it has ALOT to do with your outlook on life itself. Your attitude plays a hugh part in too and thats why I try to keep a POSITIVE ATTITUDE.

AuntieDee007...you asked if anyone has experienced a roller coaster of emotions while going thru thier situation???? When I, was first was told I had CIN-III/STAGE0, I was a total wreck. For the next 6 weeks, I was up and down, just like that rollercoaster, hehe.. and I was a basket case in every way. Anything would make me cry, my moods were up and down with good and bad days. So, I know what your going thru. Don't know what I would have done w/o my mate. He's been very supportive and has been there for me from the get-go. He has helped to pick me back up each n everytime. He taught me to take charge of my life and NOT let life take charge of me. BUT...now its getting closer to my surgery date, and I find myself getting down and having mood swings, w/o realizing it. Once I started having a better attitude, about everything, I started to feel sooo much better and not so moody. Glad to hear your man is standing there by your side. They (the men in our lives) don't understand fully on what we're really going thru, but it is nice to know they will stand by you and be supportive of you, to where others will just walk out on the situation and he leaves it to the woman to deal with it. AuntiDee007...thank your the good luck. hehe... I'm hoping I won't need any, but I'll still take it as... anything and everything will help. I'll be back on after my surgery to report back to everyone, as I hope everything goes good with me so I can come back and be able to help someone else, but I'll be around till I go under. Thanks for all the encouragement.

When I had mine I waited a month but, was still scared. You have to let your cervix heal from where they took some from.

Has anyone had vaginal bleeding after a strained bowel movement, after having a LEEP? This just happened to me and I can't find much on the internet. Should I worry?

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support NCCC

Help the National Cervical Cancer Coalition reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Discussion topics

Community leaders