Recurrent Cervical Cancer

Hi all. I'm new here. I am the caregiver to my wife, she was diagnosed with stage 4 a cervical cancer in March 2011. She went through chemo radiation and bracky. We got a NED Nov. 12. IT was awesome. She then when into kidney failure do to the cancer crushing her uters. She as Nephrostomy tubes in that keep her kidneys functioning. She's had them for about a year now. We continued to get NEDs even until Dec. 7th, 2012. Well about 2 and a half weeks ago we got the news that she has 3 tumors in her pelvic each being about an inch big. We also found out that they are inoperable. The reason they can't operate is too much radiation damage. They have started her on 6 rounds of chemo hoping it will put her into remission. So needless to say we are a bit scared but we know there is hope. I'm just hoping for some similar stories.

Thank you
Jennifer

19 replies. Join the discussion

my daughter has her cancer back too. its s 4 inch mass in her pelvic region. may involve her pelvic. we are at sloan kettering right now . they are deciding if they will do a pelvic exenteration or not. I will keep you posted. My daughter had radiation and a radical hysterectomy and they followed it with radiation

We are in BC, Canada. I find it very different from treatment from USA to Canada.

emotionalpond,
How is treatment different in C anada from in US, in your experience? Thanks.

Well they will not give her a Pelvic Extraction eventhough there is only tumors in the pelvic. I read all over the place that in the US they will do the extration or cyber knife. We don't have that option here. I find it fusterating that we can't get surgery done. I just find that cancer treatment in the US is more advanced then Canada I guess.

Thanks Heybop for the welcome! I'm not too sure how to change my settings?

Emotionalpond,

There are also studies in the US indicating the emotional damage done to a patient if a pelvic exeneration is done, when it does not improve the outcome. So a lot of US providers backed off of that as a first step in treatment. I read a bit about that when I was investigating it for my Sister.

Is there anyway you can come to a US facility and be examined there or at least send a copy of your records?

Prayers for your soon recovery ~

Thank you.

We cannot come to US since her medical will not be covered there. I'm hoping if the chemo doesn't work that we might be able to got to Hamilton, ON since they have the cyberknife there (if it's at all possible)

Do you guys have clinical trials up there?

I have looked but have not been able to find anything. We see the Chemo doc on Friday so I have a few questions for him and that's gonna be one of them.

emotionalpond,

Where in CANADA are you? Rochester Minnesota is not too far down into the US, has an airport -- site of The Mayo Clinic main center, thhouogh they also have clinics in Scottsdale AZ and Sarasota FL, which are not bad places to visit at this time of year.

I'm in BC. The closest to me would be Seattle or Blaine.

If your Canadian insurance situation does not cover a second opinion -- usually here ins does cover -- could you pay your way here (to US) just to get a second opinion and take that report back home? Also, are there not private docs in Canada, outside the national system, whom you could consult?

Do you have a cancer society there? Here ours sometimes can help with special transportation costs. Talk to a social worker in cancer dept. (Not just any social worker for this situation.)

I don't know what "Blaine" is or means or where it is. VERY BEST WISHES.

hi Jennifer
welcome to this site, so sorry to hear about your wife :(
My sister was diagnosed with stage 4 in Oct of 2011, we are also in Canada, she lives in Ont. I'm in Alberta. She was able to get into a clinical trial in Thunder Bay when first diagnosed, she is one of the ones able to get PET scans. They also told her she could not have any surgery as her cancer was far too advanced, she has it in some aeortic lympth nodes.
These woman are amazing, I am glad you found them on here, they gave me alot of comfort & answers whenver I need them
((hugs))
Jolene

Thank you!

I am really sorry to hear that. I will pray for a good response from chemo.

In the US a good DR will not do a pelvic exenteration if it would not offer a cure. my daughter is waiting to see if they will agree to do the surgery. we are in New York visiting with 7 Different Drs and then it goes before a board. my daughter has two children and if this will cure her we are all for it. i do wish she didnt have to do this but we accept whatever we have to.

I am so sorry for these difficult prospects you face, but so very glad you have been able to get some consults. May your family find courage and stamina. Rooting for you, all of you.

surgery off the table. they want her to have chemo. they said to shrink the tumor then check in three months. anyone have experience with this

Maggiegal: If you mean experience in having exent option removed in favor of chemo, then yes, I do. But will not discuss on public thread. Friend me, if you like, and we can talk.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support NCCC

Help the National Cervical Cancer Coalition reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Discussion topics

Community leaders