Pros and Cons of LEEP and Cold Knife Cone Biopsy

I was diagnosed with LG-SIL at 23, and (as per everything else in my life) there are "bumps in the road". my cervix tilts back. and the dysplasia is pretty far back in the cervical canal (?), and the doctor couldn't really see as far back as normal. I'm still trying to wrap my head around it all, and the doctor and nurses have been more than helpful, but I'm still concerned about the scarring, and how it will affect me later in life. I would LOVE to have a family of my own with my soon-to-be husband. I know that these two options are the only two available to me at this point, but I don't know which one would be better for me at this point in my life, keeping in mind that I do want kids later. Any advice, help, info, anything is welcome. Thank you!

3 replies. Join the discussion

your doctor should be able to provide you with the pros and cons, his recommendations, etc.....BUT he should also tell you why he's recommending treatment! most women with cin1, particularly young women like you, will clear the mild dysplasia as well as the hpv infection without any medical treatment. have you tried to clear this without medical treatment? there are steps you can take to help your body clear this.

as an fyi, both a leep and cold knife conization can impact a future pregnancy. the cold knife conization needs to be done under general anesthesia and has higher risks of bleeding and infection and is most often done with CIN3 and cancer.

he gave me the option to "wait and watch" but I wasn't comfortable with that. that is why he gave me those two options for treatment. the dysplasia is very far back in the cervical canal, and I don't know what that means as far as the treatment goes...

Particularly if you're planning a family, and I see that you're only 23, I would encourage you to give good consideration to taking a watch and wait approach....it's not doing 'nothing'....think of it as careful watching while you help your body to clear the hpv infection and dysplasia (no smoking, no tampons, using condoms even within your monogomous relationship, taking DIM supplements or eating cruciferous vegetables containing DIM, getting plenty of sleep, reducing stress, etc.). Most CIN1 will not progress into cancer, and there's no need to have surgery unnecessarily.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support NCCC

Help the National Cervical Cancer Coalition reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Discussion topics

Community leaders